Water collecting in Bontrager Aura 5 wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevina6

by kevina6

Hi, I have a new madone withe bonty aura 5 wheels. Problem is when ever I ride in moderate rain or wash the bike the wheels collect water. There are drain holes in the carbon fairings but they do not drain the water out fully. I can still hear the water sloshing around inside the rim...

It's like the water is getting trapped inside and can't make it to the drain holes.

Has any one else had a similar experience with these or similar wheels?

Kevin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I once remove a tubular from a Bora wheel since I had some sloshing around in there. But that was after riding through a flooded road with water up to the bottom bracket. But rainstorms, or washing the bike, etc., have never caused that...
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kevina6

by kevina6

Lots of water in that pic[emoji51]. Trek support have suggested that I remove tyre, tube and rim tape to let water out through spoke holes but that a chore to do after every wet ride or bike wash. Plus I was thinking of going tubeless so that won't be an option if I do...

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, I agree: that's not much of a solution. Those wheels are heavy, and water won't help! You might want to try getting a can of compressed air, and hitting the spoke holes to force the water out (point the weep hole down, and hit the corresponding spoke hole with water, to try to force the water out). One thing, I would immediately stop washing the bike with the wheels on. Take them off and clean them separately. You'll need a dummy hub to keep tension on the chain, so you can clean it.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Maybe they have been misnamed......... was meant to "Aqua" 5's. Sorry couldn't help myself, yep a "dad joke" :oops:

SM
BB

Coffee & carbon

kevina6

by kevina6

Aqua would be more apt [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. I usually take them off when cleaning. Good idea on the compressed air. I'll try that[emoji106]

sungod

by sungod

isn't it just a carbon fairing, not structural?

i have some mavics that do the same

if it is only the fairing where water is pooling, simplest may be to add an extra/better drain hole, as well as water there will be mud/dirt building up over time as well, with good drainage you rinse them out before it dries

if the water is getting into a channel in the rim itself, it's probably through the valve hole, getting it out is much harder, might be worth taking off tyre etc. and see if there's any way you can fit a bit of soft silicone tubing in the valve hole to create a seal around the stem

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Yes, even though it's a hassle, go ahead and pull the tire and rim strip off this time, just to verify where the water is, and why it isn't getting out the current drain holes. Remember, with a double wall aluminum rim, plus a carbon fairing, there are now 2 cavities in the cross section, either or both of which could be the culprit. I would suspect that the water is being retained in the aluminum part, as it is sealed on one side by the rim tape, and somewhat contained on the other side by both the spoke bed and the fairing. To get the maximum amount out in the current drain hole configuration, and without disassembly, you would probably want to rotate the wheel so that the drain hole is down, and then lean it on its side at around a 45-degree angle, because that side lean will help the water to exit a spoke hole in the aluminum rim, thereby getting it into the carbon contained cavity, and then out the carbon drain hole, which will now be the lowest point. Even with that careful arrangement, that won't get it all, unfortunately.

While looking for a cross sectional drawing, I found the Slowtwitch review of these wheels, where someone made the following comment "These wheels perform very well, however my experience is that if you ride in rain they fill with water and do not drain properly. You will need to remove the tire and tube to get the water to drain from a channel in the aluminum section of the wheel. Even to get water out of the carbon section, you will need to remove the wheel from the bike and hold horizontally so that it drains from the single hole on either side." so it appears you are not alone.

kevina6

by kevina6

Yes it seems a common problem. Have left it overnight with wheels at a angle and still water inside. The only way I was able to remove most of the water was the wheel offand shake it vigourously for about 20 minutes that way most of the water came out drip at a time. Seems like a bit of a design flaw...

hack

by hack

Does this happen on HED Jets as well? I've got a set of Aura 5's that have never been used and I had planned to use them as a wet weather wheel (alloy brake track), but may reconsider based on the water infiltration issue. Have heard this happens on the 3T Accelero 40 Team wheels, too.

kevina6

by kevina6

hack wrote:Does this happen on HED Jets as well? I've got a set of Aura 5's that have never been used and I had planned to use them as a wet weather wheel (alloy brake track), but may reconsider based on the water infiltration issue. Have heard this happens on the 3T Accelero 40 Team wheels, too.

That's the main reason I went with them. Road conditions where I ride in Ireland are often grimy/wet so I was reluctant to go with full carbon wheels. I've read similar issues with the mavic cosmics

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

Reynolds Aero seem to do this as well. Unforgivable at that price point. My Edco Aerosports seem to be fine.
Ride it like you stole it