2018 S-Works Tarmac Sizing 49cm Vs 52cm

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

My saddle to bb is also 68cm. The reason i didn’t buy 49 is it looks ill-proportioned. Way too small especially with dropped seat stay design and sloping top tube

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sun

by sun

Yes, 52cm.

pesto13 wrote:
sun wrote:Here is a shot of my bike. 662mm saddle height. Quite a bit lower than yours, but I've had a few bike fits and this is where we landed. 110mm stem with -12 degree rise. 10mm spacer on top of the headset cap. I could probably slam it, but I want some more rides outside to determine that.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApmgBMekbXRGgfozKfbb5Cx6jI7oJg

sun,

I think it looks nice!. Just to confirm that is a 52cm frame?.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

polzag10

by polzag10

I had same question last month, I am 170cm have a shorter torse with longer legs, my bb to top of saddle height is 698. In the beginning I choose 49cm Sagan version, because I want to be more aggressive. However, someone told me that the 49cm frame is too small for me, than I go to do some research about the geometry. I found that the geometry of 49 SL5 is larger than 49 SL6. So, If I choose 49 SL6, it is too small for me and look ill-proportioned. If I choose 52, I can put less spacer. Finally, I change 49 Sagan to 52 UL.

ak47

by ak47

pesto13 wrote:What stem size do you use?.

thanks,

105 mm.

Here's the bike I was refering to:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro ... ks-tarmac/

The geometry makes the new Tarmac indeed a bit shorter, so 52 might be not a bad bet too.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

the actual reach between 49 and 52 is the same. The difference comes in the seat post angles and head tube length.

i’m 5”7 and 29” inseam and use a 52cm. My saddle top to B.B. center is 703mm

morganb

by morganb

Something interesting that I've noticed in this topic and in my experience with fits is that saddle height seems to have a bigger determination on what size bike fits than anything else, due to reach changing faster than stack because of seat angles getting slacker as bikes get larger (for most brands). My saddle height has gone up as I have switched to much shorter cranks to alleviate knee/hip issues and some bikes that used to fit me no longer do.

shoerhino

by shoerhino

I think you could probably go either way but it would be helpful to see how you've setup your current bike. If your current bike is setup where the handlebars are about in the lowest position they could be with a reasonable stem and you think you may want to get lower, I would drop down to a 49. If your happy with the fit you have on your current bike and have some room to adjust the handlebars down if needed , it sounds like the SL6 52cm could be setup the same as the 52cm you have today.

I run a 130mm -17 stem on my 52 cm tarmac. I had about 10000 miles on my 2014 49cm Tarmac and have about 2500 on my 52cm 2017 tarmac. Both worked just fine for me and are setup with about the same reach and drop. I think it's really up to you and if you want more handlebar drop.

oraclesin

by oraclesin

i'm 174cm and ride 52. but my arm litter long ,so i think you are suit 49cm.

thedonnydino

by thedonnydino

How are you guys measuring your saddle height? Along seat tube or straight up?

I have a 730mm saddle height from centre bb to saddle top along seat tube. Was considering a 52cm with a 10mm spacer and a 110 stem.

sychen

by sychen

Just found this thread ... nice to know lots of people around 170cm with short legs.. and not just me. Ichiobi you may be 5"5 but you have long legs, My seat to bb is only 67cm.

Getting fitted to a 52cm SL6 .. test rode it and was perfect.
Initially thought i needed to go down one size due to using older spec geometry of the SL5.. didn't realise that changed.

I'll post a photo once i get it delivered with all the adjustments made for fit.

OP, since you are of almost the same dimensions.. definately 52 if you haven't already got it unless you want to get super specific with your fit/look.

Ainsy

by Ainsy

sychen

Be very interested to see a photo as your saddle height is very close to mine 66.7 cm but i'm only 165cm (inseam 79cm) so was thinking the 49 was going to be be the only choice for me. Thought the 52 reach is getting a little too big from my current bike (48cm super six evo 2, stack 51.6cm, reach 36.9cm) as I run a 90mm stem and approx 10-15mm spacers but can go up to 100mm stem when (if) i ride more.

Agree the 52cm looks A LOT better than the 49.

sychen

by sychen

Here is a quick photo in the shop after fitting.

No measurements as yet. Picking up the bike after some minor mods and adjustments are made on Saturday.

Currently have one spacer under the 90mm 6deg stem.. Will cut the extra steerer after settling in on this bike/fit. Image

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

adamcz

by adamcz

sychen wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:05 am
Here is a quick photo in the shop after fitting.

No measurements as yet. Picking up the bike after some minor mods and adjustments are made on Saturday.

Currently have one spacer under the 90mm 6deg stem.. Will cut the extra steerer after settling in on this bike/fit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Bike looks great. Im about the same size as you - curious how the final specs and build came out. Any update and pic?

Jack65

by Jack65

I rode SL6 S-Works with Di2 test bike few days ago. I'm 175 cm tall with 84 inseam. I tested size 56 and it fitted me perfectly. While my son's SL4 56 is too big for me. So I suspect SL6, being one size smaller than SL4.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shimmeD

by shimmeD

I read through the whole thread and not a single mention of saddle to bars drop, so how can one gauge whether your position is aggro? Pics are great but not good enough, guys.
I use the centre of the the seat surface as the point for measurements (this needs to be consistent if you're comparing esp betweeen different persons' measurements as seat tube angles differ).
So my meausrements are:
780mm inseam
665mm seat height
105mm seat to top of bars.
I find that most frames have too large a stack (even with 17deg stems) too steep a seat tube angle (can't move my seat backwards enough) and I get toe overlap. And yes that goes without saying that I can only go for the small(est) frames.
Less is more.