BB cable guide bolt problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

Came to undo the cable guide bolt and it just turns. The part that it screws into inside the frame turns with it. Unlike some frames Ive seen, the bolt does not appear inside the BB as that is an aluminum sleeve. So the cable guide is just rattling around loose. Does it need to be tight or will the cables hold it down enough under tension? Is there any fix for this or is the frame now trash? Its a 2009 Cervelo R3-SL.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BRM

by BRM

Is there a need to remove the cable guide or will it be ok when you simply can fasten it?
In that case try to stick something under the head of the bolt to set tension on the inner nut, maybe you can tighten again this way.

Other option:
Probably the BB sleeve is removable?

fitty4

by fitty4

I have a cervelo r3 now collecting dust in the attic, the cable guide and bolt is now no more, I can't remember what happened exactly other than i thought it was a really bad design.

I think another solution could be: inside the bottom bracket, use a nut, washer, maybe something with a curve like the ones front derailleur mount, or a 3d printed small plate, a used tube or some rubber against the frame and then a bolt for the nut

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Time for an electronic upgrade ;)
Official cafe stop tester