Specialized Tarmac Sport SL4 2017 vs Giant TCR Advanced Pro

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Which bike should I choose?

Specialized Tarmac Sport SL4 2017
16%
Giant TCR Advanced Pro Frameset
79%
Others
5%

Total votes: 38

frozzberg

by frozzberg

Hello forumers!

Im on the lookout for a new road bike currently and have narrowed down to 2 choices:

Specialized Tarmac Sport SL4 2017

Giant TCR Advanced Pro Frameset(Will build up w/ 105 groupset)

Both bikes when fully built up will cost around the same ~2100USD, am looking to keep within this budget, though i understand pricing varies across countries.

Some information about my riding:

I ride mostly on flats (I live in Singapore) on a recreational level, i do an average of 50-80KM every week(increasing steadily) and have an entry level Tiagra Alloy road bike currently. Im currently training up my fitness, having just started riding 8 months ago.

Now, on to my considerations for the above 2 choices:

1) Both colour schemes appeal to me equally (:

2) The tarmac weighs ~8.2/8.3KG vs the TCR which weights approximately 7.3/7.4kg. Question is, will I actually feel a difference when riding at my level?

The tarmac has FACT 9R Carbon vs TCR's T700 Carbon, from my research i garner the difference in frameset weights is approximately 200-300gms.

4) As for frame stiffness / comfort could anyone advice me on this as I have no means of test riding either of these frames

5) Im looking for a frame that I can keep in the long run and a frame that is worth upgrading its components over the next few years. Resale value is not my primary consideration right now

Would appreciately any advice or any other suggestions you guys might have!

Thank you in advance (:

kidrob

by kidrob

I'd go for the Giant, maybe invest a few bucks more and get the Ultegra Group (see also http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... our-money/) plus some "China Clinchers" (which wont be a big deal since you are already in Singapore) and with this be set for a good while. Oh, and welcome to WW :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alastairb

by alastairb

+ 1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

frozzberg

by frozzberg

kidrob wrote:I'd go for the Giant, maybe invest a few bucks more and get the Ultegra Group (see also http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... our-money/) plus some "China Clinchers" (which wont be a big deal since you are already in Singapore) and with this be set for a good while. Oh, and welcome to WW :)

Hmm yea Chinese Clinchers are pretty cheap at my side.. ~340 USD per set. Thank you for the link, I will check them out! (:

Another alternative is the TCR Advanced Pro 1 - Full ultegra w/ 30mm Giant Clinchers, though they are a little out of my budget range, but i reckon they might be worth it in the long run?

zirxo

by zirxo

I got the Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 a couple of weeks ago and so far I really love it.
The frame is superstiff and it's more comfortable then my Bianchi Sempre Pro I rode before it.

frozzberg

by frozzberg

zirxo wrote:I got the Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 a couple of weeks ago and so far I really love it.
The frame is superstiff and it's more comfortable then my Bianchi Sempre Pro I rode before it.

That's good to hear! Can't wait to get my hands on it, will post a pic once I get the bike I want (=

frozzberg

by frozzberg

Update: I have ordered my TCR Adv Pro 1 today, will post some pics when I get it! Thank you everyone for the advice, greatly appreciated! Have a nice day (:

kidrob

by kidrob

frozzberg wrote:Update: I have ordered my TCR Adv Pro 1 today, will post some pics when I get it! Thank you everyone for the advice, greatly appreciated! Have a nice day (:

Great to hear! Looking forward to see your final build :thumbup:

frozzberg

by frozzberg

kidrob wrote:
frozzberg wrote:Update: I have ordered my TCR Adv Pro 1 today, will post some pics when I get it! Thank you everyone for the advice, greatly appreciated! Have a nice day (:

Great to hear! Looking forward to see your final build :thumbup:

Will do buddy!

frozzberg

by frozzberg

It's here guys! Once again thank you to everyone who have advised me on my purchase!

Enjoy your rides this weekend (:Image

kidrob

by kidrob

frozzberg wrote:It's here guys! Once again thank you to everyone who have advised me on my purchase!

Enjoy your rides this weekend (:

Oh, wow, this was fast! And you ordered it with Ultegra as I see - good decision!

Which wheels are these? Did you just buy/order it like this or build yourself? Whats the weight?

frozzberg

by frozzberg

kidrob wrote:
frozzberg wrote:It's here guys! Once again thank you to everyone who have advised me on my purchase!

Oh, wow, this was fast! And you ordered it with Ultegra as I see - good decision!

Which wheels are these? Did you just buy/order it like this or build yourself? Whats the weight?

This is the TCR Advanced Pro 1, already pre-specced with the following:

Full Ultegra Groupset
Giant SLR 1 Carbon Clincher Wheels 30mm
Giant Gavia SL Tubeless 25mm Tyres
The other parts are Giant-Branded

As for weight w/ 2x bottle cages, 105 pedals(285gms) & cateye padrone mount w/ device: 7.5KG Size M

Was expecting a lighter weight tbh :P

kidrob

by kidrob

frozzberg wrote:
kidrob wrote:

Full Ultegra Groupset

As for weight w/ 2x bottle cages, 105 pedals(285gms) & cateye padrone mount w/ device: 7.5KG Size M

Ah well, thats not too bad for a stock bike incl. all the extras I guess! I mean, you asked for a good starting bike/frame with "opportunity of upgrades over the next few years" so there you got it ;)

frozzberg

by frozzberg

kidrob wrote:
frozzberg wrote:
kidrob wrote:

Full Ultegra Groupset

Ah well, thats not too bad for a stock bike incl. all the extras I guess! I mean, you asked for a good starting bike/frame with "opportunity of upgrades over the next few years" so there you got it ;)

I certainly did! Gonna take it out for my group ride tomorrow morning #stoked

shineplus

by shineplus

I finished my troubles and bought the product.
congratulations!
Securely take a long ride

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com