R785 vs R9170 Shifters

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justaute

by justaute

kode54 wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
PaulH wrote:9170 levers so much lighter and better lever feel.

Wife's bike has 9170 and mine has R785 and the first thing I noticed when I built her bike were that the hoods/body was slightly narrower as well. Have not been able to find these in the US, but was able to order a retail box set (shifters, hydraulic hose, mineral oil) from a Japanese Ebay store and should be swapping mine out in a few days.

can't find them either and most ship in september.

Kode54...bike-components seems to have them.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/Shima ... er-p51456/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

PaulH wrote:I'm using 785 as the dura ace won't fit my frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You just swapped the shifters to 9170 and continue to use your current (BH59?) hose kit? Or did you also upgrade those to BH90 hoses?

PaulH

by PaulH

You have to update to bh90 the 59's are the wrong size for the lever

ms6073

by ms6073

PaulH wrote:You have to update to bh90 the 59's are the wrong size for the lever

Not sure I follow this. While the BH-90 is supposed to be a bit stiffer hose, the external hose diameter is nearly identical, the olives are used interchangeably, so the only real difference is the hose connector inserts/barbs, with the SM-BH90-JK-SSR having a slightly increased inner diameter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

PaulH

by PaulH

It's the threaded connectors which go in to the levers which are different they didn't deal with mine and you can't buy seperately

PaulH

by PaulH

It's the threaded connectors which go in to the levers which are different they didn't deal with mine and you can't buy seperately

ms6073

by ms6073

Right, sorry. :oops:
Having only done the one set of shifters, I forgot that the Flange Connecting Bolt which is an M9 threaded connector required for the ST-R9120/R9170/R8020/R8070, is supplied with the brake host kit, not the shifters.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

tomee

by tomee

so could you not use the existing BH59 insert and just use the threaded connector from the new 9170 levers?

Only reason i ask is i want to do this but i had to araldite my brake hose to the bottom bracket of my CAAD12 (due to clearance issues and stiff hose) and cbf removing the whole hose.

PaulH

by PaulH

You probably could but I think the internal diameter of the 90 is different making it a higher pressure , I read somewhere that this gives it a more powerful feel. All I know is that it works very well with the 90 so could be worth holding on

ms6073

by ms6073

tomee wrote:so could you not use the existing BH59 insert and just use the threaded connector from the new 9170 levers?

Wife and I have the Di2 R785 shifters and BR-RS785 post-mount calipers on our cross/gravel bikes. I used BH-59 hose on mine and after a thorough effort bleeding the system as outlined in the Dealer Manual, lever feel/modulation is good. I used BH-90 hose when I installed the levers and calipers on the wife's bike, and after bleeding in the same manner, the lever feel for her bike is better/much stiffer, and the same goes for her road bike with R9170 shifters, BR-RS805 calipers, and BH90 hose versus my road bike with R785 shifters, BR-RS805 calipers, and BH-59 hoses.
- Michael

ms6073

by ms6073

tomee wrote:so could you not use the existing BH59 insert and just use the threaded connector from the new 9170 levers?

While I would not recommend it as the internal diameter of the BH59 hose is larger than the BH90, the answer is probably yes. The problem lies in the fact that as I found out yesterday, in the case of a fresh install, the larger Flanged connecting bolt that connects the hydraulic hose to the shifter, is supplied with the Shimano SM-BH90-JK-SSR Disc Brake Hose Kit, not the Dura-Ace R9170 shifters.
- Michael