Trek Émonda 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Wonder.. if Trek does plant tours? Have to ask... good reason for a road trip. :thumbup:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Based on the quality of my cars made in the US (Jeep Grand Cherokee; Dodge RAM) I would not say that "made in the USA" means excellent quality [emoji37]I however strongly believe that the US can set up the spec and the controls in order to have an excellent final product (not made in the USA). Look at Apple & Co.!

I suppose that Trek has a final check for all top end frames made in Taiwan/ USA etc...

WinterRider

by WinterRider

TonyM wrote:Based on the quality of my cars made in the US (Jeep Grand Cherokee; Dodge RAM) I would not say that "made in the USA" means excellent quality .

Ah c'mon now.... :roll: lol.

You mean to say some of the manufacturing JUNK we buy is actually JUNK? Would suggest though your broad brush stroke applies to most of the manufacturing world today. "mike and mabel" will always buy said JUNK.. hence said JUNK will continue to flood our markets.

Trek used (rolled their own) to be a real bike company. My now departed Poprad IMO was one of their best... quality frame w welds that didn't look welded. Sadly that bike carried a name which I couldn't tolerate.......... L something.... :noidea:

Today's bike frames are land fill bikes... glue and fiber designed w a limited service life... and that is not JUNK?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Always nice to witness a belligerent rant.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

TobinHatesYou wrote:Always nice to witness a belligerent rant.

Many Thanks! :thumbup:

Maybe someday you'll post something MORE intelligent... ah.. but... yet you are correct. I did attack the sacred glue cow.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

WinterRider wrote:
Today's bike frames are land fill bikes... glue and fiber designed w a limited service life... and that is not JUNK?

A limited service life that Trek still offers a lifetime warranty on. :noidea:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TonyM wrote:Based on the quality of my cars made in the US (Jeep Grand Cherokee; Dodge RAM) I would not say that "made in the USA" means excellent quality

Don't judge all manufacturers by the results of one (you mentioned two FCA products, which are consistently and consistently rated at the bottom of quality surveys). There are plenty of quality automobiles made in the US from varying manufacturers (Ford, Toyota, Subaru, etc.).

I've owned Trek bikes made in the US as well as overseas. The differences between them have always come down to the quality of materials used and engineering, and not the quality of the manufacturing. I have no problem with a bike made in Taiwan or Europe or China, so long as the manufacturing is solid and the manufacturer stands behind the product (like Trek has done for me).

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Got a call from the LBS today. My frameset is in. 760g with the Trek Factory Racing colorway.

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:Got a call from the LBS today. My frameset is in. 760g with the Trek Factory Racing colorway.

Looks fantastic! Keen to see the final build!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

A couple of minor annoyances about the Project One process and ordering a frameset-only. There are hidden costs...

1) The disc frameset alone carries a $500 premium over, say, the $2999 Race Shop Limited rim-brake frame which is available off the shelf. This isn't really hidden, but it's a minor drag.
2) The integrated seatmast cap didn't have an integrated cost. It was an additional $130 despite not costing extra on complete Project One bikes.
3) Disc-brake frames with thru-axles should actually include thru-axles. $100 for DT Swiss front/rear thru-axles after looking at the accessory bag and not finding any. Why is this an important inclusion? Because thru-axle standards are still a bit varied. They have slightly different lengths and there are three different thread pitches (1mm, 1.5mm and 1.75mm.) There are also E-Thru and X-12/Syntace.

spartan

by spartan

what size is that frame? the racing red really pops !!!

btw how long the steer fork tube? weight?

TobinHatesYou wrote:Got a call from the LBS today. My frameset is in. 760g with the Trek Factory Racing colorway.

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Delorre

by Delorre

760gr is really great for a disc frame, but given this a (52?) H1, and given a non disc 56 H1 should weight 640gr, and the disc version only 665gr, I would be a little disappointed myself if no headset bearings are included in this 760.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Delorre wrote:

760gr is really great for a disc frame, but given this a (52?) H1, and given a non disc 56 H1 should weight 640gr, and the disc version only 665gr, I would be a little disappointed myself if no headset bearings are included in this 760.

It's a 54cm. The advertised 665g weight is for a U5 vaporcoat paintjob. My frame has a layer of white,ma layer of red, and a glossy clearcoat.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TobinHatesYou wrote:A couple of minor annoyances about the Project One process and ordering a frameset-only. There are hidden costs...

1) The disc frameset alone carries a $500 premium over, say, the $2999 Race Shop Limited rim-brake frame which is available off the shelf. This isn't really hidden, but it's a minor drag.
2) The integrated seatmast cap didn't have an integrated cost. It was an additional $130 despite not costing extra on complete Project One bikes.
3) Disc-brake frames with thru-axles should actually include thru-axles. $100 for DT Swiss front/rear thru-axles after looking at the accessory bag and not finding any. Why is this an important inclusion? Because thru-axle standards are still a bit varied. They have slightly different lengths and there are three different thread pitches (1mm, 1.5mm and 1.75mm.) There are also E-Thru and X-12/Syntace.

Try ordering a Madone frame set! "Oh, you want a bar/stem along with the frame? Better pay up!"

Any P1 paintjob is a minimum of $500 (MSRP) over the "off the shelf" frame (even for the "included" paint jobs). I wasn't sure about going with an "OTS" frame when I bought my Madone, but just changing the bar/stem would have incurred the fee. Luckily, I was able to use the standard bar/stem on my 9.2. What I tell everyone is that with Trek, you're better off buying a complete bike and selling the parts versus buying the frameset. You usually get a better price on the components this way.