The ultimate saddle bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hellgate

by Hellgate

I use this Garneau. Small. Carries a tube, two cylinders, two levers, thin patch kit, multitool and Allen keys.

https://garneau.com/us/en/mini-lg-race- ... ack-020-60

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

fogman wrote:Sticky Pod. This is what I use.
ImageImage
If had
Clinchers, this would scream winner to me.

Something to consider:

-Most 500cc (small) water bottles weight about 60’s grm. Cut the top 2/3 of it and stick it in your seat tube cage. You now have a 40 grm +/- “bag”!! Holds more than most small-Med saddle bags too!!

survivor

by survivor

dgasmd wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:35 pm
If had
Clinchers, this would scream winner to me.

Something to consider:

-Most 500cc (small) water bottles weight about 60’s grm. Cut the top 2/3 of it and stick it in your seat tube cage. You now have a 40 grm +/- “bag”!! Holds more than most small-Med saddle bags too!!
There are some population of cyclists that don't like to have the tools in their jersey pockets. I have learned that it could be a safety hazard as well if there is an accident and landing on the back with tools in jersey pockets.

Using water bottle as a storage obviously will sacrifice a water bottle which may not be ideal if going for a longer ride.

rpowell

by rpowell

i want something beautiful and carbon fiber that makes the bike look fast with everything integrated. something carbon fiber that is shaped like a arundel bottle cage and has precision mounting like a k-edge. i want the multi-tool to sit on the outside to show off precision like when you walk into a bike shop and see all the cool tools on the wall. maybe some cool clip for co2 like how a water bottle fits in a cage. and a way to capture a neatly rolled tube. keep it simple and beautiful.

survivor

by survivor

rpowell wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:49 am
i want something beautiful and carbon fiber that makes the bike look fast with everything integrated. something carbon fiber that is shaped like a arundel bottle cage and has precision mounting like a k-edge. i want the multi-tool to sit on the outside to show off precision like when you walk into a bike shop and see all the cool tools on the wall. maybe some cool clip for co2 like how a water bottle fits in a cage. and a way to capture a neatly rolled tube. keep it simple and beautiful.
Some of what you said have been in our design language. I hope you will like what you see eventually :thumbup:

LVGH

by LVGH

For me the best saddlebag so far is the Arundel Dual. It ticks most of boxes that matter to me:

* size is exactly perfect (fit and forget, ready for long days in the saddle): carries 2 tubes, levers, CO2 inflater, 2 cartridges, valve core remover (tightener...), a small multitool (or hex keys), pair of rubber gloves, tire patch.
* no strap on the seatpost, leather patch prevents premature wear
* vertical orientation means it doesn't rub your shorts
* reasonable weight (50-60g)
* affordable (I paid around € 10,-) although it's not so easy to find anymore these days
* simple looks without fancy logo's etc but subtle color options available

What is doesn't tick, but these are less relevant to me:

* if it is stuffed like mine you can't access all the contents without taking it off
* not completely waterproof
* reflectiveness or the option to easily attach a rear light to it
* it could touch the seatpost if it has zero setback

dgasmd

by dgasmd

survivor wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 am
Using water bottle as a storage obviously will sacrifice a water bottle which may not be ideal if going for a longer ride.
I live in South FL where it is hot all the time, so carrying plenty of fluids is not a choice, but a necessity. After buying and trying about 9 different seatbags, several strap methods, using my back pocket (still do on occasion), and many other permutations, I have settled with the downtime bottle cage method. I bought a few 1 Liter water bottles. They weight slightly more than a 750 cc one, but when you do the math of cc/grm you realize you are saving quite a few gems by having a single 1L bottle rather than 2x 500cc ones. It lasts me 1-1.5 hr to drink it, which is plenty of time to run into a place where I can refill.

Conclusion: WINNER in more ways than one!! :welcome:

PS: BTW, I don't get the obsession with carrying tools. In decades of riding I am yet to have a single episode where I wished I had one to fix something on the road. I fix my stuff at home and double check it so it doesn't fail on the road. I do carry CO2 and a tiny mini pump for "what if" or to lend to others if needed. :beerchug:

survivor

by survivor

dgasmd wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm

I live in South FL where it is hot all the time, so carrying plenty of fluids is not a choice, but a necessity. After buying and trying about 9 different seatbags, several strap methods, using my back pocket (still do on occasion), and many other permutations, I have settled with the downtime bottle cage method. I bought a few 1 Liter water bottles. They weight slightly more than a 750 cc one, but when you do the math of cc/grm you realize you are saving quite a few gems by having a single 1L bottle rather than 2x 500cc ones. It lasts me 1-1.5 hr to drink it, which is plenty of time to run into a place where I can refill.

Conclusion: WINNER in more ways than one!! :welcome:

PS: BTW, I don't get the obsession with carrying tools. In decades of riding I am yet to have a single episode where I wished I had one to fix something on the road. I fix my stuff at home and double check it so it doesn't fail on the road. I do carry CO2 and a tiny mini pump for "what if" or to lend to others if needed. :beerchug:
Hopefully what we are working on will give you back your water bottle and a solution to your tool storage :D

survivor

by survivor

It has been a while.

We are hard at work and getting really close now. There are several adjustments we made to our design since the last update. Below is a quick comparison with some other saddle bags out there today. We haven't name our product yet so it is call "Project X" for now.

It took us some time to balance the size and storage capacity. We would like to hear your further feedback on flexibility of storage. Is this something matters to you? If we took away the feature of expansion, we could potentially shrink down the size further.

We are also very excited about our proprietary attachment system which is tool-less installation, no special mounting bracket needed, works universally across saddles, and very fast to attach and remove. How fast? Typical Velcro attachment would probably takes 10 - 15 seconds to attach and probably slightly faster for removal. Our proprietary attachment system can do it in 1 - 2 seconds, either attachment or removal.

Disclaimer: Below comparison details are based on our personal usage of respective saddle bags and the storage items are based on the items we have and doesn't represent every variations of equivalent items out there in the market.

dj97223

by dj97223

I'm looking forward to hearing more. :thumbup:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

It may be necessary to look at different target market segments and make a version for each. E.g. for the minimalists no storage expansion option. Depending on how much resources you have you might focus on one particular version, get it nailed down, then expand to the rest. The size of the WW market is not that large, that may matter to you.

Nowadays I use a black water bottle and stuff everything in there. It's just having a different way of doing things that makes it interesting for me.

TLN

by TLN

antonioiglesius wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 pm
Nowadays I use a black water bottle and stuff everything in there. It's just having a different way of doing things that makes it interesting for me.
Which one? How do you like it?
I got a speedslev, and really like it, but was thinking about "tool bottle"
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

antonioiglesius

by antonioiglesius

TLN wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:58 pm
Which one? How do you like it?
I got a speedslev, and really like it, but was thinking about "tool bottle"
It's a Camelbak Podium. I don't know if the all-black version has always been around, maybe I just didn't notice it before. I went to the LBS looking for the Lezyne bottle caddy, but saw this and I thought: "All black, cool".

I did think the mouth narrowing might pose an issue, but it turned out not to be that important since nothing going into the bottle is wider than the mouth. I didn't want to cut it as it's still new and that seems wasteful. I still can't get two tubes in it, perhaps I can if I put some effort into it. Or maybe I need a bigger bottle.

I do like the look of no saddle bag, though I'm sure I'll go back to one sometime in the future. Just to keep things interesting.

survivor

by survivor

antonioiglesius wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:32 pm
That leave you with only one water bottle when you are out on the ride?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Yepp! To use a water bottle spot for this is only for short rides - or frequent stops at the gas station/ coffee shop for drinking....