Dura Ace Di2 9170 and Ultegra Di2 8070 mix?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

Can I combine the Dura Ace Di2 9170 and the Ultegra Di2 8070?

For example:

- Dura Ace Di2 9170:
Shifter
Disc brakes

- Ultegra Di2 8070:
Front derailleur
Rear derailleur
Crankset
Chain
Cassette

If this mix is working, can I use the 2 "special" buttons on the top of the Dura Ace shifters?

If this mix is not working, what do I have to change to make it work? Or do I have to use only a 100% DA 9170 or 100% Ultegra 8070?
Last edited by TonyM on Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

You can't mix 9170 and 8020 as they are Di2 and mechanical.
9170 and 8070 can be mixed and top buttons are functional.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

TonyM

by TonyM

TurboKoo wrote:You can't mix 9170 and 8020 as they are Di2 and mechanical.
9170 and 8070 can be mixed and top buttons are functional.

Sorry I meant Dura Ace Di2 9170 and Ultegra Di2 8070

madik

by madik

Everything is cross compatible between 9170 and 8070. Even the 8070 shifters has the top buttons.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

But why do this? DA crankset is less ugly (opinion) and lighter (fact).
Buying everything separate is usually more expensive compared to buying a full groupset.

TonyM

by TonyM

Daniel1975 wrote:But why do this? DA crankset is less ugly (opinion) and lighter (fact).
Buying everything separate is usually more expensive compared to buying a full groupset.

I might have to buy a bike with Ultegra instead of a frame in order to get the colour I want. As it will be my rain bike I don't need DA for the chain, the cassette, the FD and the RD. I however like the look of the DA shifter and the disc brakes. For the crankset I will upgrade to the DA crankset with Shimano powermeter when it will be available.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Im kinda in the same boat.. I have EVERYTHING to build my CX bike with the new Ultegra Di2 minus the 8070 shifters...
One place has the RH lever, but not the left with no known arrival time of the LH...
Im at the point where I might just get the DA shifters and have done with it... by the time the 8070 shifters are fully out, CX season will be over where I live!!

TonyM

by TonyM

ParisCarbon wrote:Im kinda in the same boat.. I have EVERYTHING to build my CX bike with the new Ultegra Di2 minus the 8070 shifters...
One place has the RH lever, but not the left with no known arrival time of the LH...
Im at the point where I might just get the DA shifters and have done with it... by the time the 8070 shifters are fully out, CX season will be over where I live!!

My LBS is telling me that Shimano is delivering first the orders with full bikes 8070 and then the parts separately. And that Shimano is late with the Ultegra 8070. That's the Ultegra Di2 disc 8070 are coming just slowly to the retailers.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm waiting for a 8050 GS long cage rear derailleur so I can run a 11-34 cassette. Online retailers in the U.S. have none. I assume everyone's still waiting for this part. If anyone has found some for sale, please respond in this thread. Thanks.

Update: I found a few retailers in the U.K. having the SS short cage version in stock, but none have the GS long cage version. GloryCycles is showing availability of Oct. 25. Performance Bikes in the U.S. is showing availability of Oct. 20. Yikes!

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Yeah... I think Shimano kinda blew the delivery time of the Ultegra 8070 for this season.. its a pretty sweet group for CX which is going full bore right now...
Even many of the big online Euro sites are telling me no stock on shifters til mid November or even January!!
For the extra $150 I may as well just get the Dura Ace ones and have done with it.. functionally there's no difference between the two, and AFAIK the only real diff is the DA has carbon in it and its labeled different...

TonyM wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:Im kinda in the same boat.. I have EVERYTHING to build my CX bike with the new Ultegra Di2 minus the 8070 shifters...

My LBS is telling me that Shimano is delivering first the orders with full bikes 8070 and then the parts separately. And that Shimano is late with the Ultegra 8070. That's the Ultegra Di2 disc 8070 are coming just slowly to the retailers.

hannawald

by hannawald

[quote="Even many of the big online Euro sites are telling me no stock on shifters til mid November or even January!!
For the extra $150 I may as well just get the Dura Ace ones and have done with it.. functionally there's no difference between the two, and AFAIK the only real diff is the DA has carbon in it and its labeled different...
[/quote]

Is it already confirmed that ultegra 8070 shifters and dura ace ace 9170 shifters have the same weight - 360g? Is it a mistake in official weights from Shimano or is it true? Thanks.

dmcgoy

by dmcgoy

hannawald wrote:[quote="Even many of the big online Euro sites are telling me no stock on shifters til mid November or even January!!

Is it already confirmed that ultegra 8070 shifters and dura ace ace 9170 shifters have the same weight - 360g? Is it a mistake in official weights from Shimano or is it true? Thanks.[/quote]

My right 9170 lever is 161 grams, dry. I assume the left is about the same. Would make sense the 8070 is a few grams heavier - I think it has an aluminum lever.

hannawald

by hannawald

yes, it would make perfect sense, if the dura shifters were lighter, but official claimed weight is the same - 160g per shifter. So I am thinking whether to wait for cheaper 8070 or go for 9170. In terms of functionality i don´t expect any difference.
(I have 785 levers and the only reasons to upgrade is shaving 150g and 2 buttons I can use for Garmin control - if the weight is same between 8070 and 9170 shifters, I can happily ride 8070)

simplemind

by simplemind

pdlpsher1 wrote:I'm waiting for a 8050 GS long cage rear derailleur so I can run a 11-34 cassette. Online retailers in the U.S. have none. I assume everyone's still waiting for this part. If anyone has found some for sale, please respond in this thread. Thanks.

Update: I found a few retailers in the U.K. having the SS short cage version in stock, but none have the GS long cage version. GloryCycles is showing availability of Oct. 25. Performance Bikes in the U.S. is showing availability of Oct. 20. Yikes!

I don't believe there is a "long cage" per se. I think the Medium cage GS is considered to be the "long cage". No?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

pdlpsher1 wrote:I'm waiting for a 8050 GS long cage rear derailleur so I can run a 11-34 cassette.

Who is offering a 11-34 eleven speed cassette? I know Shimano has the 11-32 cassette. Are they also now offering an 11-34?