New Orbea Orca Aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

Yes. The frameset will be $2999. The M30Team (Shimano 5800) is only $3,299. The whole line of Orca Aero bikes uses the same OMR construction. This is their highest/best grade with the lower grades of OMP and OME not being used on the Orca Aero but being used with the regular Orca. So there is no advantage to up-paying for a higher trim unless you really want that trim from the factory. Same exact frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Thenuge

by Thenuge

have these shown up in U.S. Shops yet?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hoddmachine

by hoddmachine

Agree with you guys on the white paint, here is my build!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

53x12 wrote:Yes. The frameset will be $2999. The M30Team (Shimano 5800) is only $3,299. The whole line of Orca Aero bikes uses the same OMR construction. This is their highest/best grade with the lower grades of OMP and OME not being used on the Orca Aero but being used with the regular Orca. So there is no advantage to up-paying for a higher trim unless you really want that trim from the factory. Same exact frame.

This is pretty awesome and very reasonably priced. I paid 3200.00 for my 2016 Orca OMR. If these are the same OMR lay-ups as the previous Orca's you guys are going to be very happy with your frameset.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Thenuge

by Thenuge

I stopped by my local Orbea dealer and was talking to the guy about getting an Aero and he was like yea you don't want that it'll be too harsh. I was like um ok. Guess I'll just get the caad12 with some dope wheels.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Thenuge wrote:I stopped by my local Orbea dealer and was talking to the guy about getting an Aero and he was like yea you don't want that it'll be too harsh. I was like um ok. Guess I'll just get the caad12 with some dope wheels.

Huh?
Don't just turn off like that. That's not something wider tires (and wheel combo) and lower pressure can not fix.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

Hexsense wrote:
Thenuge wrote:I stopped by my local Orbea dealer and was talking to the guy about getting an Aero and he was like yea you don't want that it'll be too harsh. I was like um ok. Guess I'll just get the caad12 with some dope wheels.

Huh?
Don't just turn off like that. That's not something wider tires (and wheel combo) and lower pressure can not fix.

I was being sarcastic. I don't think it would be too harsh. But I think it's funny that a sales guy is trying to get someone to not buy something they came in for.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

With the shape/size of that downtube, it probably does ride harshly even compared to other aero bikes.

bilwit

by bilwit

Thenuge wrote:
Hexsense wrote:

Huh?

I was being sarcastic. I don't think it would be too harsh. But I think it's funny that a sales guy is trying to get someone to not buy something they came in for.

around here, the LBS guys generally don't know anything about pro racing or nice bikes.. they just know how to talk to casual yuppies who are buying their first road bike ever

mariosimas

by mariosimas

TobinHatesYou wrote:With the shape/size of that downtube, it probably does ride harshly even compared to other aero bikes.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/orbea-o ... ough-ride/

bilwit

by bilwit

mariosimas wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:With the shape/size of that downtube, it probably does ride harshly even compared to other aero bikes.

https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/orbea-o ... ough-ride/

really weird how they're still keeping claimed weight under wraps :roll:

bilwit

by bilwit

mariosimas wrote:http://www.velochannel.com/test-de-lorbea-orca-aero-30811

here says 1200gr for a size 53

The size 49 they rode weighs as much as my steel bike. From my calculations, you can save ~480g from their setup with lighter 55mm carbon clinchers, DA9000 mechanical, stages PM, standard light bar+stem but even then, can't hit 7.0kg. That of course goes out the window with a larger frame size. Would have to go full on SRAM Red+Tubulars+standard bar/stem to get it there.

bilwit

by bilwit

I cancelled my order.. it's a really good price and it ticks all the boxes except I can't really justify a 400-500g heavier bike for the sake of aero. If only they had something in between the Orca and the Orca Aero (flat/dropped seatstays + direct mount brakes) and didn't have the goofy obtuse paint scheme that the current non-team edition has. With BMC not offering the SLR01 white frameset only, I guess I'm stuck in limbo for now and waiting for the right frame to come along..

BTW, they said that if you order now, the "end of the queue" delivery is December (USA) so... yeah. If I didn't have to wait almost half a year I might have stuck with it.

53x12

by 53x12

bilwit wrote:I cancelled my order.. it's a really good price and it ticks all the boxes except I can't really justify a 400-500g heavier bike for the sake of aero. If only they had something in between the Orca and the Orca Aero (flat/dropped seatstays + direct mount brakes) and didn't have the goofy obtuse paint scheme that the current non-team edition has. With BMC not offering the SLR01 white frameset only, I guess I'm stuck in limbo for now and waiting for the right frame to come along..

BTW, they said that if you order now, the "end of the queue" delivery is December (USA) so... yeah. If I didn't have to wait almost half a year I might have stuck with it.

I agree with your decision. Unless one is faithful to Orbea or wants an Orbea I would probably pass too. For $500 more than the Orca Aero frameset you can get a Trek Madone 9 frameset and for $700 more than the Orca Aero 105, you can get a Madone 9 Ultegra. If I was in the market for an aero road bike, not sure the Orbea makes my short list.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com