New Orbea Orca Aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rossjm11

by rossjm11

It doesn't look that special to me, and I am a fan of Orbea
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petal666

by petal666

The black on looks OK.

hazel

by hazel

Beaver wrote:My "normal" Orca OMR is 980g for the frame and 350g for the fork. This will be a whale. :D

Interesting, what size is your OMR? The claimed weight is 790g (unpainted) and 315g, no? 200g is quite a large discrepancy for just paint

bilwit

by bilwit

Orbea rep told me "sub 1kg" whatever that means. The fork is just a beefier version of the OMR and they aren't highlighting any new carbon layup improvement techniques so it's certainly a handful of hundred grams heavier than the normal Orca OMR

53x12

by 53x12

hazel wrote:
Interesting, what size is your OMR? The claimed weight is 790g (unpainted) and 315g, no? 200g is quite a large discrepancy for just paint

From the regular Orca thread:

go4custom wrote:I'll add more input later once I get a few more rides in. But, my 51cm with no frame hardware came in at 817g and fork cut was 321. Built with Super Record, EE brakes, Fizik cockpit, Berk Saddle, and Bora One tubulars it was 6,000 grams on the dot. Other than my custom bikes, I can't remember the last production bike that I've ridden that has given me a grin like this bike did today within the first dozen pedal strokes.

Low to mid 800s with no frame hardware seems to be the going rate.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Beaver

by Beaver

hazel wrote:
Beaver wrote:My "normal" Orca OMR is 980g for the frame and 350g for the fork. This will be a whale. :D

It's an 55cm and weight was with frame hardware (but no bearings). The 850g above are nude, even without derailleur hanger...

There just are some "heavy" solutions like the cable routing under the bb (but it's very clean) and the internal seatbinder. The fork is also wider than others but more aero.

But nevertheless it just rides great (comfy and a little aero) and I don't regret buying it. One of the best allrounders at the moment.

53x12

by 53x12

A ride review.

First ride

It’s easy to pigeonhole an aero bike as a flatlander’s ride. While the Orca Aero certainly excels on such rides, it also held its own on the sustained climbs through Basque country.

The Orca Aero is yet another example of how road bike categories are blending. Naturally, it would be a top contender for a sprint stage, but it wouldn’t be a big disadvantage on a climbing day either. The Orca Aero is unsurprisingly heavier than most climbing-specific bikes but respectably lively. On high-speed descents, its quick steering and overall stability were exceptional.

It’s handling is well above average for the aero category. Over the course of nearly 100 miles in northern Spain, I expected to encounter that one tight switchback that would put the fear in me, too tight for the 59-millimeter trail. But it never came. The 408-millimeter chain stays and short 991-millimeter wheelbase make for a snappy feel. Plus, the fork is five millimeters shorter than the fork on Orbea’s endurance ride, the Avant. This helps increase lateral stiffness and tightens up the steering in corners. The Orca Aero might be one of the best-handling aero bikes I’ve tested this year.

I’d still prefer this bike for flat or rolling rides, despite its capabilities on the climbs. As expected, all those massive tubes push compliance to the back burner, and this was most noticeable at high speeds over deep cracks and potholes. Small chatter transmits most dramatically in the front end, less so in the rear. While it falls toward the more comfortable end of the aero-compliance spectrum, it won’t be mistaken for an endurance bike or pure climber, which often feature flex and vibration-damping features.

While the handling is superb, Orbea doesn’t break the mold in any particular aspect of its design: truncated air foil tube shapes, lowered seat stays, integration, a wide fork to improve air flow over the wheel … We’ve seen all this in other aero bikes. When it comes time to choose between the Orca Aero and another aero bike, the deciding factors will likely come down to brand loyalty, price, and spec. And, of course, wind tunnel data.

http://www.velonews.com/2017/08/bikes-a ... ero_445198
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

bilwit

by bilwit

>still no weight

TonyM

by TonyM

Hopefully they will make a disc version of it!

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Because every bike needs aero tubes and disc brakes. /discussion

TonyM

by TonyM

Imaking20 wrote:Because every bike needs aero tubes and disc brakes. /discussion

Because I need a rain bike. And when it is raining discs are indeed an advantage. Aero is more for the fun by having something different for the rain bike.

JOrange

by JOrange

Daaaaaaaang, loving the new design, but can't help but feeling that it reminds me a bit of the Canyon SLX silhouette (with a beefier downtube and slanted top tube)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

JOrange wrote:Daaaaaaaang, loving the new design, but can't help but feeling that it reminds me a bit of the Canyon SLX silhouette (with a beefier downtube and slanted top tube)

That's the consequence of going for aero...all frames will be derivative of the same basic design. Kamm shaped tubes, dropped stays, thick tube junctions, integral cockpits...

Look at every electric car and you'll see that they share the same Kamm-back design...

bilwit

by bilwit

btw Orbea told me there's a 5 month delivery period for MyO Orca Aeros if anyone's considering (vs 6-8 weeks for MyO regular Orcas)
Last edited by bilwit on Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

bilwit wrote:btw Orbea told me there's a 5 month delivery period for MyO Orca Aeros if anyone's considering

5 month??? Ain't got time for that. Deuces

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com