2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Prawn

by Prawn

First long outing today. 6.7kg including pedals and cages. Build list:

54cm hologram frame, forks, post
Specialized S-Works 42cm aerobars, 90mm stem, power saddle
Dura Ace di2 9170 shifters and callipers
9070 derailleurs
Specialized Carbon cranks 170mm with Quark power meter and praxis works compact rings
Zipp 202 clinchers with 160/140mm SRAM rotors and Turbo Cotton 26mm tyres
Speedplay ti pedals

Overall, it’s a clear step up from my previous bike (2013 s-works venge) in term of comfort and weight, without any evident loss of aero-ness.

Potential changes: Superergo bars (...although the Specialized Aerobars are fine...) and tubular wheels of slightly greater depth.
Attachments
3E015C40-088B-4688-9132-CF782A7F7FDE.jpeg

sigma

by sigma

1swiftvelo wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:19 am
sigma wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:30 am
Just for information, called Specialized today and asked about the availability of zero-offset seat posts for the SL6 Disc. They said about two months out or so.
PM me. I should have one at the shop.
will do - thanks very much!
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Prawn wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:02 pm

9070 derailleurs
Specialized Carbon cranks 170mm with Quark power meter and praxis works compact rings
Speedplay ti pedals

Overall, it’s a clear step up from my previous bike (2013 s-works venge) in term of comfort and weight, without any evident loss of aero-ness.

Potential changes: Superergo bars (...although the Specialized Aerobars are fine...) and tubular wheels of slightly greater depth.
Thats a great weight for a bigger bike, nearly 300g less than my bike.

Lighter would be the Sworks Power/Rotor/Speedplay Ti/compact rings
Adding back on would be the aerofly bars/zipp 202 (i think).

Not sure how light the quark meter with crank is compared to the Spec crank/meter.

Was looking also at the Superergo bar. Similar in shape to the regular bar that came with the bike but much lighter.

johnsonmoog

by johnsonmoog

Prawn wrote:

9070 derailleurs
Speedplay ti pedals

Sounds good.
Question: are you still able to use the bar end Di2 junction box with the Specialized aerobars?

Prawn

by Prawn

sychen wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 am
Prawn wrote:

9070 derailleurs
Speedplay ti pedals

Thats a great weight for a bigger bike, nearly 300g less than my bike.

Lighter would be the Sworks Power/Rotor/Speedplay Ti/compact rings
Adding back on would be the aerofly bars/zipp 202 (i think).

Not sure how light the quark meter with crank is compared to the Spec crank/meter.

Was looking also at the Superergo bar. Similar in shape to the regular bar that came with the bike but much lighter.
@Sychen, Looking at your (fantastic) build, I would have expected mine to be fractionally heavier. I had estimated 7.0kg; bike store reported 6.73 actual. I've just wieghed it on my scale and see 6.98. I will assume that the shop's scales are optimistic, or that they weighed it without pedals. The good news is that you don't have an unexplained weight variation, and that I have an excuse to tinker to get the weight down!

I don't have an actual weight for all components, but attached is the budget budget including a back-solved estimated frame/fork/post weight (which the shop didn't weigh separately unfortunately).
Attachments
SL6 weight.jpg

sychen

by sychen

Thanks for motivating me to put my component list together.
Have been putting it off but will now probably fuel me to further decend into weightweeniness.
Have the Sworks power pending/ ti kit for pedals on orders and iching for a light set of tubs!

Even without your pedals should save you only 150gm, still missing 100gm. Must be a very optimistic scale!
Thinking you had a super light frame in that size would of been awesome.. the hunt that people will go through to save 200gms (at the frame) would need a thread of its own in this forum.

@johnsonmoog, The Aerofly bars have preformed holes for Di2 bar end ports. So that is an Yes. The compact bars i use need to be drilled.. but can be used without issue as well.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sychen wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:51 am

Edit: memory betrays me... Measured it again.. 36mm at back and 40mm+ at the front.. In terms of rim width allowance.

Your front clearance will probably be limited by height rather than width.

Prawn

by Prawn

johnsonmoog wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:06 pm
Prawn wrote:

9070 derailleurs
Speedplay ti pedals

Sounds good.
Question: are you still able to use the bar end Di2 junction box with the Specialized aerobars?
Yes. Simple setup: wire from the frame enters the bars near the stem and goes to the left shifter, then from the left shifter to the bar end junction.

Prawn

by Prawn

Anyone using tubulars on their SL6 Disc? Wheel choice seems limited. Roval disc tubs aren't available in Australia (and there does not appear to be any stock in the US). Criteria are all-round with a bias to climbing, cross-wind impervious, and target weight 1300g. Suggestions? (Maybe I should post this in the wheels forum, but would value input from SL6 riders.)

jlok

by jlok

BORA ONE 35 DISC BRAKE Tubular <1300g
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

sychen

by sychen

Lol was already thinking of getting the bora 35 disc tubs.
Advertised as 1200ish in weight.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Bordcla

by Bordcla

What bottom bracket do these bikes come with? I have a hard time swallowing the fact that at that price, these bikes don't even come with the hybrid/external Ceramicspeed BB that the pros use on these frames. :S

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Bordcla wrote:What bottom bracket do these bikes come with? I have a hard time swallowing the fact that at that price, these bikes don't even come with the hybrid/external Ceramicspeed BB that the pros use on these frames. :S
They have Ceramic Speed BB30 6806 bearings in them. Why would they include a bottom bracket that isn't compatible with their own crank? What other manufacturers include multiple bearing options?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Bordcla

by Bordcla

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:22 am
Bordcla wrote:What bottom bracket do these bikes come with? I have a hard time swallowing the fact that at that price, these bikes don't even come with the hybrid/external Ceramicspeed BB that the pros use on these frames. :S
They have Ceramic Speed BB30 6806 bearings in them. Why would they include a bottom bracket that isn't compatible with their own crank? What other manufacturers include multiple bearing options?

Forgot about compatibility with their own brand cranks and PM. Teams who use hybrid BB are all using Shimano cranks.

What are the adjustment screws sticking out? What are they for?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

Bordcla wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:16 pm
Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:22 am

Forgot about compatibility with their own brand cranks and PM. Teams who use hybrid BB are all using Shimano cranks.

What are the adjustment screws sticking out? What are they for?
Yea... that's the point that nefarious86 is making. You are complaining that the bikes don't come with the ceramic BB's that the pros are using, but that's because the pros are using Shimano cranks. Certainly you can understand why Specialized would have a vested interest in including the ceramic BB bearings that make it easy for the consumer to use their own Specialized brand cranks. They do come with spacers to still use the included bearings with Shimano cranks.. so they are at least allowing for that option.