Weight weenie frame choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mag

by mag

reedplayer wrote:hmmm, is this the trek everybody is talking about?, sorry, but frameset looks awful! most-clumsy steerer tube since long! :oops:

https://www.trekbikes.com/de/de_DE/bike ... 0000-2017/

No, this is the right one (not that it looks that much different): https://www.trekbikes.com/de/de_DE/bike ... 0000-2018/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

+1
In H2 geometry it is really unattractive.

1415chris

by 1415chris

You have done the maths, so you can clearly see which options are more, which are less sensible from £ point of view.
On the other hand, I would hate asking myself "why I didn't get myself RCA" ;)

bbqpork

by bbqpork

They claimed that they are not making a new RCA for the new 2018 R5 Geo, but who knows.
With the Emonda (Old), not sure if they changed the new one. Its literally a McDonald's french fries cup flip side ways to maximize wind resistant(Down tube). Atleast with the Evo, Ultimate, R series, they are made with slightly more modern tube shapes.

Considering the Evo/Ultimate/SLR are considerably cheaper then the RCA, just pick anyone.
If they do make a new RCA in the future, buy that too. No regrets when you have them all :P

sawyer

by sawyer

If you can live with the boring paint/stealth I'd go Canyon. It offers a weight weenie frame
that is also aero and comfortable
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

964Cup

by 964Cup

Canyon out of stock on the frame-only option for the Ultimate CF Evo, so that rules them out.

Tempted to get the R5Ca repaired. Not smitten with the Trek, can't try the AX before purchase as no dealers, the RCa is not really a step forward from the R5Ca, don't want the Look. Can't see the point in spending £7,000 broadly to end up where I started; none of these bikes really feels like a step forwards.

Incidentally, WRT the Canyon, all sorts of challenges. Hopeless seatpost with 10mm setback (I need 25mm for that reach/stack combo, and the next size up has a head tube the height of the Eiffel tower); supplied with an integrated bar/stem (not clear that you get to choose the stem length or angle) and I think they have a Giant-style stupid oversize steerer, no? So I'd have to buy a new stem from a very small choice of suppliers. Feh.

RyanH

by RyanH

Having had both the R5ca and the Cannondale Evo, I'd take the Evo over the R5ca. It's just a better handling bike and descending on it puts a grin on your face. They're ubiquitous so go find a local shop that'll let you demo one. Bring your wheels too.

uraqt

by uraqt

I know it's not the same bikes however I feel that there is are big differences between the 1nd gen and 2rd gen..R5 and would not be surprised if the R5Ca and RCA rode different.

For some reason I never loved the 1nd gen it rode brittle and the 2gen rode smother.

C

I could have my gens off ...

dastott

by dastott

Another vote for the SS Evo HM. Ticks all the boxes, unless you want something rare, or want to run fat tyres.

964Cup

by 964Cup

I had a look at the Z-Zero. I don't get the impression that they're all that light. I'm not terribly interested in custom carbon - I don't think of carbon bikes as "bikes for life". I quite fancy a Bastion (custom Ti 3D-printed lugs, carbon tubes) but that's not an R5Ca replacement, that's an N+1, and would have to duke it out with a Passoni before I committed.

I think I might just get a 2018 R5 and spend some of the saving on Schmolke or AX finishing kit to get the weight back down.

sawyer

by sawyer

964Cup wrote:Incidentally, WRT the Canyon, all sorts of challenges. Hopeless seatpost with 10mm setback (I need 25mm for that reach/stack combo, and the next size up has a head tube the height of the Eiffel tower); supplied with an integrated bar/stem (not clear that you get to choose the stem length or angle) and I think they have a Giant-style stupid oversize steerer, no? So I'd have to buy a new stem from a very small choice of suppliers. Feh.

You're right it's more limiting yes ... to be fair the seatpost is 27.2mm so easily swapped out vs the daft Cannondale thing, but the very nice and aero bar / stem, unless the size suits you, condemns you to limited stem choices (they may let you pick the size, but all the same it's a limited range).
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

964Cup

by 964Cup

I'm still vacillating. I ruled out the AX for no particularly good reason, but one supplier in the UK can get RCa, R5 and Emonda, so I've asked them what the best deal is they can give me on each frameset plus the relevant missing components (seatpost/seat mast cap, replacement RD etc). The Emonda remains compelling value; cheaper than the R5 - and that includes replacement eeBrakes, allowing me to sell mine or transfer them to another bike. I could buy two of them for the cost of the RCa plus bits. Seeing Mollema win on one yesterday didn't hurt, either.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

Our shop got in an Emonda SLR 56cm for a customer build. So I had the frame in my hands. Light? Yes. BUT, as to be expected, the chainstays were very easy to flex in my hand, as were the seatstays and the fork. The toptube felt like a coke can. I too have had a load of bikes in my time, but when you can bend the tubes like that, to me it's telltale.

Granted this was being built and I was not able to ride it. But take your own fav frame, and grip together the dropouts (no wheel). You ought not to expect a wet noodle. So yes, I am leery, and looking forward to reading some actual (unpaid) ride reviews by someone with some wattage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com