Lightest aero bike? - venge/madone/s5/aeroad/more...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Which one is in your opinion easier to get to a light weight?

Seeing as many of these have integrated brakes, seatposts, handlebars, cables, not much can be done to minimize weight.

So in the search for a light aero bike these days, which one stands out?

Plus points if it's award winning aero design :D

/a

jlok

by jlok

The least integrate designed has the best potential to get wwed. But that might lose the aero advantages... and I hope the selection of the ww components would beat the original aesthetic.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RyanH

by RyanH

Scott Foil will be one of your lightest options.

I had mine at 6.2kg with the RZRs, eeBrakes and a Red GXP Quarq (760g). I think I could have gotten it down to 5.5kg with some effort.

Subtract 200g for the power meter and add back 250g for Bora 50s to keep the build reasonable. Image

Imaking20

by Imaking20

My AR FRD was 6235g without a lot of effort. eTap, EE brakes, and Reynolds tubulars (~1340g). With the same spec that's currently on my C60 - the AR would have been ~5.8kg

And I think it's pretty aero :)

53x12

by 53x12

RyanH wrote:Scott Foil will be one of your lightest options.

I had mine at 6.2kg with the RZRs, eeBrakes and a Red GXP Quarq (760g). I think I could have gotten it down to 5.5kg with some effort.

Subtract 200g for the power meter and add back 250g for Bora 50s to keep the build reasonable. Image

A Felt AR FRD in a size 56 will be significantly lighter than a Foil Team size 52 frame

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The current Madone is heavy - there's just no way around it. It has proprietary brakes and bar/stem combo and the seattube w/in a seattube construction (for IsoSpeed).

If you can get your hands on a previous-generation Madone (the one with the BB mounted brakes), you can really get that light, while having good aero properties. To give you an idea, on a 54, my shop weighed an H1 Madone to an H1 Emonda, and found the Madone to be 50g heavier than the Emonda. It takes pretty much any off-the-shelf part, and if you can find a Vapor Coat, you're already ahead of the game.

Beaver

by Beaver

http://www.tour-magazin.de/raeder/rennr ... 42207.html

Last Tour test - "Gewicht Rahmen/Gabel/Steuerlager" is "weight frame/fork/headset".

Shrike

by Shrike

Been working on the missus bike, still pedals, cassette and brakes to do. 200g left to come off.

6.83kg for the time being though.

S5 is heavier, but can go sub 7.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I think you should concern yourself with the components you're putting on the bike.

Tubulars + top of the line groupset will make something "light" automatically.

Let's face it: aerobikes are pigs (I own one). No matter what light components I put in it, it'll always be heavy unless I dig in my pockets deeper.

itsacarr

by itsacarr

There is a Garneau Gennix A1 from blacksmith on here that's pretty svelte.

The Scott and FRD are also great options.
Just ride ..

kode54

by kode54

g32ecs wrote:Let's face it: aerobikes are pigs (I own one). No matter what light components I put in it, it'll always be heavy unless I dig in my pockets deeper.

yup. my Parlee ESX is pretty heavy. don't even have to weigh it. plus, i have 25mm tires on it with Enve SES 6.7 clinchers. i could probably throw more money at it, but don't see any reason to...or tune it by cutting the seat post shorter and putting tubulars on it.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

mile2424

by mile2424

I have seen some light F10 builds, sub 15 lbs. Haven't seen any venge vias below 16, but love the bike.

arnoldagdagan

by arnoldagdagan

My bet is Trek Madone, leaning on looks and comfort [emoji106][emoji41][emoji6][emoji108][emoji468]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

http://www.neilprydebikes.com/bikes/nazare/

The NazareSL must be very close 920g frame in a L, 180g seat post and 360g Bar/Stem combo. NP are normally pretty accurate to claimed weight and some of the best riding bikes around, they have a really nice feel to them.

J

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

The cable routing on that Nazare just looks lazy and unattractive.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."