Colnago warranty service?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Has anyone had any warranty experience with Colnago, especially with the frames made in Italy?

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I had a fork replaced on a C59. There was a paint issue, and the dealer had a replacement fork sent. They sent back my defective one.

-Eddie

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I had an issue on an EPS, they took care of it but it was not fast.

wilwil

by wilwil

mvacolnago wrote:I had an issue on an EPS, they took care of it but it was not fast.

Like months?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Out of curiosity, what is wrong with your frame that is faulty or broken?
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I sent it there in late august, it was december before it was returned, the glue joint from the top tube to head tube lug had come separated by 3mm, it started out as what looking like a paint crack but it grew to 3mm. They replaced the tube and it has been wonderful ever since (2010)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

That's interesting as I'm still not sure how they can replace the top tube only without taking the whole thing apart. The tubes extend all the way through those lugs with a perfect miter at the headtube. Therefore, to get a new top tube in they'd really have to pull out the tube from both the headtube, seattube cluster and remove the downtube from the BB shell as a minimum in order to be able to reinsert a new top tube and put Humpty back together again. I suppose they could really heat things up presuming the glue/epoxy they use responds to that making it somewhat easy to do, but that would require a complete new paint job as well. I know this is getting off topic but I've always been curious as to their process when they replace just a top tube as in your case. I've never had to warranty a colnago frame or even know anyone who has. I'm not sure they still even do repairs like that anymore. I think I asked last year when I needed my C59 chainstay repaired after a crash because if they would have done it I'd have sent it off since I didn't need it back anytime soon.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kode54

by kode54

could it be that they just re-glued the top tube back in...then touched up the paint?

my drop out on my AX broke. sent it back to AX and they re attached a new one, resprayed clear matte on top. couldn't tell it was ever replaced.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

It was totally repainted, and it no longer matched the fork in color and pattern, that is one of the reasons I did the respray/upgrade

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130109

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

So, do you know if they actually took the frame apart as I described above to do the repair. Sounds like maybe they did since they also did a complete repaint, which would have been required for sure if that was the case.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I am guessing they replaced the top tube. There was white crayon marking the frame size on the the inside of top tube. It was
visible from the head tube lug opening.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Yes, I'm sure they did replace the top tube, but I was thinking the only way they could do that is to pull the frame apart as I described. It's not like the carbon tubes can bend like a bow in order to somehow get the tube into the lugs without spreading them apart. The white chalk marks are on all the tubes inside with the frame size that they are to be used for. I would think that those kinds of repairs aren't even done anymore, and it's probably cheaper just to replace the frame in its entirety.

@WilWil: I'm still curious what as to what is wrong with your frame? Maybe there's a more expedient way to fix it than send it back to Colnago?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

Calnago wrote:Out of curiosity, what is wrong with your frame that is faulty or broken?

Small crack in the head tube. I only rode it three times. Went back April 11th