Differences between TCR advanced and TCR advanced pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cho00010

by cho00010

I was trying to figure out the differences between the two models of TCR other than the fork steerer and the wheel set it comes with, but I can't find much of any use online.

A friend of mine has ridden both (although they were a few years apart) and has told me that the advanced pro has a much stiffer bottom bracket and feels much better in general. I was under the impression carbon lay-up was identical between the two?

I was also wondering if the advanced pro was worth the extra money? Are the wheels good enough to justify it considering I have a set of DT Swiss PR1400 oxics I could run instead of the Giant PR-2s.

For the extra money I'd rather get a dura-ace chainset, lighter saddle and a carbon cockpit.

Looking forward to hearing your views!

damond

by damond

The TCR advanced and TCR advanced Pro share the exact same frame. The difference is that the Advanced models use an hybrid carbon/alloy fork steerer tube whereas the Advanced Pro uses an overdrive 2 (1.1/4) carbon steerer tube. The frame is the same.

Other differences may be found on the bike's specs but that varies in each country so it would help if you post the models you are looking after.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cho00010

by cho00010

I'm in the UK market, so links to the two models and spec below:

TCR Advanced: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-1-2018
TCR Advanced pro: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-a ... pro-1-2018

If i were to go for the Advanced pro, I would have to stick with the standard cockpit / saddle / crankset, whereas I could afford to upgrade these parts with the Advanced. The goal is the lightest weight possible, but the alloy steerer might ruin that a little. I can't find any complete strip down or weights for the advanced though.

reknop

by reknop

damond wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:56 am
The TCR advanced and TCR advanced Pro share the exact same frame. The difference is that the Advanced models use an hybrid carbon/alloy fork steerer tube whereas the Advanced Pro uses an overdrive 2 (1.1/4) carbon steerer tube. The frame is the same.

Other differences may be found on the bike's specs but that varies in each country so it would help if you post the models you are looking after.
Is the carbon type used also the same? These differ with the TCR Advanced Pro and the Advanced SL. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

cho00010

by cho00010

reknop wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:24 am
damond wrote:

Is the carbon type used also the same? These differ with the TCR Advanced Pro and the Advanced SL. :)
That's what I was thinking. They seem to be the same looking at Giant's website, but I won't have the chance to ride either of these (or see them in the flesh) before buying. I have ridden an old style TCR and loved it, and I know I can get my position spot on with the geometry. But I'm replacing a steel framed bike that was around 8.7kg. My aim is to get the weight to around the 7kg mark. Reviews have shown the Advanced Pro weighs near that straight out the box, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get the Advanced frame down to that with a wheel / crankset / cockpit sway (which would also work out cheaper than buying the advanced pro).

damond

by damond

cho00010 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:42 pm
reknop wrote:
damond wrote:

That's what I was thinking. They seem to be the same looking at Giant's website, but I won't have the chance to ride either of these (or see them in the flesh) before buying. I have ridden an old style TCR and loved it, and I know I can get my position spot on with the geometry. But I'm replacing a steel framed bike that was around 8.7kg. My aim is to get the weight to around the 7kg mark. Reviews have shown the Advanced Pro weighs near that straight out the box, but I was wondering if it would be possible to get the Advanced frame down to that with a wheel / crankset / cockpit sway (which would also work out cheaper than buying the advanced pro).
Carbon layup is the same between advanced and advanced pro frames.

Differences are:

TCR Advanced - lower carbon grade, alloy dropouts (front + rear), alloy bb shell, hybrid steerer (1.1/8)
TCR Advanced PRO - lower carbon grade, alloy dropouts (front + rear), alloy bb shell, carbon steerer fork (1.1/4)
TCR Advanced SL - higher carbon grade, carbon dropouts (front + rear), carbon bb shell, full carbon fork

I would go with the adv pro. The wheels are hugely better (wheels are amazing to be honest) and the cockpit is fine. I am not sure if you can compensate the weight difference of the fork by upgrading the saddle and cockpit and then again, you'll still end up with a heavier a lower end fork.
If you get the ADV PRO you could always upgrade the cockpit and saddle later!

