Garmin Edge 1030 and Vector 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Who cares about bezel? Yes, it's thick and ugly. Why the hell does anyone need 3.5 inch display? Is this for surfing the web? I don't don't even want to know how much this thing is going to weigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

need the larger screen due to bad vision. besides, don't want to carry reading glasses or have progressives for riding.

my Edge 810 is the best size for me...although i'm interested in the Karoo.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

UKBROOKLYN

by UKBROOKLYN

Er have they not been selling a Shimano cartridge kit for almost a year already ??

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/546361

uraqt

by uraqt

I think the size of the device is dictated by the battery. So if you don't want the bezel you make the screen bigger. I don’t need a bigger screen I just need to see more screen than bezel. I even bet that there are design guidelines for that releatinship. Just like how tall a car tire should be on a car or it looks like crap.

jlok

by jlok

I hope it looks better... it feels cheap... and yes the curves at the top and bottom sides... why such ugly design...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

MattC

by MattC

TobinHatesYou wrote:
TonyM wrote:What is mounted under the Garmin? A fly 12 light/cam?

Garmin's own headlight.

Actually it's a piggy-back battery pack to allow up to 36hrs of battery life.

MattC

by MattC

MattC wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
TonyM wrote:What is mounted under the Garmin? A fly 12 light/cam?

Garmin's own headlight.

Actually it's a piggy-back battery pack to allow up to 36hrs of battery life.

Having said that, the photo does look like a Varia UT800 light. The battery pack will be a feature though.

srshaw

by srshaw

I think Garmin are very quickly going to have the same issue as Apple had in shifting iPads, since everyone owns one and new features aren't really anything people are bothered about, so they just stick with what they have.

Seems like apple improved sales by reducing price. Garmin seems to be doing the opposite, the Fenix 5 is really overpriced in my view, especially if they expect people to buy a Fenix 6 next year. Actually with the issues the Fenix 5 has with ant+ sensors, perhaps people will quite happily upgrade to the f6.

madik

by madik

Video od the device. It's gonna be released in next couple of days for sure. Personally I think its looks terrible, but functionality is what is worth so will see. Nice could be the mount charging. And the door underneath the device is interesting. In the video it's sayid it's for microSD card, but that's doesn't make much sense tbh. I would expecting maybe a modular slot for camera or the wind speed sensor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uqwkPe1fNk
Functionality > Performance > Weight

ODC

by ODC

madik wrote:Video od the device. It's gonna be released in next couple of days for sure. Personally I think its looks terrible, but functionality is what is worth so will see. Nice could be the mount charging. And the door underneath the device is interesting. In the video it's sayid it's for microSD card, but that's doesn't make much sense tbh. I would expecting maybe a modular slot for camera or the wind speed sensor.

Video is deleted?
The pictures i see from the 1030 it looks very huge...

madik

by madik

Video is still working, I just tried it.
Functionality > Performance > Weight

NealH

by NealH

I hope they release the new pedal but my guess is that it is delayed due to the usual issues, and maybe a few new ones.

It doesn't take much extra in the way of x-y dimensions to significantly add screen size. My guess is that if the 1000 is Ok for a person, like it is for me, then the 1030 will be fine too. 5 minutes after installing it, the overall size difference is not likely to even be noticed.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

ODC wrote:
madik wrote:Video od the device. It's gonna be released in next couple of days for sure. Personally I think its looks terrible, but functionality is what is worth so will see. Nice could be the mount charging. And the door underneath the device is interesting. In the video it's sayid it's for microSD card, but that's doesn't make much sense tbh. I would expecting maybe a modular slot for camera or the wind speed sensor.

Video is deleted?
The pictures i see from the 1030 it looks very huge...

just watched the video. some nice features. still feels more evolutionary than revolutionary. nothing here that would get me to upgrade from my trusty garmin 810. The piggy back battery sounds like an admission that all these new features is too much for the standard battery..maybe the phrase bloatware is appropriate here.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

ODC

by ODC

Finally the video worked!
Is it me but it look so cheap with that white colour?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

ODC wrote:Finally the video worked!
Is it me but it look so cheap with that white colour?

looks fine, but how much is that external battery option going to cost? a bike computer should not cost more than a bike
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com