2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Trkorb

by Trkorb

I spoke to someone close to the team at Specialized and was told they are nervous about manufacturing problems following the Allez issues. Especially as they are aiming for what looks like a pretty impressive weight target.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gftcd

by gftcd

Maybe they are X-raying the frames like Canyon? If you want quality on top end frames it's got to be done in my opinion, especially disc (which Canyon seem to have no issues with it seems!!!)

TonyM

by TonyM

To me the Marketing of Spez. want a low weight (especially after the weight claimed for the new Tarmac) but the frame has to have also enough strength for the disc brakes. And that is not easy!

Maybe the new Tarmac has achieved a lower weight but was not developed for disc brakes and „just adding“ some reinforcement layers at some location did not help sufficiently. That‘s why they struggle so much and had to delay again and again the Tarmac disc.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

This is opposite to the Venge ViAS which was design to be disc first, but retrofit integrated rim brake later when UCI temporary halt the DISC brake test period then.

If they are not so light (just overbuilt) everything would be a lot easier, like Wilier Cento 10 which fit both Disc and direct mount brake on the same frame. Even Chinese open mold can fit disc brake or rim brake to the same frame design because they weight more than 300 grams more than the Tarmac.

an idea: since UCI relax 3:1 ratio rule, can they make fork blade wider to improve aerodynamic and make it more stiff for disc? This wouldn't increase weight as much as making the tube thicker but the same shape, right?

dcorn

by dcorn

The SL5 Tarmac had a disc option. No way they designed the SL6 without discs in mind, then threw it in as an afterthought. There was a Tarmac disc at the SL6 unveiling back in July, plenty of pictures of it online. And some of the pros are riding it, including Gaviria on Quick-Step and the entire Boels Dolman womens team, as we've seen in this thread.

I honestly can't say why they would keep the disc model off the shelves/website. They are the only company that is shy with their top tier disc bike, all others have been shipping for a while.

moyboy

by moyboy

Quickstep i think.

TonyM wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:54 am
Which training camp for whom is it?

Trkorb

by Trkorb

Confirmed as on a boat from the factory by a rep in Belgium!

wingguy

by wingguy

Imaking20 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:32 am
Feddesman wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm
Imaking20 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:24 pm
That looks like photoshop
:shock: ?

https://www.boelsdolmanscyclingteam.com ... -schneider
Just didn't look like a quality resolution photo.
Two seperate things though isn't it. I'm quite sure the photo has been photoshopped to some degree (as pretty much every magazine or publicity photo is photoshopped, often lazily and badly) but that's not the same thing as it being faked. That's highly unlikely.

dcorn

by dcorn

OliverRB wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:41 pm
You somehow bought a bike that doesn't officially exist yet?

Trkorb

by Trkorb

dcorn wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 pm
OliverRB wrote:
I haven't bought the bike yet, I just got the info that it was on it's way to Specialized distribution centres. Maybe he wasn't meant to say anything about it, perhaps he had had a few beers at that point - it is Belgium afterall!

dcorn

by dcorn

OliverRB wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:23 pm
dcorn wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 pm
OliverRB wrote:
I haven't bought the bike yet, I just got the info that it was on it's way to Specialized distribution centres. Maybe he wasn't meant to say anything about it, perhaps he had had a few beers at that point - it is Belgium afterall!
Can't blame him, I didn't find a beer I didn't like in Belgium.

Roentgun

by Roentgun

This wouldn’t be the same Rep that said the official release was going to be at the TDU? Not sure how much stock I’d put in that. I’ll be speaking with some people (hopefully a Rep) today. Somehow I trust my guy more than I trust yours. You sure he’s not just having a bit of fun with you?

Imaking20

by Imaking20

wingguy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm
Two seperate things though isn't it. I'm quite sure the photo has been photoshopped to some degree (as pretty much every magazine or publicity photo is photoshopped, often lazily and badly) but that's not the same thing as it being faked. That's highly unlikely.
Sure. But you used the word "fake" - I didn't :wink:

wingguy

by wingguy

Imaking20 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:24 pm
wingguy wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm
Sure. But you used the word "fake" - I didn't :wink:
Sure. But it's a strong implication. Otherwise saying a publicity photo is photoshopped is like saying the sky is blue. Technically true but not really useful...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Sounds like we're even then.

But yeah, I think we're each as likely to be correct about that photo being "faked" or not. Firstly, as you've explained yourself, that would depend on what makes it "fake". Secondly, it wouldn't be the first time I'd seen a publicity/manufacturer photo that was manufactured - even if the artificial product had already been released. Take the Focus Izalco Max disc as an example. There are product photos floating around of the disc version that, upon close inspection of the disc components, appears to be photos of a rim brake frame that had the disc equipment shopped in.