2018 S-Works Tarmac Disc

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Dsweeney33

by Dsweeney33

queloque67 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 pm
Alpine318is wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 pm
queloque67 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:51 pm
I changed my mind....i'm going to call. LOL
Haha I sincerely hope that we are wrong. Piece of mind it worth its weight in ?grams?
Turns out that wasn't the Ultralight. Bike shop has to order the correct one. Specialized said the Ultralight is the one with the grayish white text for the logo.
I can confirm that I had the same issue (well sort of). I too ordered a Ultralight frameset from my LBS (see thread above). I received a call yesterday from the owner of the LBS. He informed me that my delivery was being pushed back (no updated ETA). He told me that Spesh advised him that it was determined that the UL framesets had some of the following issues: (i) were painted with the heavier paint option, and thus not UL; and (ii) regular framesets were listed as UL, but really aren't. These issues stem from the factory.

Not quite sure where mine fell in that spectrum, but looks like I have to wait a bit longer - with no ETA like I said.

As of the time I am writing this thread, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 9:45 am EST, Spesh still does not have the UL disc frameset listed on their website. It has also been removed since Friday, March 16, 2018. I called Spesh in the morning on the 16th to inquire the reason for the removal and would not get an answer from the operator. All they asked was whether I had ordered one. I gave them my cell number and the name of the shop where I ordered the frameset - I then got the call from the LBS later that same day (summary of that call is above) - weird. More waiting for this much anticipated frame, I guess....

Well...sorry for the long winded thread, but queloque67 perhaps that explains your frameset issue as well?

queloque67 - would love to know what you have been told. Also, please upload a pic of you new UL frameset once received and also pics of the final build. Would love to see the final masterpiece. I will do the same for my 61 cm UL, along with weights, SKU and final build.

One last thought, I have heard that the frameset will come with two (2) sets of thru axles. The first set is the typical Spesh racketing thru axle with lever. The second set is the straight thru axle with no lever, but must be removed with a 5mm allen wrench. I believe the thru axle set with the lever is supposed to be lighter (I know, kinda defies logic), then the straight thru axle without the lever. I will be sure to confirm this on this thread for the other viewers.

Cheers and keep ridin'.

- Dan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

queloque67

by queloque67

Dsweeney33 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:45 pm
queloque67 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:52 pm
Alpine318is wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 pm
queloque67 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:51 pm
I changed my mind....i'm going to call. LOL
Haha I sincerely hope that we are wrong. Piece of mind it worth its weight in ?grams?
Turns out that wasn't the Ultralight. Bike shop has to order the correct one. Specialized said the Ultralight is the one with the grayish white text for the logo.
I can confirm that I had the same issue (well sort of). I too ordered a Ultralight frameset from my LBS (see thread above). I received a call yesterday from the owner of the LBS. He informed me that my delivery was being pushed back (no updated ETA). He told me that Spesh advised him that it was determined that the UL framesets had some of the following issues: (i) were painted with the heavier paint option, and thus not UL; and (ii) regular framesets were listed as UL, but really aren't. These issues stem from the factory.

Not quite sure where mine fell in that spectrum, but looks like I have to wait a bit longer - with no ETA like I said.

As of the time I am writing this thread, Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 9:45 am EST, Spesh still does not have the UL disc frameset listed on their website. It has also been removed since Friday, March 16, 2018. I called Spesh in the morning on the 16th to inquire the reason for the removal and would not get an answer from the operator. All they asked was whether I had ordered one. I gave them my cell number and the name of the shop where I ordered the frameset - I then got the call from the LBS later that same day (summary of that call is above) - weird. More waiting for this much anticipated frame, I guess....

Well...sorry for the long winded thread, but queloque67 perhaps that explains your frameset issue as well?

queloque67 - would love to know what you have been told. Also, please upload a pic of you new UL frameset once received and also pics of the final build. Would love to see the final masterpiece. I will do the same for my 61 cm UL, along with weights, SKU and final build.

One last thought, I have heard that the frameset will come with two (2) sets of thru axles. The first set is the typical Spesh racketing thru axle with lever. The second set is the straight thru axle with no lever, but must be removed with a 5mm allen wrench. I believe the thru axle set with the lever is supposed to be lighter (I know, kinda defies logic), then the straight thru axle without the lever. I will be sure to confirm this on this thread for the other viewers.

Cheers and keep ridin'.

