2018 giant propel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wingguy

by wingguy

peted76 wrote:That looks like a new seat mast topper, the hole looks bigger... so lighter?

But fatter seatmast so more material to wrap around. Maybe comes out even...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

smartyiak

by smartyiak

NiFTY wrote:Its good that something has finally replaced the venge disk as the ugliest bike on the road. Might be fierce competition going forward.

NOT.EVEN.CLOSE!

I like the red Advanced...the other colors = meh (but I still think the outlines look good). AND they got rid of the medusa-looking cable routing; the best reason ever for discs = vanity! :)

The only thing that could make a VIAS uglier would be putting that Cervelo S5/S3 post on it. And as for the graphics: at least it's not a 2018 Cannondale!!!! :lol: :lol:

TonyM

by TonyM

Actually not too bad this new propel Disc but I do not like to be obliged to get these 42mm/65mm Giant wheels and then buying a second pair of wheels that I like :(

BTW, how is the consensus about this Giant integrated seat post/ seat mast? How easy/ how far can you adjust it to your needs in terms of height? (I sometimes ride with different types of shoes and I have to adjust accordingly the height of my saddle)

smartyiak

by smartyiak

I wonder what the max spacer height is. I assume that lowest is slammed, but in the cyclingtips article, the photos (about 3/4 page down) of the green Advanced SL and the red Advanced disc, there seems to be quite a stack of spacers. Maybe I missed it in the article?

wingguy

by wingguy

Giant's usual ISP toppers have come with up to 2.5 cm of spacers, and can be raised in 1mm increments through that whole range. Adjusting it is very straightforward.

jlok

by jlok

Geometries are 99% the same as TCR. TCR is lighter but Propel is more aero... which one is better for your terrain?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Stickman

by Stickman

And a decent jump up in price for the aero benefit

jlok

by jlok

official price of both TCR / Propel Advanced SL1 level should be the same...

http://www.giantcyclingworld.com/bike.php?id=20180048
http://www.giantcyclingworld.com/bike.php?id=20188510
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

oraclesin

by oraclesin

disk brake...?!

gibsoncn

by gibsoncn

hannawald wrote:Has anybody read something about the stem angle? Looking at the geometry and M looks ok in terms of reach but too low (stack). But it seems that Giant stem angle may not be negative as it is common (this would make a difference to bar height... )

It looks like it's -8˚ based on this pic:

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.com/ ... ips-38.jpg

jlok

by jlok

honestly... having touched the bike in a shop I'd suggest potential buyer to check carefully about the stack of the frame.

If you can't slam the stem it will look ugly with those rubber / composite spacers...

TonyM

by TonyM

jlok wrote:honestly... having touched the bike in a shop I'd suggest potential buyer to check carefully about the stack of the frame.

If you can't slam the stem it will look ugly with those rubber / composite spacers...

+1

Kaben

by Kaben

So has anyone else ordered one?

I have an Advanced Pro ( green one) on order with expected delivery mid feb.

Very few photos, videos or comments from owners so I assume most have not shipped yet. Im in that waiting for a new toy phase so want to see as much info as possible and the lack of it is killing me!

Personally really looking forward to disc brakes for crit racing - had more than one squeaky bum moment over the last couple of years trying to brake into corners as a pack with carbon wheels in standing water and realising I essentially had no brakes. Heavy rain mid race is horrible but quite common in the UK!

TonyM

by TonyM

Is it usual to wait so long for a Giant bike ?
(I always assumed that delivery time for Giant bikes were very short as Giant is the largest manufacturers of bikes worldwide)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

Have seen people riding the SL in Taiwan already...