2018 giant propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The 2017 model frameset goes for $3,000 with brakes. Hopefully the new one will be priced similarly or lower without the brakes.

I don't like the wheels nor the exorbitant price for the top-tier models. So a frameset is the logical choice for me if I do get one.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ryan94

by Ryan94

pdlpsher1 wrote:The 2017 model frameset goes for $3,000 with brakes. Hopefully the new one will be priced similarly or lower without the brakes.

I don't like the wheels nor the exorbitant price for the top-tier models. So a frameset is the logical choice for me if I do get one.

From what I heard they will not offer a frameset for a while.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Ryan94 wrote:From what I heard they will not offer a frameset for a while.

Understood. The demand for this bike might be high initially. There's no point in offering a frameset initially as they make more money forcing you to buy a whole bike. I'm in no hurry so I'll wait it out until demand falls off.

yosshaa

by yosshaa

new aero frame
r8000 ultegra group
hydro disc brakes
carbon aero wheels
under 4k? probably closer to mid 3000 level?

The propel advanced disc seems like a steal. I don't even mind the radio active red colorway.

Thenuge

by Thenuge

2018s are live on the Giant website.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Funny that I hear no complaints about disk brakes on an aero bike :D

Full cockpit integration also means zero opportunities for WW. But I guess that's the trend now anyways. You can't make the most aero bike with all those cables sticking out.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

I'm trying to figure out how the 2018 model has 10 watts advantage with discs!

"Giant did not specify the wind-drag numbers for the bikes, but the company did give out two calculated numbers for the power required to move bike and rider at 40kph, averaged across 0–30 degrees yaw.

The original Propel required 217 watts with the pedaling dummy; the new Propel Disc requires 207 watts."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The difference probably comes down to wheel selection...

dastott

by dastott

Like the look of this a lot. Would be nice if buyers can choose bar widths and stem lengths themselves. Not interested in running 44cm bars on a L size bike.

wingguy

by wingguy

mpulsiv wrote:I'm trying to figure out how the 2018 model has 10 watts advantage with discs!

"Giant did not specify the wind-drag numbers for the bikes, but the company did give out two calculated numbers for the power required to move bike and rider at 40kph, averaged across 0–30 degrees yaw.

Because they've weighted it to high yaw numbers? :wink:

In the cyclingtips article the Giant engineer admitted that the original Propel was poor in high yaw angles but good going straight, the new exaggerated TAP profiles look like they'll be excellent in high yaw, if not any faster in a straight line.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Correction: it has 15 watts advantage
https://cyclingtips.com/2017/08/giant-p ... ails-price, not 10 watts, reported by Bike Radar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

jin28h

by jin28h

I am waiting for 2018 model in Korea.....

hannawald

by hannawald

Has anybody read something about the stem angle? Looking at the geometry and M looks ok in terms of reach but too low (stack). But it seems that Giant stem angle may not be negative as it is common (this would make a difference to bar height... )

peted76

by peted76

That looks like a new seat mast topper, the hole looks bigger... so lighter?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Its good that something has finally replaced the venge disk as the ugliest bike on the road. Might be fierce competition going forward.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;