ENVE SES 4.5 with ENVE hub => brake rub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ODC

by ODC

Yesterday was the big day that i finally got my new bike:
- Frameset BMC SLR01 2018 (rim brake version)
- Groupset Dura Ace DI2 9150 (direct mount brakes)
- Wheels ENVE SES 4.5 with ENVE hub (25mm vittoria tyres on it)

First ride and i heard brake rub from my rear wheel (i think it is brake rub because it sounds like the breaking noise).
Also when it is happening i'm checking my front wheel and in how much it is possible i don't see the front wheel touching the brakes so i must be the rear wheel.

When do i get it:
- When i stand on my pedals and push more wattage
- Climbing on the pedals => always
- Just standing on my pedals and move my bike from left to right (NO pushing on the pedals)

I have open the direct mount brakes more so that there would be more clearance but the brake rub stays.
The next thing i gonna try is to ride with a quick releas from another wheel that i have to see if that would help.

Would i have a faulty hub/wheel?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

probably flex...but it sounds like clearance issues. maybe inside of your chain stays? tire rubbing marks anywhere?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

billendk

by billendk

I have the same problem with my enve ses 4.5 . I have chris king hubs and my weight is 79kg.

ODC

by ODC

kode54 wrote:probably flex...but it sounds like clearance issues. maybe inside of your chain stays? tire rubbing marks anywhere?

No rubbing marks.
Also space enough everywhere in the rear triangle. The new BMC is made for tires off 28mm.

ODC

by ODC

billendk wrote:I have the same problem with my enve ses 4.5 . I have chris king hubs and my weight is 79kg.

Did you never found a solution? What does the shop says where you have bought them?

asiantrick

by asiantrick

Is there any movement in the hub? Try to move the rear wheel from side to side with the quick release closed.

Do you have another wheelset? If it doesn't happen on the other wheelset then you know for sure it's your Enve wheel.

ODC

by ODC

asiantrick wrote:Is there any movement in the hub? Try to move the rear wheel from side to side with the quick release closed.

Do you have another wheelset? If it doesn't happen on the other wheelset then you know for sure it's your Enve wheel.

I can move the wheel from side to side with the QR closed.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Is there a preload adjustment on Enve hubs?

I know when I had 6.7s with CK hubs i had to adjust.

I'm using extralite on my 4.5 and 2.2... I can still do it.. but it's super rare that I get brake rub now.
Last edited by spdntrxi on Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

kode54

by kode54

sounds like too much play. but with the Enve hubs...they are carbon with DT Swiss internals...so shouldn't really have play in it. bearings could be shot if there's play in the hub. i was going to suggest checking the spoke tension..
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ODC

by ODC

kode54 wrote:sounds like too much play. but with the Enve hubs...they are carbon with DT Swiss internals...so shouldn't really have play in it. bearings could be shot if there's play in the hub. i was going to suggest checking the spoke tension..

The enve hub has ceramicspeed bearings. Then you exept a very stiff hub and no brake rub...

ergott

by ergott

Enve hub doesn't improve the flange spacing of a DT hub which has been proven to have lack of lateral stiffness. When I wanted to solve the problem of brake rub for someone (different hub) I rebuilt the Enve 4.5s to Wheels Mfg hubs and used DT Aerocomps for the right rear. It stiffened up the rear wheel and he no longer has any rubbing issues.

jih

by jih

I'd say open the rear brake completely and go out for a ride and carefully (you only have one brake) put the power down where it is safe to do so. If you get rub still, you can rule out brake rub.

Rubbing sounds can come from a lot of places. Shoe on the crank for example.

StradaJon
in the industry

by StradaJon

What Ergott says - the CX Ray is not strong enough. We use a thicker gauge spoke now on all ENVE road builds, especially tubeless ready rims.
Strada Hand Built Wheels
http://www.stradawheels.co.uk

damond

by damond

I am surprised no one as yet asked the main (basic) question: how much do you weight and how much power do you output?

ergott

by ergott

damond wrote:I am surprised no one as yet asked the main (basic) question: how much do you weight and how much power do you output?

Those are important points in general, but riding style/technique plays a big role in brake rub. You can be 165lbs and rocking the bike out of the saddle on a hill and see the problem. How much you rock the bike is more of an issue than ultimate power output.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com