The ADV PRO model you're looking will come close to 7kg stock!

Cyclist999

by Cyclist999

damond wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:58 pm
cho00010 wrote:
reknop wrote:
damond wrote:

Differences are:

TCR Advanced - lower carbon grade, alloy dropouts (front + rear), alloy bb shell, hybrid steerer (1.1/8)
TCR Advanced PRO - lower carbon grade, alloy dropouts (front + rear), alloy bb shell, carbon steerer fork (1.1/4)
TCR Advanced SL - higher carbon grade, carbon dropouts (front + rear), carbon bb shell, full carbon fork

I would go with the adv pro. The wheels are hugely better (wheels are amazing to be honest) and the cockpit is fine. I am not sure if you can compensate the weight difference of the fork by upgrading the saddle and cockpit and then again, you'll still end up with a heavier a lower end fork.

Hi.

I really wonder that if there is any rigidity difference on bottom bracket region between Advanced - Adv. Pro - Adv. SL? (Real values I mean, not by feeling, feeling is very subjective and swap the wheels with sluggish one it directly becomes not much rigid bike, if you take into account. or we can say bikes have to be identical in other regions except for frameset.
(BTW stiffness is a mechanical property term of a material and also known as young's modulus or elastic modulus, and this value has little effect on rigidity of bb area compared to geometry of tubes and their joint type, I tired seeing so much stiffness word from even big brands.
Toray 700 (carbon fiber used in Adv. and Pro) and Toray 800 (CF used in SL version) also doesnt differ too much in terms of fiber direction stiffness (tensile modulus) in composite form - T700S has 140 GPa E1 while T800S has 154 GPa in E1-
But the critical case here is, you can achive same rigidity level using less material if you use higher grade carbon fiber.
And this is happened, SL frame is 100 gr (at most that I reach) lighter than non-sl version, but I think most probably has same rigidity on bb area, others come to me only for commercial purposes, really dont know yet so you can be brave for big price gap.
I do know that overdrive 2 rather than standard version has most probably difference in terms of rigidity (Giant says it is 30% but I dont believe it), and a little bit lightweight (I dont give a chance that it might not even 50 gr) thanks to its oversized diameter and material.

I do reach some tables comparing about rigidity and weight back to 2013 from Giant.
I do not give a ... those tables. Commercial (but I gave some value in past)
Firstly, I believe Giant should have definitely played on placement of their models. It is hierarchical by prices. Otherwise, it would be meaningless, if you show your TCR Advanced bb rigidity same as ISP version, it will be loss for the company, after this why one goes to SL version :D.
I had Focus Variado, Adv. Propel 2 2016 and have TCR Aluxx-SL and TCR Adv. 2017 is in the way :D
Focus Variado - has no rigidity for sure, it is just dull, zombie :D
Adv.Propel - Ohh my gosh after Variado it felt as I am in heaven. Steering rigidity has thaat level just brilliant. Also, on bb, I felt the concrete especially on high torques from 0 km/h to 30 km/h and also on hills when I stand up, I felt every bit of mm square of rigidity that I can say
And there is 2013 Aluxx SL 1 (special series-that has rear tire channel), oo man, this is the most rigid bike on bb area, however not too much than Propel, definitely very minimal.
Disappointment of this frame is the sluggish feel at front end, it is just zombie on there with respect to Propel.
I had also chance to ride 2013 standard TCR Aluxx SL. Mine has more rigidity but again not too much on bb area, but they are nearly identical, even standart version has more on steering region.
(Components used while testing "actually feeling" the rigidity were nearly identical)
(Test has been done 0 to 30 km/h, and on short sharp hill that forced you to stand up if you want to sprint)

When I got my beautiful TCR Advanced 1 2017 (I hope), I will leave a comment in 3 months.

zirxo

by zirxo

damond wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:58 pm
cho00010 wrote:
reknop wrote:
damond wrote:

Differences are:

The wheels really are fantastic, they're light and stiff enough and they're delivered with tubeless tires.

