2016 TCR Advanced M Size Stack and Reach different?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MagicShite

by MagicShite

As we all know, Giant revamped the TCR lineup in 2016 and had been publicly acknowledged to sport the same frame set geometries for 2017, 2018.

I've been having second thoughts about the sizing (179cm, 80cm inseam) since they gave out their new size guide. I'm on an M but I thought M/L may suit me better is when I realized the following:

The 2016 M size sports a 386mm reach but the 2017 and above M size sports a 383mm reach.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced-1-2016 (2016)
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcr-advanced--2 (2018)

So if they were the same, either the 2016 has the wrong specs or vice versa?

(I'm from South East Asia, bike shops typically don' stock anything larger than 54cm/M Size, so I really can't try out the bikes before I purchase. Damn shame really)

istigatrice

by istigatrice

pretty sure the 2016 model is listing the old TCR geometry (pre 2016), the 2018 website appears to have the correct geometry.. If you've got long arms and torso (i.e. wingspan>height) I'd suggest a 56 or M/L may be worth trying.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diegogarcia

by diegogarcia

Oddly so many TCR geo charts out there. I looked long and hard when I bought my ADV SL. It seems Giant steepened the seat tube angle by half a degree with the current frame thus shorting the reach a tad. In the end I went ML which is effectively the same geo as my old 56cm tarmacs but with an extra 10mm in the head tube. Do remember giant give you the option of flipping the clamp and getting KOPS right on the seat post clamps on non ISP and ISP bikes if you are short legged in relative terms to the geo. I love my TCR ML. An incredible do it all machine.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Are you sure your height and inseam measures are accurate? I have very average proportions, maybe a touch short in the leg and long in the torso, and at 182.5 cm, my inseam is 87 cm. This suggest you have very short legs and a long torso. If your arms are also long the ML is workable. However if you are looking for a lot of drop from the saddle to the bars you might not get it on an ML because your saddle will be relatively low. A medium with a long stem would be your solution in that case.

FWIW I always rode an ML when I was on TCR's.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

A little late update.

Just tried out the Fit Calculator on Competitive Cyclist:

Actual Inseam 82 Cm
Trunk 65.4 Cm
Forearm 33.5 Cm
Arm 62 Cm
Thigh 58.5 Cm
Lower Leg 53.5 Cm
Sternal Notch 145 Cm
Total Height 179 Cm

Competitive Fit puts me at:

Top Tube Length 53.8 - 54.2 Cm
Seat Tube Range CC 53.1 - 53.6 Cm
Seat Tube Range CT 54.7 - 55.2 Cm
Stem Length 10.9 - 11.5 Cm
BB Saddle Position 73.2 - 75.2 Cm
Saddle Handlebar 51.9 - 52.5 Cm
Saddle Setback 4.5 - 4.9 Cm
Seatpost Type Not Setback

This is about M-ish size.

Damn now I'm even more confused.

I just need to try out a real M/L and I would have known. Why can't anyone here stock properly sized bikes!

addict

by addict

I'm 179 with 86 inseam, 2017 TCR disc size M fits me super! Don't buy M/L, you would only move saddle 1-2 cm backwards, or swap the stem for longer.
For recommended setback think stem)

MagicShite

by MagicShite

addict wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:18 pm
I'm 179 with 86 inseam, 2017 TCR disc size M fits me super! Don't buy M/L, you would only move saddle 1-2 cm backwards, or swap the stem for longer.
For recommended setback think stem)
Thanks for chipping in.

My saddle is already pretty much slammed behind (longer upper legs apparently) and I'm using a 110mm stem.

Now contemplating 120mm stem, which still prompts me to ask if I would have been a happier man on a M/L.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

if you put any faith in the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator than a medium is your size. Do you want your saddle even further back? If the saddle position is OK and if you can handle the saddle to bar drop than it is just a matter of getting the stem length right.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com