New Orbea Orca Aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bilwit wrote:btw Orbea told me there's a 5 month delivery period for MyO Orca Aeros if anyone's considering (vs 6-8 weeks for MyO regular Orcas)

That's ridiculous. Trek Project One lead times are 10-14 days.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

yep, it is... but how long Trek need to replace crappy painted frame for another crappy paint... multiply by 2-4 ( avg amount of frames till Trek will finally send one without paint leaks, air bubbles and other issues ) ?

/ I know.... everyone here got first frame painted flawlessly :mrgreen: , but how come that EVERY owner of project one bike I PERSONALLY KNOW warrantied/ or refuce pick up from shop first, second and sometimes third frame for paintwork ( unacceptable quality ). Even dealer confrmed that there's big problem with it. NO ONE ( I know) recieved acceptable painted "first" frame ( acceptable, doesn't mean good, considering €/£/$ and customization painting should be freakin fabuolous )

catalogue schemes paintowork quality is MUCH better than project1.

another thing is that Orca Aero is how long on the market ? few days ? And you're surprised by such high demand ... ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

bilwit

by bilwit

yeah, I think it's more to do with the brand new release and having to stamp out all those frames first rather than the actual customization since the normal Orca is only 6-8 weeks (and that was first announced a year ago)..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

bilwit wrote:yeah, I think it's more to do with the brand new release and having to stamp out all those frames first rather than the actual customization since the normal Orca is only 6-8 weeks (and that was first announced a year ago)..

My brand new Emonda SLR Disc project one shipped in 2 weeks and it was actually laid up in that time. The Orbeas are most definitely laid up in Taiwan or China. It's more about being ready for production and not paper-launching a product than anything else.

--

I'd like to see all these complaints from Project One owners.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

TobinHatesYou wrote:
bilwit wrote:btw Orbea told me there's a 5 month delivery period for MyO Orca Aeros if anyone's considering (vs 6-8 weeks for MyO regular Orcas)

That's ridiculous. Trek Project One lead times are 10-14 days.

I waited almost five months exactly for my 2016 Orca from the My O program. It was a painfully long wait, but in the end WELL worth it. The depth of the colors, gloss, and masking is absolutely perfect. I get comments about the paintwork on almost every ride.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

and to comment on the Project One paint.........I work at a shop that does a fair amount of P1 builds, and there have been a few that were not customer ready. Most were not sent back because the customer was excited, but a few were. The quality is definitely not stunning.

Erwin

by Erwin

wheelbuilder wrote:and to comment on the Project One paint.........I work at a shop that does a fair amount of P1 builds, and there have been a few that were not customer ready. Most were not sent back because the customer was excited, but a few were. The quality is definitely not stunning.

Do you know the painting quality of the RSL frames? Furthermore is the coating sensitive, e.g. scratches and chips?

renoracing

by renoracing

Man, the custom paint options really have me thinking this might be my next bike. I'm a sucker for an understated white bike...
I've got my heart set on something aero, but also somewhat versatile. I'd like clearance for 25mm if not larger, direct mount brakes(not bottom bracket mounted), and hoping to avoid proprietary bits(Trek brakes, etc). I'd also like the option to run either Di2 or mechanical. This seems to check all of those boxes!
I'd be interested to see frame weights once they start landing in customers hands....

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Erwin wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:and to comment on the Project One paint.........I work at a shop that does a fair amount of P1 builds, and there have been a few that were not customer ready. Most were not sent back because the customer was excited, but a few were. The quality is definitely not stunning.

Do you know the painting quality of the RSL frames? Furthermore is the coating sensitive, e.g. scratches and chips?

The H1 RSL Madones for instance are the same as the P1 bikes and are painted in Wisconsin. It's my experience that the stock paint on the Taiwan frames "pretty much everything but H1 Madones now" are of better quality than some of the stuff coming out of the Wisconsin paint shop. I have been there, and seen the painting process and these men and women are seriously talented and devoted to their work, but some of the custom stuff they do just doesn't come out fantastic. Brand of paint maybe? I have no clue. I just never had a "Holy Shit that is nice paint" moment like I have had with other bikes coming through the shop..........including my Orbea.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

Im looking at the 2018 Giant Propel SL, Bianchi Oltre XR4, and Orca Aero as my first aero bike. Currently ride a 2016 Giant TCR SL and Specialized Allez DSW sprint. Most of my riding (about 175-200 per week) out here is a mix of climbing and rolling hills. What do you guys think? Any suggestions would be appreciate it.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Thenuge

by Thenuge

^^^ I like the looks of the Orca Aero. It's a simple design. The new propel looks cool but I think they might be disc only? And the prices on the Orbeas seem very competitive and I think dealers might have room on them. I was talking to the orbea dealer last year and he said with the exchange rates he could offer really good deals.

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

No frameset option on the Orca Aero?
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

Delorre

by Delorre

Noctiluxx wrote:No frameset option on the Orca Aero?

Not yet for the 2018 models, I asked my lbs about the new regular Orca Disc. Framesets will be available once the first batches of complete bike hit the sales floors. So probably in september.

bilwit

by bilwit

renoracing wrote:Man, the custom paint options really have me thinking this might be my next bike. I'm a sucker for an understated white bike...
I've got my heart set on something aero, but also somewhat versatile. I'd like clearance for 25mm if not larger, direct mount brakes(not bottom bracket mounted), and hoping to avoid proprietary bits(Trek brakes, etc). I'd also like the option to run either Di2 or mechanical. This seems to check all of those boxes!
I'd be interested to see frame weights once they start landing in customers hands....

Same. I was originally going to get the normal Orca but was still saving money and was on the fence about the paint scheme, then this came out just when I was ready to make an order so I pulled the trigger on it. I'm not one wave the aero flag and generally like understated, standard geometry bikes but the aesthetic is very nice, especially the bowed out forks and I can finally get an all white bike with black logos (I probably for sure would have gotten the new BMC Team Machine but the red on white had me turned away). I would be surprised if I got it under 7kgs though, not too many places to save weight especially with the DA9000 mechanical I'm putting on it.

Delorre wrote:
Noctiluxx wrote:No frameset option on the Orca Aero?

Not yet for the 2018 models, I asked my lbs about the new regular Orca Disc. Framesets will be available once the first batches of complete bike hit the sales floors. So probably in september.

I also inquired about this and they told me the same and that they recommend just getting the 105 build and binning the parts because it was only $300 more than they're going to sell the frameset for.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

So the frames will be $3k? Yea no reason not to buy the 105 version then. You'll have spare parts and another set of wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com