And the bike weighs about 7.2kg out of the box.

Cyclist999

by Cyclist999

Yeah, I think the components have the real difference. Mine is only frameset of TCR Advanced. I have managed to find :)

VamP

by VamP

I think that TCR Advanced Pro is the bargain of the season.

I was planning to just get the frame and build it up from existing components, but last year's Pro with 105 and the SLR wheels is £1600 odd in the sales, as opposed to £1300 odd for the frameset.

So nice wheels, complete 105, and various finishing bits for £300. Or if you prefer, £800 for wheels, £300 for 105, and £200 for bars, stem, tape, cables and saddle, and the frame comes in for free :D

The 105 has gone on my winter bike, the Advanced Pro now sports Sram Red and my 1,200g race tubs at around 6.5kg in M/L.

In terms of performance - it replaces Canyon Ultimate SLX, and I am really enjoying the solidity of the ride. Responsive, comfortable, great handling and I can get into a really aggressive position too.

As for the SLR wheelset. I am not in principle a fan of carbon clinchers, so I was a bit ambivalent about getting these. I took the Gavia's straight off and fitted Vittoria Corsa's with latex tube. Need more miles, but first impressions are very positive, including, against expectation, braking in the wet. I had intended them to be my training wheels, but I think I'd be happy to race on them TBH.

Oh, and the internal cable routing on the TCR is a doddle.

Cyclist999

by Cyclist999

Thanks for the feedback :)

defride

by defride

I picked up a 2017 Advanced 1 to use as a winter bike a few weeks back. Can't remember where but I did find someone claiming to have weighed a frame and fork in M/L at around 1400g the frame and 550g the fork. Not light! Would expect the carbon steerer Pro fork to come in under 400g. The wheels on the stock bike are below average, very heavy and have been consigned to worst case spares. They go around but you notice them when on a hill, the Giant tyres are pretty grippy so I'll probably reuse them at some point but haven't had them off yet to weigh.

I put some handbuilt 38mm carbon clincers on changed out the stock bar to a 3T Team carbon I had and the saddle to a Flite Ti. The bike now weighs in at 7.2kg. Could easily bring that down to 7kg by simply swapping in my Red cassette and adding a set of light skewers.

The complete stock wheelset with cassette and tyres but excl skewers weighed in some 800g more than the carbon wheels with a Vittoria G+ front/One Pro rear and Ultegra cassette.

As a ride it feels solid, nothing outstanding but more than adequate for my purpose. It's sharp handling tracking beautifully through corners however it's not as stable as I'm used to at high speed and in cross winds, feels a little nervous, just need to be on top of it a bit more. The Evo Black I have does it all and feels more responsive but it really should at the price. The Cube the Giant replaces felt more stable and more comfortable cutting out road chatter better but always felt a bit of a slug. You needed to bully it up a hill, here the Giant does noticeably better.

All in all it's decent and offers good value for money especially at the close out price I got it. If you're looking to hit 7kg and don't already have a light wheelset I'd suggest the Pro is likely a cheaper way of getting there.

Cyclist999

by Cyclist999

Thanks.
The main problem here that I do definitely give no chance that frame is 1400 gr, it is just impossible. It is sub 1 kg frame for sure. Therefore that mate's assumption is most probably wrong: it can not be only bold frame. 400 gr for fork is ok without cut. Tcr aluxx sl overdrive 2 fork comes in 388 gr.

VamP

by VamP

Cyclist999 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Thanks.
The main problem here that I do definitely give no chance that frame is 1400 gr, it is just impossible. It is sub 1 kg frame for sure. Therefore that mate's assumption is most probably wrong: it can not be only bold frame. 400 gr for fork is ok without cut. Tcr aluxx sl overdrive 2 fork comes in 388 gr.
Yes the ML frame is in the 900g range.

defride

by defride

Cyclist999 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Thanks.
Sorry, my mistake that should be frameset at around 1400g. And the fork, seen plenty alloy steerer forks at +500g, heavy! When I drop mine out to cut the steerer I'll get an accurate weight and post a pic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com