Specialized Tarmac SL5 vs SL6

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jian81

by Jian81

Hi guys, im currently in the market for a new Specialized road bike. Looking to get a frameset and build up the bike myself with my own components. I have narrowed down to get a Tarmac but now my dilemma is whether to go for the SL6 or a SL5.

I have an option of:
1) 3 month old used 2017 Tarmac Sworks SL5 Limited Colour changing Torch Edition frameset (around $1800USD)

OR

2) wait for A brand new Tarmac SL6 Sworks frameset (around $4000USD)

I would like to know for those who have ridden both a SL5 and SL6, is there a big difference between the two in terms of ride quality and weight? Do you think its worth the difference in my case? Which would you go for?

Thanks in advance for any help! Cheers! :beerchug:

itsacarr

by itsacarr

I would say this is really a question of money and latest greatest. Both frame sets are excellent TBH. I would not call the new tarmac demonstrably better. Good for sure with some nice feature updates though.
Just ride ..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

toronto-rider

by toronto-rider

I currently own a Sworks SL5 And love the bike. I know the SL6 is slightly better, however come 2019, you will not find a major manufacturer selling rim brake bikes. Once the pros are on discs, that’s it.
I have discs on my CX bike and how people say that a rim bike is just as good I dont know.
Rim brake bikes will take a big it on the used market, especially the high end ones.
Buy the SL5 and then come 2019 or 2020, you would not have taken much of a hit when you want to but that disc bike.

I also have the Roval CLX 50 wheels with 25 tubeless tires. Amazing ride with the SL5. Just dont ask me to stop in the rain with those.
Cant wait for the new Tarmac to come out in disc version.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

My impression is the SL5 rides great but the SL6 is significantly lighter (at least in WW terms). Is the 200ish gram savings worth the money to you if the ride is otherwise nearly identical?

Jian81

by Jian81

Hmmm...thanks for your input guys. All makes perfect sense.

Also i have another option for a Chapter 2 Tere Frameset.
Cost a little more @ $1900USD but its brand new and what i like is that they have a crash replacement policy. The frame design and geometry looks very modern( with the dropped seat stays and aero profile) as compared the Tarmac SL5 and the finish looks incredible as well.
It weighs lighter as well compared to a Tarmac SL5.

Cons is that they are a new brand and not trialed and tested unlike the Tarmac. Ride quality may not be as good or maybe even better?

What do you guys think? Thanks

sawyer

by sawyer

toronto-rider wrote:come 2019, you will not find a major manufacturer selling rim brake bikes.

You'll be wrong on this.

Shall we bet a new, high-end major manufacturer produced, rim-braked bicycle?
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

russianbear

by russianbear

If you can wait around a little, the Tarmac disk is suppose to be released in Q1 2018. Depending on if you can make the jump. As people are saying, 2019 model year onwards, you'll probably only see rim brakes on the lower end (like the $1600-3000 Tarmacs) and as framesets on high zoot bikes.

sun

by sun

I've owned both. The SL5 is a good bike and the price difference from what you would spend is quite a large gap. The SL6 is a bit more comfortable, a bit more aero and a bit lighter. If the price difference is worth it, then go for the SL6. It isn't a night and day difference however.

idphm46

by idphm46

I recommend sl6 disc version

tguillaume

by tguillaume

Hi,

i have the 2 bikes, 1 SL5 and the new one SL6 :P

I cannot answer yet because outside there is no good weather (snow or rain...) :(

What can i say it is about the weight :

Tarmac S-Works SL5 size 56 with full Dura-Ace 9000 (mechanic) and Fulcrum Wheels Speed 40C weight 7,15 kg

Tarmac S-Works SL6 size 56 with full Dura-Ace 9150 (Di2) and Fulcrum Wheels Speed 40C weight 6,85 kg

My 2 bikes have the same stem (S-Works 100mm), handle bars (Specialized Expert Alloy 420mm), crakset 172,5mm with 50/34, Selle Italia SLR Titanium, Garmin Sensors (2) and the K-Edge for the Garmin Edge 1000 !

DCcyclist

by DCcyclist

tguillaume wrote:Hi,

i have the 2 bikes, 1 SL5 and the new one SL6 :P

I cannot answer yet because outside there is no good weather (snow or rain...) :(

What can i say it is about the weight :

Tarmac S-Works SL5 size 56 with full Dura-Ace 9000 (mechanic) and Fulcrum Wheels Speed 40C weight 7,15 kg

Tarmac S-Works SL6 size 56 with full Dura-Ace 9150 (Di2) and Fulcrum Wheels Speed 40C weight 6,85 kg

My 2 bikes have the same stem (S-Works 100mm), handle bars (Specialized Expert Alloy 420mm), crakset 172,5mm with 50/34, Selle Italia SLR Titanium, Garmin Sensors (2) and the K-Edge for the Garmin Edge 1000 !

F*cking drooling over here. Love the SL6!
2019 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

phm8147

by phm8147

I think sl6 is better than sl5

fh8425

by fh8425

toronto-rider wrote: however come 2019, you will not find a major manufacturer selling rim brake bikes. Once the pros are on discs, that’s it.
i will be totally devastated !!

Aya

by Aya

I like the shape of SL5 frame than SL6. But I've been told the Torch Edition's color changing function is gradually disappearing over time. In addition the Torch Edition doesn't have S-WORKS logo on its side. So, If I have to choose between two of them, I would pick SL6.

moonoi

by moonoi

Jian81 wrote:Hmmm...thanks for your input guys. All makes perfect sense.

Also i have another option for a Chapter 2 Tere Frameset.
Cost a little more @ $1900USD but its brand new and what i like is that they have a crash replacement policy. The frame design and geometry looks very modern( with the dropped seat stays and aero profile) as compared the Tarmac SL5 and the finish looks incredible as well.
It weighs lighter as well compared to a Tarmac SL5.

Cons is that they are a new brand and not trialed and tested unlike the Tarmac. Ride quality may not be as good or maybe even better?

What do you guys think? Thanks
Having ridden a Tarmac SL5 and owning a C2 Tere, I would recommend going with the Tere. It's every bit as good, if not better than the Tarmac for a fraction of the cost, as well as the warranty being global, so it doesn't matter if you move halfway across the world, if you have problem it will be sorted.

If you can try and test ride one, after that I'm sure you'll forget about the Tarmac Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com