3T Strada aero road bike is made for wide tires and 1×12 drivetrains

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Marin

by Marin

ntb1001 wrote:dosnt look to interesting to me

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Speedposting for the for sale forum?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fa63

by fa63

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... iew-51396/

This review basically sums up my views.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

fa63 wrote:http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/category/bikes/road/product/3t-strada-review-51396/

This review basically sums up my views.

An honest assessment fairly free of personal bias and an open mind. I'll take "future of road bikes" and "super weird, but fun".
-SD

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Marin wrote:12 speed cassette is fake news http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... tte-50278/

Indeed it would seem a bit premature to have a 12 speed cassette without 12 speed road shifters, chainrings, etc.
-SD

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

So finally i got my answer. There is no 12 speed cassette as there are no shifters, and the paint will be scraped off riding fatter tires.
I know how it looks, cause i have had that happen to my UP.
For road, i wouldn't get a 1*11 either.
It seems this would suit best for flat riding, like a TT bike, but better handling?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Marin

by Marin

I'm riding 1x on 2 road bikes and I like it. If there's a better XD cassette coming I might have a look, something like a *light* and affordable 10-36.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

wheelsONfire wrote:So finally i got my answer. There is no 12 speed cassette as there are no shifters, and the paint will be scraped off riding fatter tires.
I know how it looks, cause i have had that happen to my UP.
For road, i wouldn't get a 1*11 either.
It seems this would suit best for flat riding, like a TT bike, but better handling?

Careful, I only said a 12 speed cassette ahead of 12 speed shifters would be premature.

Do you recall riding a 2 x 9 system on the road? Have you had a big increase in performance, range, or reliability when you moved to 2 x 11s? What bonus gear did you get? A 15t? an 18t? Did the addition of those cogs suddenly flatten the climbs, increase your speed on the flats and give you the strength to comfortably spin at 50kph?

For some consumers the change from an 9 or 10 speed group to 11s has been about added range, moving from ~267% to 330% for example. Many don't ride a specific speed, power, cadence, etc. They simply pedal off. This is not a bike for everyone, but doesn't the industry have enough of "those" already?

2lo8

by 2lo8

Careful, I only said a 12 speed cassette ahead of 12 speed shifters would be premature.

It seems to me, despite having multiple 3T employees "contribute" to this thread, and even entertain the idea of 12 instead of offering clarification or correcting any misunderstanding, 3T rather enjoys the attention and publicity gained from the fake news. Not that I'm the target customer, which as already been clearly established, but I don't think I'd buy from a company that employs such marketing tactics and enjoys being the beneficiary of "fake news" and to that extent promotes it or at the very least refuses to clarify or correct when given the opportunity and can only be compelled to offer an intentionally ambiguous clarification when confronted with hard facts.

Do you recall riding a 2 x 9 system on the road? Have you had a big increase in performance, range, or reliability when you moved to 2 x 11s? What bonus gear did you get? A 15t? an 18t? Did the addition of those cogs suddenly flatten the climbs, increase your speed on the flats and give you the strength to comfortably spin at 50kph?

This is quite the silly assertion, full of inaccuracy. I'm not sure if you recall riding 2x9. The standard small cog was 12t, except for time trial cassettes with 21t or 23t big cogs, or MTB cassettes. Sometimes even 13t small cogs. Refer to Shimano tech docs on CS-7700, CS-6500 and CS-5500.

The 11t cog only became standard during the second generation of 10 speed when compacts became the norm in order to maximize range. Refer to Shimano tech docs CS-7800 and CS-7900, etc. But it should be established that going from 9 to 10, and by extension 11, yes, it did give us the ability to pedal 50+kph at comfortable cadences. I personally rarely use this ratio, but I know several riders who feel much more comfortable pedaling downhill instead of tucking, especially neophytes. It doesn't take much strength to pedal downhill at 50kph, if you have the strength to get up such an incline in the first place. Because they are often adding so little power to the system, they actually prefer higher gears and lower cadence so there is some resistance.

Regarding the jump to 11 speed, I gained the 16t cog on a SRAM 11-28. I have my own opinions of why I dislike the Shimano 11-28, and 11s is for the most part, a waste for that specific cassette. It should be quite obvious to anyone not being intentionally obtuse and misleading what speed range cogs in the 15-18t range help at. Yes, it does help on the flats, many people don't like widely spaced cassettes, that's why road cassettes tend to have narrower gaps than MTB cassettes. I don't have to switch between a gear too high and a gear too low trying to find my comfort zone. If not an actual speed increase, then it is at least reflected in a comfort increase. A comfort increase in the gear range I most frequently use.

Alternatively, I could have added a 32t cog instead of the 16t cog, which indeed would help flatten hills. Having one or the other means I can have both and not have to pick between a 16t or 32t. It's not merely adding a cog. It's gaining the benefits of two different cassettes from the previous generation. Clearly this doesn't matter to people who think that people who don't know how front derailers work should be expected to swap out cassettes based on terrain. They'd simply change their cassettes.

For some consumers the change from an 9 or 10 speed group to 11s has been about added range, moving from ~267% to 330% for example.

