Campagnolo Post Mount Disc Work Around

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morrisond

by morrisond

I'm going to try the Hope RX4 Campy combo - parts are on there way.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dogrange

by dogrange

morrisond wrote:I'm going to try the Hope RX4 Campy combo - parts are on there way.

Is this a kit they are offering specifically for Campy, or are you just going to use the Shimano (mineral oil) kit and try to make that work?

svendsvin

by svendsvin

morrisond wrote:I'm going to try the Hope RX4 Campy combo - parts are on there way.

If you end up with a spare Campagnolo flatmount caliper Id be happy to buy it from you...

morrisond

by morrisond

I'm just going to use the Shimano Calipers. They should work fine - hopefully.

I'm going to keep my calipers as I undoubtedly will switch the frame at some point to a flat mount frame.

Thanks for the offer though.

titaniumconfidential

by titaniumconfidential

Has anybody tried to install a 140mm rear caliper as front caliper?
I am looking for 140mm F/R so I was thinking of swapping the front 160 front caliper for a rear 140mm..

titaniumconfidential

by titaniumconfidential

titaniumconfidential wrote:Has anybody tried to install a 140mm rear caliper as front caliper?
I am looking for 140mm F/R so I was thinking of swapping the front 160 front caliper for a rear 140mm..

Anyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disc0

by Disc0

Are you thinking of Campy H11 calipers?

I installed a set this weekend, and the front and rear had very different spacing between the mount holes.

Wouldn't that would prevent using a front caliper in the rear or vice versa. . . ?

titaniumconfidential

by titaniumconfidential

Disc0 wrote:Are you thinking of Campy H11 calipers?

I installed a set this weekend, and the front and rear had very different spacing between the mount holes.

Wouldn't that would prevent using a front caliper in the rear or vice versa. . . ?

Yes.. cause the front is design to be attached to the fork w/o the standard adapter.
But I am thinking the rear caliper can be used in the front with standard adapter. Before pulling the trigger I wanted to check if anybody tried it already. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

titaniumconfidential wrote:
Disc0 wrote:Are you thinking of Campy H11 calipers?

Yes.. cause the front is design to be attached to the fork w/o the standard adapter.
But I am thinking the rear caliper can be used in the front with standard adapter. Before pulling the trigger I wanted to check if anybody tried it already. Thank you

Assuming Campy hasn't strayed far from the flat mount standard, I can't see how this wouldn't work using the Campagnolo 140mm rear caliper with a front adapter from Shimano/TRP installed in the 140mm position. Unless they've done something truly wacky to prevent it, the Campagnolo 140mm rear caliper should be functionally identical to everyone else's flat mount calipers.

Juerg

by Juerg

[quote="morrisond"][quote="Francois_Viviers"]Have nearly all the parts to do this. Only part missing that I did not get with Magura MT8 spare calipers was the hydro connection bolt. Should have a 2 of these by the weekend.

Hello
Where can I buy the hydro connection bolts for the Magura MT8? Thank you for information.

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Check here

any bolts that are MT next. the padd retention bolts are nice, not much weight saving but a good black anodize or any other colour

https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/search?keyword=mt

this here specifically is the MT next hydro connection bolt, it is very specific and not the same as the old MT8 bolt

https://www.bikeonlineshop.net/cyclepow ... patch-bolt

there is also a seller on ebay that sells black titanium Magura banjos

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGURA-Brake- ... 2749.l2649

These are pretty special, but I had to wait to get hold of them, so not put them on the bike yet as I will have to install and bleed the whole system which is not an insignificant task.

Juerg

by Juerg

Thank you. I will try it.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Hopes caliper is not far away according to hope.

geodandrew

by geodandrew

:roll: So I can tell you this is no small task. Making the Campy H11 levers and Magura M2, or M4/M6 calipers work will cost you time and $$$. I've spent a least $300 wholesale buying stuff to make it work and I'm still not done. I work PT at a high end bike shop. I have the ability to order parts, and get expert help from my friends who work at the shop. They work on hydraulic brakes a lot, and I don't do repairs anymore so the guys at the shop are helping me. Banjo fitting are on the levers and you need banjo fittings at the caliper to use the M4/M6 calipers. Well this is not so simple as the you know because this is not how these things work. Banjo on one end means NO banjo on the other. Adding a barb fitting does not work either as the hydro cable doesn't expand. The Campy hydro cables are thin. I'll add more when I finally get it working properly. :roll:

rlporter5

by rlporter5

geodandrew wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:38 pm
:roll: So I can tell you this is no small task. Making the Campy H11 levers and Magura M2, or M4/M6 calipers work will cost you time and $$$. I've spent a least $300 wholesale buying stuff to make it work and I'm still not done. I work PT at a high end bike shop. I have the ability to order parts, and get expert help from my friends who work at the shop. They work on hydraulic brakes a lot, and I don't do repairs anymore so the guys at the shop are helping me. Banjo fitting are on the levers and you need banjo fittings at the caliper to use the M4/M6 calipers. Well this is not so simple as the you know because this is not how these things work. Banjo on one end means NO banjo on the other. Adding a barb fitting does not work either as the hydro cable doesn't expand. The Campy hydro cables are thin. I'll add more when I finally get it working properly. :roll:
I actually found this to be pretty easy. I had a frame that I bought, a Titanium Seven, with post mount in the rear triangle, so not easy to change. The Enve fork was under recall, so I swapped it for a flat mount fork. I did a lot of research and came up with the same solution many here have suggested - use a Magura MT8 caliper with the Campy H11 system. Long story short, that's what I did. I'm running the H11 EPS system, Campy front caliper, Magura rear caliper - all is good. Lever feel is the same, modulation is the same, stock pads front and rear.

The key is to get a Magura compatible banjo fitting with a barb on it that uses an olive for compression, and a compression nut. Use the stock Magura mounting bolt. I cut the Campy brake line to the right length, slid the nut and olive over the tubing, pushed the barb ended banjo bolt in, tightened the nut on the banjo, fitted the two o-rings into the banjo, and then fitted the banjo to the caliper. Bled the system with a magura bleeder syringe on the Magura end, and the Campy bleeder on the lever end. Straightforward. No leads. No fade. I'm not an expert on Magura products - I don't use them on my mountain bikes - but I am told that the Magura calipers are similar or identical from the 2 to 8 series. I've only run this for a few weeks, so I don't have any long term results.

I bought my MT8 used on eBay for $40. I have $10 in fittings. I'm keeping my Campy H11 rear caliper for a future build. So, it's a cheap and easy solution in the end.

I don't warranty any of this information, I'm not a bike shop, just an engineer who has been tinkering with bikes and Ducatis for 40 years...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com