- Dan
The frameset is still listed on Specializes web site.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/mens- ... 653-153989

But I got a call from my LBS in the DC suburbs. The sales manager there calls me often and passes on what information he has with Specialize. DC and surrounding suburbs is one of Specializes largest markets. He said there has been a mix up in the packing and labeling in Asia where they are produced. Non UL were put in boxes labeled as UL.
Nothing more concrete on availability.

My question is that is the regular Tarmac disc basically the Ultralight but with the heavier paint? You can see the pic above it was weighing in at 840 grams.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

queloque67 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 pm

But I got a call from my LBS in the DC suburbs. The sales manager there calls me often and passes on what information he has with Specialize. DC and surrounding suburbs is one of Specializes largest markets. He said there has been a mix up in the packing and labeling in Asia where they are produced. Non UL were put in boxes labeled as UL.

My question is that is the regular Tarmac disc basically the Ultralight but with the heavier paint? You can see the pic above it was weighing in at 840 grams.
That is not the frameset... people keep linking to the rim brake ultralight. There is no disc brake ultralight listed.

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but is there any difference at all between the ultralight and the regular, other than the paint? No eeBrakes for example on the disc version.. if it's just the paint, there can't be many grams difference to speak of.

queloque67

by queloque67

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:05 pm
queloque67 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:00 pm

That is not the frameset... people keep linking to the rim brake ultralight. There is no disc brake ultralight listed.
ok..calm down. LOL

I guess there won't be an ultralight disc for Tarmac. If that is the case i'm possibly out of the market for this bike than.

queloque67

by queloque67

Torbjorn wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm
Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but is there any difference at all between the ultralight and the regular, other than the paint? No eeBrakes for example on the disc version.. if it's just the paint, there can't be many grams difference to speak of.
That is what I want to know.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ time to call specialized
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

queloque67

by queloque67

Well specialized said there is no ETA on a Ultralight disc. They said they made a mistake of mislabeling the boxes as Ultralights even though the frames were not and shipped them to bike stores and charged the bike stores at the Ultralight price.
So if Ultralight disc have not been manufactured no telling if they will be structurally different or just different by paint weight. They may not make them at all.

hypercycler

by hypercycler

Someone in Taiwan did a weight weenie build at 5.71kg w/ pedals, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 5835525692

queloque67

by queloque67

bike frame looks tiny though. Is that a 48 frame or something?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Torbjorn wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:10 pm
Sorting/binning. Presumably they weigh each of the completed blanks and the ones under a threshold are designated as Ultralights.

Just to reconfirm that the UL frameset was listed at one point, I saved the product photo just in case...

Even with that the weight difference should be virtually nothing...

ODC

by ODC

Does someone knows how many torque (Nm) you may apply on the axles?

glander

by glander

queloque67 wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:32 pm
Well specialized said there is no ETA on a Ultralight disc. They said they made a mistake of mislabeling the boxes as Ultralights even though the frames were not and shipped them to bike stores and charged the bike stores at the Ultralight price.
So if Ultralight disc have not been manufactured no telling if they will be structurally different or just different by paint weight. They may not make them at all.
Yep I just heard that there will be no such UL Tarmac Disc this year....

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

Very bizarre. At the launch a week ago it was definitely listed. Online, and on a fact sheet (which I am looking at right now). Seems very messy; what went wrong for Specialized..?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sychen

by sychen

Just want to chime in on this tread.

For the longest time i didnt like Tarmacs. Just didnt like the look of them.
As i considered this new purchase (first new new bike since 1998) was tossing up the BMC SLR01 Disc and Canyon Aeroad/Ultimates discs this new Tarmac Disc dropped.

Fully expecting to ignore it i went into a shop that deals both (not Canyon obviously). Once i saw it in person,, i was sold.

For the same groupset.. the Tarmac Sl6 disc is lighter/got powermeter / got non integrated bar/stem in the shape I already use (not that the 3Ts are bad).

The finish looks so much better in person than online... pictures really doesn't do it justice. For me 52s look the best.. bigger sizes looks weird to me.

BMC is probably a bit stiffer and zipps more as you crank the power.. but i'm not going to notice really day to day.

Shop also had an Ultralight on the floor, really looked boring to me. EEbrakes are cool and all but bike overall is not that much lighter. Flat black paint and all grey logos had nothing on the SL6 Disc carbon clear coat and holo graphics.

come next week.. i'll should have mine fitted and finished for photos.