2018 giant propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartan

by spartan

i have a tcr advanced pro (green ) coming in in feb/march time frame. already ordered some upgrades :) dt swiss discs to replace the stock narrow width rims.

only concern i have is giant has not anounced pricing/availability on proprietary stem. ordered a medium will need to get a 110mm stem.

here is one review. the luv it.

https://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test ... 3280.9.htm
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

I think u really mean Propel Advanced Pro in green lol. good stuff, waiting for your ride report.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

yosshaa

by yosshaa

Got mine in November and I love it. Not a weight weenie but clean and loaded with features. Don’t know how you could argue this isn’t the best value out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TonyM

by TonyM

yosshaa wrote:Image

Got mine in November and I love it. Not a weight weenie but clean and loaded with features. Don’t know how you could argue this isn’t the best value out there.

Yes if you keep it stock a good value for the money indeed.

If you upgrade some parts like wheels etc...then not that good.

Kaben

by Kaben

yosshaa wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 am

Looks lovely! What did you ride before / what else do you ride if you don't mind me asking? How does the new propel compare? This is my first aero specific frame and a little concerned about the harshness of the ride for longer road races and / or trips to Mallorca etc.

Kaben

by Kaben

spartan wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:37 am
i have a tcr advanced pro (green ) coming in in feb/march time frame. already ordered some upgrades :) dt swiss discs to replace the stock narrow width rims.

only concern i have is giant has not anounced pricing/availability on proprietary stem. ordered a medium will need to get a 110mm stem.

here is one review. the luv it.

https://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test ... 3280.9.htm
Where are you buying it from? My local giant dealer will swap stems and bars for appropriate lengths and widths for no charge.
TonyM wrote: Is it usual to wait so long for a Giant bike ?
(I always assumed that delivery time for Giant bikes were very short as Giant is the largest manufacturers of bikes worldwide)
For the UK market there were a lot of pre-orders so hardly any bikes even hit shop floors ( in South East England anyway). My order is part of next wave of orders I believe.

spartan

by spartan

can you please post more detailed pics of your new propel. does a 28mm clincher fit in the rear? how is the bar/stem interface/ spacers aesthetics

yosshaa wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:28 am

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Kaben

by Kaben

Just received notice from LBS that many Giant bike models, (including the Propel advanced pro :cry: ) are going to be significantly delayed in Europe due to logistical problems they are having getting bikes shipped from Taiwan.

Expected delivery has slipped to the end of April from mid Feb which is gutting. Means it likely won't be here in time for my Mallorca trip in April. Was really looking forward to disc brakes on the mountain descents!

TonyM

by TonyM

Kaben wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am
Just received notice from LBS that many Giant bike models, (including the Propel advanced pro :cry: ) are going to be significantly delayed in Europe due to logistical problems they are having getting bikes shipped from Taiwan.

Expected delivery has slipped to the end of April from mid Feb which is gutting. Means it likely won't be here in time for my Mallorca trip in April. Was really looking forward to disc brakes on the mountain descents!

"logistical problems" is a nice way to put it :mrgreen:

spartan

by spartan

maybe giant is having production issues with the propel. i don't see any customer bikes posted on social media.

are any available in the us west coast?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TonyM

by TonyM

spartan wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:53 am
maybe giant is having production issues with the propel. i don't see any customer bikes posted on social media.

I suspect that you are right with the production issues.

They are also not the only one when you look at Specialized who has still not announced their New Tarmac Disc.
Maybe Specialized is also being product by Giant.

jlok

by jlok

I thought Specialized are produced by Merida... Do they still own ard 50% of Merida?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

TonyM

by TonyM

jlok wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:20 am
I thought Specialized are produced by Merida... Do they still own ard 50% of Merida?
Yes you are right! Sorry. I completely forgot that.
I heard that they bought back the 50% of Merida. Not sure if this is true however.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Merida still owns 49% of Specialized, not the other way around.

Despite this, Merida likely isn’t the sole producer of Specialized’s carbon frames.

Kaben

by Kaben

spartan wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:53 am

It’s not just the propel, other giant models affected too.

I was told they were having trouble with the cargo ships which I can understand. If you miss a slot it can be a delay of months because those boats do not move fast.

My brother works in the boardgame industry and getting stock into container ships in time for planned sales targets is a nightmare.

Doesn’t mean I’m happy though - currently without a bike as my last one is smashed to bits!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com