Adding color to black bike. Ideas?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

Whatever colour you choose you will get bored eventually. Stick with things not to expensive and easy to replace.

TLN

by TLN

I have one cage in gloss black that looks great on matte frame next to glossy black logo.
Jenmoss wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 pm
Whatever colour you choose you will get bored eventually. Stick with things not to expensive and easy to replace.
Good point. In that case it's better to stick to black saddle.
I'm thinking what else I can do besides barends/topcap/bartape. Either way, seems that I have to start somewhere and order something.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Specialized Acid Mint Power saddle & HD wrap tape.

Jenmoss

by Jenmoss

TLN wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 pm
I have one cage in gloss black that looks great on matte frame next to glossy black logo.
Jenmoss wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 pm
Good point. In that case it's better to stick to black saddle.
I'm thinking what else I can do besides barends/topcap/bartape. Either way, seems that I have to start somewhere and order something.
Colourful bolts ( chainring bolts etc )are a cheap but effective way to highlight colour and outercable housing.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

TLN wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:49 pm
But I can have black saddle(with any bartape)? I still have limited Phenom saddle from my Allez Edition, but I understand that I have add only Pink/Red after that.
Get some of the Supacaz fade tape. I have the purple Allez Sprint with White jagwire brake cables (shift is Di2) and I did the Supacaz Star Fade with black on top and white on bottom. My bars are Zipp aero, so they are only wrapped just past the bend at the tops. Black on top down to white in the drops worked really well.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

TLN

by TLN

Got all the stuff I wanted:

Supacal Oil Slick looks really cool: purple and blue. Bartape and jagwire cables looks okay: wish they're a tad darker.

Looks a bit too bright. I like that color (actually color of the year 2018, according to pantone), but still have some doubts. What do you guys think?
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

TonyM

by TonyM

WOW that purple colour on the black especially with the purple stars makes it very unique I would say... :mrgreen:

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Skewers, bottle, bottle cage, headset cap, bar tape, wheel hub, cables, saddle, seat clamp, chain, wheel decals, bar end cap, etc...
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

^^^ Anyone who runs a metal water bottle should not be allowed to ride in groups.

spazmaster

by spazmaster

TLN wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 pm
Got a new bike for 2018 season - Specialized Tarmac disc, Black matte frame with black gloss decals.
Did you "get a new bike" as in purchased the bike upfront to get as soon as the Tarmac 2018 disc is released or something else?
I thought the Tarmac disc isn't even listed in the Specialized dealer software...

TonyM

by TonyM

spazmaster wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:20 pm
TLN wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 pm
Got a new bike for 2018 season - Specialized Tarmac disc, Black matte frame with black gloss decals.
Did you "get a new bike" as in purchased the bike upfront to get as soon as the Tarmac 2018 disc is released or something else?
I thought the Tarmac disc isn't even listed in the Specialized dealer software...
The "New" Tarmac Disc is not released yet - the Tarmac Disc is still sold.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Probably not going to be able to add much that others haven't...

Cable housing
bar tape
Bottle cages
Bottle
saddle (match the tape, or white)

One thing that my bikes always get hit with is a bit of reflective tape in either white or black (red if the bike already has red in it). Mostly because most of my rides are pre-dawn for like 2/3 of the year and I like to be visible.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

ergott

by ergott

Call me crazy, but I'm really not a fan of colored tires. All black or tan sidewalls.

Easy to get colored bits like anodized bolts very inexpensively. Any headset spacers? Skewers?

I have a couple black bikes and usually believe that less is more. Some people go too far and make the housing, bar tape, saddle, skewers, and everything else imaginable one color and I'm not a fan. I'd say pick a couple things and let their color pop.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m with @ergott , there’s a fine line between classy and tacky.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

We decided to get some spiffy spokes for our new tandem wheels. They are stainless steel spokes with a titanium plating. Then they are anodized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk