New Orbea Orca Aero

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

you mean it is an aero bike so you plan to use it just on flat terrain? it can easily be an aero allrounder if you shave a little bit weight.. (well, not necessary, it is about legs, but you know what i mean:)
my L size scott foil disc is 7,6kg with pedals and cages and garmin mount, aero bars, no super weight weenie components.. i just use 35mm mcfk rims so my wheelset is lightweight, but the frame is not even a premium model..
so you can easily go much lighter for sure;)

Shrike

by Shrike

dominikk wrote:it's aero bike ... :thumbup:

It's also nearly 2018. The aero monicker needs to be dying. All bikes should be both aero and light. When the dust settles, we'll call them... 'bikes'.

Aero bikes from 3 years ago are lighter than this, we have two here. S5 and Aeroad CF SLX. Questions need to be asked about the Orca's weight for sure. It's not like the bike is inexpensive and can be justified that way. The only other option is that is has groundbreaking performance in the wind tunnel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

How much faster you could be if the bike was 1kg lighter? I don't demand exact numbers of course as it depends on so many factors.. just something to get a feeling..
I have seen a youtube video where they compared 7,3kg Canyon Aeroad vs some 10kgs bike and the difference was quite significant, esp. up the hill..

hannawald

by hannawald

Shrike wrote:
dominikk wrote:it's aero bike ... :thumbup:

Aero bikes from 3 years ago are lighter than this, we have two here. S5 and Aeroad CF SLX. Questions need to be asked about the Orca's weight for sure. It's not like the bike is inexpensive and can be justified that way.

Aeroad is very light, but it's more an exception than rule, isn't it? Consider Venge Vias, Ridley Noah Sl, Merida, Trek Madone, non SL Giant Propel Disc.. all of them quite heavy..

Shrike

by Shrike

hannawald wrote:How much faster you could be if the bike was 1kg lighter? I don't demand exact numbers of course as it depends on so many factors.. just something to get a feeling..
I have seen a youtube video where they compared 7,3kg Canyon Aeroad vs some 10kgs bike and the difference was quite significant, esp. up the hill..

Yeah well we know that both weight and aerodynamics save time dependant on the course. For me it's mostly about feel, I can feel the difference between a lighter and heavier bike when lugging it up climbs.

But it shouldn't be down to us to rehash tired old arguments and break out the physics calculators online. Manufacturers can put out 6.8kg bikes that are as aerodynamic as their modelling allows.

As consumers spending a lot of money, we need to be demanding that. You can put out a 1.4kg aero frame and try to sell it to me, but be prepared to be asked why I shouldn't just buy the lighter just-as-aero model from your competitor.

That's all I'm saying here, don't let it put you off the Orca Aero though. I'm definitely not one to try and ruin a purchase, and I already feel bad I've started this. I would personally definitely consider the Orca Aero myself, I think it looks amazing, and I have a feeling it will do well in the Tour tests next year if they pick it.

About that list of bikes you mentioned, I think those are nearly all last gen bikes. We should be seeing 2018/2019 models of those soon, eg. S5, VIAS, Madone..

Some light tubs would get the weight down anyway 8)

dominikk

by dominikk

With few hundreds of euros I can easily come with bikes weight under 7 kgs.
Cockpit, wheels, pedals, saddle, ... BUT ...
For me is not about the weight, its about the feeling!
Try it out, take a ride, ... everything else is less important unless u are pro,
and until I have more than 10% fat ... we all know what I mean.
BUT you are all right about ahaving weight, compromise between aero and lightweight and so on, and so on ...
Riding Paniagua - The Future of cycling!

reedplayer

by reedplayer

kgt wrote:One of the put-offs in the case of Orbea is that they cannot but drastically alter every new Orca model in relation to the previous one. Their design identity is nonexistent

+1

TonyM

by TonyM

Love the look and love the colours that they offer!

dominikk

by dominikk

TonyM wrote:Love the look and love the colours that they offer!

:thumbup:

stormur

by stormur

dominikk wrote:With few hundreds of euros I can easily come with bikes weight under 7 kgs.
Cockpit, wheels, pedals, saddle, ... BUT ...
For me is not about the weight, its about the feeling!
Try it out, take a ride, ... everything else is less important unless u are pro,
and until I have more than 10% fat ... we all know what I mean.
BUT you are all right about ahaving weight, compromise between aero and lightweight and so on, and so on ...

With few hundred of euros you will but pedals and saddle only I afraid.. for the rest on your list you need few thousand more :mrgreen:

About all the rest I'm totally with you :thumbup:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

dominikk

by dominikk

few hundreds is up to 999 and then is thousands
you are right. Thanks
:welcome:

dominikk

by dominikk

Shrike

by Shrike

Stunning, congrats! Poor brake cable didn't survive the aggressive F stop :P

TonyM

by TonyM

Really NICE! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Which stem/ handlebar is it?
And which wheels?

dominikk

by dominikk

Stem/handlebar: FSA Metron 5D compact
Wheelset: DT PRC 1400 Spline 65 (clinchers) - https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/whe ... spline-65/

All about:
https://www.orbea.com/us-en/bicycles/or ... 11iteam-18

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com