No, that's simply an effect of adding wider ranges at all gear levels to make road cycling more accessible. You can get the same range, 50x34 with 11-32 with Claris. Refer to http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/mot ... age_sl.htm for an example, since apparently, people may not be following trends on the lower end of road cycling equipment. It's the narrow cassettes with small gear jumps that are found by upgrading speeds, not wider range. Note as a general trend, it tends to be narrow range cassettes omitted from lower end lines. There are wide range cassettes available all the way down. Refer to CS-5800 and CS-6800. There are fewer options and Shimano refuses to offer a cassette with both 11t and 16t at the 105 level. The wide range options are retained.

Many don't ride a specific speed, power, cadence, etc. They simply pedal off.

Yes, and they could pedal off without an aero carbon bike, get something equipped with Shimano Claris and enjoy wide and huge gear jumps too. (but they'd have to use their left shifter, the horror) Certainly while aerobikes may benefit anyone at any speed, and a light bike may help any rider at any strength level, it would seem odd for someone that doesn't care about those things to spend money an aero carbon bike. Even slower riders I know with nice bikes still care about those things. I'm certainly not the fastest rider and I care about those things. Oddly enough, the people I know who don't care have drunk the Grant Peterson kool aid, and are more likely to be riding Surly with FAT rubber and the like.

This is not a bike for everyone, but doesn't the industry have enough of "those" already?

That's great that this is now admitted to be a fred niche bike, because before I had a 3T employee trying to pour kool aid down my throat insisting that 1x is so much better for normal use, not just niche use, and the only reason I wanted 2x was because I was emulating pro chainrings. Pardon me if you get a differing opinion from your kool aid. Indeed, what the industry needs is aero carbon bikes for people who don't know how to use front derailers, just want to pedal and go and have massive range (the Allez sprint for example, is not nearly as offensive, because it's designed around a niche where 1x makes sense).
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

AZR3

by AZR3

:goodpost: :beerchug:

itsacarr

by itsacarr

Im not quite sure 3T has ever taken the stance that their products are what anyone, "needs". I dig the different approaches and the niche\different targeted bikes they have come out with. For what it's worth I have also never read any review, press release, or product launch overview and come away with the feeling that any of the technology is being pushed onto people. As opposed to other brands who do stipulate a product as being, the best, or better than all generations previous etc. etc.... Somehow this thread has gone from exploratory, to explanatory to straight up complaining that this is something we don't need and dubbed kool-aide.

It's a cool toy that serves a function and takes things from a decidedly different perspective. Whether that falls ahead of the curve or way outside of it is up to the market to decide. After all, no one is being forced to buy it. But kudos to industry folks for trying to answer a few questions in these threads. It's not as bad as a Bikerumor thread but things certainly do get pointed.

Aero or not, I'm looking forward to the wider trend on the wheels and tires that are used on this particular bike. I have had the chance to roll 28's on some of the really wide setups like the ENVE 4.5 discs and I definitely enjoyed it. No idea how to feel about the 1x setup but I played on that Specialized lunch bike for a while in the 1x setup and while as a product I understand it was testing the waters a bit ... it was super fun. If I recall people knocked that one quite a bit as well on the forums.
Just ride ..

2lo8

by 2lo8

Zitter works at 3T as well. SuperDave is peddling dubious theories. Yes, that's right, 3T employees are pushing kool aid in this thread. And it didn't start off about saying how this is a super niche bike. I'm pretty sure the press package they sent to all these outlets hinted at 12 speed and maybe talked about how this was the future of bikes, since that seems to be a common theme, not just a little niche machine. It's not a response to a press release. Clearly none of those 3T employees tried to answer the questions raised about 12 speeds. You give them far too much credit, and give others little to no benefit of the doubt.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

AZR3

by AZR3

That's what bugs me, the first preview from bikeradar mentioned 12spd and the possibility of 13spd at some point and the mysterious 3T cassette, plus the name of this thread has 1x12 in it and it took till page 8, nearly a month after the first post and numerous posts from 3T people before another article was linked with info that there is no 12spd drivetrain for this bike in the foreseeable future. 3T should have nipped the 12spd thing in the butt right at the start instead of letting people think 12spd was going to happen. They knew it wasn't but stayed silent

2lo8

by 2lo8

Indeed, when I first saw the press release, I figured it was mostly a publicity stunt that they would sell a few of. 3T had their aero gravel bike which was also pretty niche, and you expect press releases to hype it up.

It is 3T's response in this thread that makes me think worse of them. I thought Zitter was merely a deluded 1x advocate, who also talked about 1x12, with wonk theories and kool aid. It wasn't until later that someone asked him if he worked for 3T that I realized what just happened. Then SuperDave responds about 12 speed only after an article appears about 12 speed being fake news, when he could have indeed nipped it in the bud, but it's quite clear they want to milk as much press exposure out of it as possible instead of being honest and forthcoming about it. Then he starts pushing his wonk theories too. Clearly, there seems to be a pattern, it's not just one rogue agent at 3T.

It wasn't their silly bike that made me think less of 3T, I myself have a fair number of silly bikes. It was the actions of 3T staff posting in this thread that did.
[2lo8.wordpress.com]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

:roll: getting mad at marketing doing it's job....

3t made a unique bike pushing their theories, 1 month later people are still taking about their bike on forums. Seems like a pretty good job to me. I really don't think their is a grand disinformation campaign going on. If there is going to be 12 speed road, it won't be made by 3t and it'll be heavily under wraps buy I'm assuming Sram. I'm guessing 3t don't want to be the ones to break the embargo if it does exist, so all they can do is hint.