Garmin releasing a new Edge computer soon?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

p3dalfaster

by p3dalfaster

I am using edge 520 with a Mac. what kind of problems you have? I have a perfect connection.

So for example yesterday, I came home, plugged it in to the Mac, and it literally sits there for 5 minutes and isn't picked up by Garmin Express. I then remove the Garmin, close software, re-launch software, re-attacah Garmin and it does the same thing.... I tried again and a few mins later and it worked :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Does nobody use the Bluetooth sync on the app? I figured that'd would remove the need to plug in

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, I use it on my 520, and previously, on my 810. It's great, especially when you're on vacation, as it eliminates the need to connect to a computer to upload. The process has gone through some teething, particularly during the early days of the 810, when the upload wouldn't work consistently. Nowadays, however, it works pretty effortlessly.

SpecializedColnago

by SpecializedColnago

madik wrote:1030 is expected to be released during next 2 months.

Do you have a reliable source for that 2 month release date?

caadbrad

by caadbrad

I haven't heard anything new from Garmin, and it's going to take a significant update from Garmin in both software and hardware to convince me to try anything different than my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt now. I had an Edge 510 before hand and got fed up with the locked up/Frozen save screens, shoddy updates and corrupt files. I love the Bolt, it's worked perfectly so far this season and looks great.

53x12

by 53x12

caadbrad wrote:I haven't heard anything new from Garmin, and it's going to take a significant update from Garmin in both software and hardware to convince me to try anything different than my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt now. I had an Edge 510 before hand and got fed up with the locked up/Frozen save screens, shoddy updates and corrupt files. I love the Bolt, it's worked perfectly so far this season and looks great.

Same exact story for me with my 510 and my experience with the Bolt. Would take a whole paradigm shift for me to try a Garmin device again.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

1030? Thats the name the marketing department came up with?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Noctiluxx wrote:1030? Thats the name the marketing department came up with?

sounds like a tax form
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

kulivontot wrote:Does nobody use the Bluetooth sync on the app? I figured that'd would remove the need to plug in

I started using blue tooth two years ago and haven't gone back. if there's a criticism is that i still need to use a cable when loading a new route to follow.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

rapsac

by rapsac

fromtrektocolnago wrote:
kulivontot wrote:Does nobody use the Bluetooth sync on the app? I figured that'd would remove the need to plug in

I started using blue tooth two years ago and haven't gone back. if there's a criticism is that i still need to use a cable when loading a new route to follow.

Routecourse from dynamic watch iQ app.

jeffy

by jeffy

if you have a route created (from pc) on Garmin Connect. The route can be sent to device via bluetooth using the iOS App.

kode54

by kode54

p3dalfaster wrote:
I am using edge 520 with a Mac. what kind of problems you have? I have a perfect connection.

So for example yesterday, I came home, plugged it in to the Mac, and it literally sits there for 5 minutes and isn't picked up by Garmin Express. I then remove the Garmin, close software, re-launch software, re-attacah Garmin and it does the same thing.... I tried again and a few mins later and it worked :noidea:

Sounds like you need to update firmware and or software on the Garmin and or Mac app Garmin Express.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

53x12 wrote:
caadbrad wrote:I haven't heard anything new from Garmin, and it's going to take a significant update from Garmin in both software and hardware to convince me to try anything different than my Wahoo Elemnt Bolt now. I had an Edge 510 before hand and got fed up with the locked up/Frozen save screens, shoddy updates and corrupt files. I love the Bolt, it's worked perfectly so far this season and looks great.

Same exact story for me with my 510 and my experience with the Bolt. Would take a whole paradigm shift for me to try a Garmin device again.

Same here. I had a 510, 520, and 820. I'm now using a Bolt and hard to see going back to Garmin.

Too many times my Garmins didn't capture the ride right, froze on updates (bricked a few times), pain to get routes installed, and overall poor software quality. I liked the features of the 820 but hated the touchscreen.

I've had no issues with the Bolt. The buttons are well designed and work great.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

p3dalfaster wrote:

For me... my garmin likes a particular USB cable... I don't even know where the original is anymore, but my garmin likes the one I'm using now. If I use an extra long one or one of the many others I have laying around I get iffy connections.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm still using Edge 500. Not a single issue in last 4 years. If I ever upgrade it will be Bolt but then again Edge 500 does everything I need. It's small and light. Side-by-side, Bolt looks massive.

Edge 510, 520 and 800 series are all half-baked due to release schedule. What is it now? New unit every 18 months? Garmin software engineers dedicate ~ 9 months of development, punt all bugs reported by users, then move on to development of new unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder