Wahoo Element Bolt - negative display field?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

The promotional image for the Elemnt Bolt shows a negative display speed field.

Can you actually do that on the Bolt? Looking at real life videos I don't see anyone doing it. Thinking about switching from Garmin and researching features..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

youngs_modulus

by youngs_modulus

The negative display field indicates which field is tied to the LED strip at the top. To get the speed displayed as a negative, you’d need to tie it to the LEDs. That means the LEDs light up more as you go faster.

Because no one needs the LEDs to tell them when they’re going relatively fast, they’re redundant if you tie them to the speed field. No one does that, which is why you don’t see the negative speed field in videos.

Shrike

by Shrike

So if you had the LEDs tied to watts, the watts field would turn negative?

That'd be class :P

glepore

by glepore

No, I have my led's set to power and it doesn't. The leds display zones, not actual watts. I guess if you had a field set up for zones it might invert. Speed and hr do invert when selected for leds.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

stevec1975

by stevec1975

I have my bolt set up like that, the LED lights link to if I am up or down on the Avg speed. It's fairly useful.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

So how do I get the LEDs to light up in sequence left to right and back? Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxE2xWZNfOc

Shrike

by Shrike

Oh, bit of a shame. Hope they add it later in an update. Do Wahoo update their products with new features like Garmin does quite regularly?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

That negative field, I believe, is the Speed vs Avg or Speed vs Lap, not speed.

stevod

by stevod

Shrike wrote:Oh, bit of a shame. Hope they add it later in an update. Do Wahoo update their products with new features like Garmin does quite regularly?

Yes!

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... re-Updates

Shrike

by Shrike

jfranci3 wrote:That negative field, I believe, is the Speed vs Avg or Speed vs Lap, not speed.

Ah that's quite clever. So you can see your speed and average speed and get a kick up the backside all in the same field :lol:

stevod wrote:
Shrike wrote:Oh, bit of a shame. Hope they add it later in an update. Do Wahoo update their products with new features like Garmin does quite regularly?

Yes!

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en- ... re-Updates

Like it! Only been out since March and they're putting in solid updates. Gonna pick one up and hope they let us have a watts negative field in future 8)

Buhbyee Garmin :P
Last edited by Shrike on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shrike

by Shrike

DBL post :shock:

Jensa

by Jensa

I would say they updates more with new function then garmin does. atleast thats my experience after owning a garmin device and now a elemnt bolt. With garmin it was as you were a paying beta tester, they send out a fix to a bug and give you two new ones. I was bored of that the best thing i could do when garmin let out a new software, was waiting a week, and then go to garmin forum to see if anyone had a problem with the new software before i update. haven't had anything like that with wahoo. And bigger updates to the wahoo, with for example the new live tracking.

stevod

by stevod

^Agree. I moved from Edge 500 to 520 to the Bolt.

Shrike I don't think you'll be disappointed.

saba

by saba

Single session on a wahoo = sworn off Garmin until they fundamentally change their approach.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Sounds like you guys are getting on well with yours. Mine's arriving tomorrow. Some good news for you! 8)

Hi xxxx,

Thank you for your inquiry. The data field associated with the power LEDs is going to be 3s AVG Power.
However, we do have a current firmware bug that is causing that power field to not invert correctly.
Our developers are aware of this issue and are actively working on a fix for it.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

xxxxxxx