Trek Émonda 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Fin. iPhone pic for now.

Not the lightest build by any means. It'll be about 16lbs with cages and garmin mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

^ that's pretty SIC.... love everything but the Qrings :)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spdntrxi wrote:^ that's pretty SIC.... love everything but the Qrings :)

They do require some babysitting while shifting, but they work for me. They help minimize the inefficiencies in my terrible pedaling technique.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Additional notes. If your wheels have hubs that require an externally splined centerlock rotor lockring (Shimano HB20) such as my White Industries CLD, you will need to grind down / chamfer the edge of the lockring in order to clear the flat-mount bulge on inside of the left fork leg. I spent the last couple hours searching for lower-profile externally notched lockrings without any luck.

First impressions. This is the most aggressive bike I've ever ridden. The front end is so low, when I straddle the bike it feels like there's a huge gulf between my crotch and the top tube. As seen in the photo, tire clearance is ridiculous. Those are 25mm Zipp Tangente Speed RT25s, which run between 26.5 and 26.75mm on ENVE SES 5.6 Disc rims. I think the chainstays can handle at least 31mm measured, and maybe even 32mm.

Thru-axle standards suck. As far as I can tell, the specific thru-axles needed for the Emonda SLR Disc are a 123mm long 12x1.75mm thread-pitch Maxle in front and a 174mm long 12x1.75mm thread-pitch Maxle in back.

Delorre

by Delorre

TobinHatesYou wrote:I ordered an H1 Emonda SLR Disc frameset in Trek Factory Racing colors 9 days ago. It'll probably arrive sometime this week. Project One colors are all kinda meh this time around. I wish Trek paint was as striking and original as Specialized's, but alas... I ended up settling on the Trek team colors because that specific red isn't available otherwise.

This weekend, I asked a Trek dealer near me about price and availability of an H1 Disc frameset, and he told me there wasn't any :shock: It's either H2 disc or H1 non disc he said. So, where did you start from? Or can the dealer, using a specific P1 interface, directly choose an H1 disc in P1 and start from there? I'll ask an other dealer also, maybe the first one wasn't aware of P1 (or not willing to propose it....) Very, very nice and spectacular bike you put together BTW! :thumbup: Did you weight it already? Or those Vector pedals?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Delorre wrote:This weekend, I asked a Trek dealer near me about price and availability of an H1 Disc frameset, and he told me there wasn't any :shock: It's either H2 disc or H1 non disc he said. So, where did you start from? Or can the dealer, using a specific P1 interface, directly choose an H1 disc in P1 and start from there? I'll ask an other dealer also, maybe the first one wasn't aware of P1 (or not willing to propose it....) Very, very nice and spectacular bike you put together BTW! :thumbup: Did you weight it already? Or those Vector pedals?

Shops can order framesets via a dealer-specific Project One website. The stock paint options start at US$3499. With both the stock $2999 non-P1 framesets and the P1 framesets, the seatmast cap is an extra $120-130.

It weighs a fraction over 16lbs with a standard tube in the front wheel, but without bottle cages or Garmin mount.

Yeah those are Vector 2s weighing the bike down. :p

Delorre

by Delorre

TobinHatesYou wrote: First impressions. This is the most aggressive bike I've ever ridden. The front end is so low, when I straddle the bike it feels like there's a huge gulf between my crotch and the top tube. As seen in the photo, tire clearance is ridiculous. Those are 25mm Zipp Tangente Speed RT25s, which run between 26.5 and 26.75mm on ENVE SES 5.6 Disc rims. I think the chainstays can handle at least 31mm measured, and maybe even 32mm.

Thru-axle standards suck. As far as I can tell, the specific thru-axles needed for the Emonda SLR Disc are a 123mm long 12x1.75mm thread-pitch Maxle in front and a 174mm long 12x1.75mm thread-pitch Maxle in back.

How is the fork clearance for bigger tyres? (Conti GP4000s 28mm f.ex) Rear seems fine, those Conti's are true 31mm tyres on a wide rim.

From a quick search, seems like you could swap the stock axles with some Maxle Stealth ones, found 125mm front and 174 rear ones online.

Delorre

by Delorre

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Delorre wrote:This weekend, I asked a Trek dealer near me about price and availability of an H1 Disc frameset, and he told me there wasn't any :shock: It's either H2 disc or H1 non disc he said. So, where did you start from? Or can the dealer, using a specific P1 interface, directly choose an H1 disc in P1 and start from there? I'll ask an other dealer also, maybe the first one wasn't aware of P1 (or not willing to propose it....) Very, very nice and spectacular bike you put together BTW! :thumbup: Did you weight it already? Or those Vector pedals?

Shops can order framesets via a dealer-specific Project One website. The stock paint options start at US$3499. With both the stock $2999 non-P1 framesets and the P1 framesets, the seatmast cap is an extra $120-130.

It weighs a fraction over 16lbs with a standard tube in the front wheel, but without bottle cages or Garmin mount.

Thx!! Are the stock paint options in P1 the same as for complete bikes?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Delorre wrote:From a quick search, seems like you could swap the stock axles with some Maxle Stealth ones, found 125mm front and 174 rear ones online.

I found the Shift-Up front Maxle. I couldn't find a SRAM/Rock Shox Maxle Stealth in 1.75mm.

Delorre wrote:Thx!! Are the stock paint options in P1 the same as for complete bikes?

Yeah it's the same four stock options. I didn't like any of them except the Trek Factory / Trek-Segafredo colors.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I asked White Industries if they have secret small lockring compatible endcaps, and yes they do. Having a pair sent out tomorrow.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

If someone had built up a 2018 SL with rim brakes, could you confirm the fork's weight? Trek's marketing press release gave conflicting info. One says it's 313 grams and another says 436 grames. I think the latter is probably correct.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

313g is the weight of the SLR rim-brake fork with vapor-coat.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:313g is the weight of the SLR rim-brake fork with vapor-coat.

Thanks. Several press releases say the fork is the same on both the SLR and SL. I'm trying to find out if that's true.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Looks like it's a little of both.

The SL7 and maybe the SL6 get the lighter SLR fork. The SL5 and below get the 436g fork.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TobinHatesYou wrote:Looks like it's a little of both.

The SL7 and maybe the SL6 get the lighter SLR fork. The SL5 and below get the 436g fork.

Yes. That's what I'm thinking too. I did read that the SL5s get the heavier fork.

I'm looking to see if I can buy just the fork for a special project of mine. I need a fork with direct mount brakes and no aftermarket forks are available at the moment. I ruled out Chinese no-name forks.