Difference in bearing cup width between SRAM GXP and Shimano Hollowtech II?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Hey everyone

I just bought a SRAM Red eTap GXP crankset and I have an ITA (Italian thread) GXP crank box on my way. However, I took off my Shimano Ultegra 6800 crankset and noticed the spindles are different length.

Have I made some kind of mistake or are the bearing cups on a GXP crank box wider than Shimano Hollowtech II bearing cups to accommodate the longer spindle?

The crankset is going to be mounted on a Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2 which has an Italian threaded bottom bracket.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Chris3g

by Chris3g

I just did the same swap on my similar bike (2016 Pinarello Gan S), swapped out an ultegra 6800 crank and hallowtech BB for Sram red crank and GXP BB. I didn’t compare spindle lengths but everything went together fine and was very straightforward, I don’t see why you would have any issue.

grover

by grover

You haven't made a mistake. Your GXP crank will install perfectly in your italian threaded frame with an italian threaded GXP bottom bracket.

The GXP driveside crankarm doesn't actually contact the driveside bottom bracket cup. Rather the non-driveside bearing is captured between the non-drive crankarm and a lip on the spindle to stop lateral movement. Hence the GXP spindle looks longer.

The HT2 interface is purely the two bearing cups being sandwiched between the two crankarms.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

you don't need to change the bottom bracket either.. around 3usd you can get adapters for accomodating gxp chainsets to ht2 bottom brackets

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MTB-Bic ... 0.0.R5vTS7

search aliexpress for

"MTB Bicycle Bike Bottom Brackets Adjustable Washer 24mm To 22mm Alloy BB Axis Conversion Set "

junchen

by junchen

Tks for the tip!

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Greenduck

by Greenduck

Thanks for all the replies.

I just received the box and everything fits perfectly together.
For those interested, the SRAM GXP bearing cups are much wider (per cup) than the Shimano Hollowtech II cups. Shimano HTII is approx. 10mm, SRAM GXP is approx. 13mm in width.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com