3T Ionic 0 LTD Seat Post Diff Lock Break

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lw11

by lw11

Went for a ride on the weekend and went from the pathway onto the road (off a small curb), heard a creak and my saddle was loose. When I got home I took a closer look to see what happened and one of the bolt heads broke on the right hand side and the thread on the left side was stripped. The front tabs where the saddle rails sit were bent down a fair bit. The seat post is fine. I only weigh ~63 kg.

Has anyone else had this problem? Will this be covered by warranty? (Bought in December 2016)

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Have you contacted 3T yet? In cases like these I would want to inform the producer of the components before I would post it on the internet.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lw11

by lw11

Yes, I've sent them an e-mail with photos and proof of purchase and am yet to get a response.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed the quote.

sungod

by sungod

did you buy it via the 3t online store? if not, normally warranty is handled by the retailer and back through distribution, might be faster to go that route

lw11

by lw11

I'll go to the retailer.

Mods - is there any way I can lock/close the thread? I'll wait until I get a response from either 3T or the retailer.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted the quote

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

You can't lock a thread, but we can. Please let us know when we should re open it.
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

You can't lock a thread, but we can. Please let us know when we should re open it.

lw11

by lw11

OK, so after a couple of weeks speaking with the retailer, they rejected this warranty claim and when I asked for an explanation, they replied with "based on the photos, we don't believe this to be a genuine warranty." Instead of trying to drag it out, I contacted the distributor for 3T in Australia and got a product code for the replacement part. I ordered this through my local bike shop (different to original retailer) last Friday and I got the message that the part arrived at the store today. The distributor sent the wrong part and now I won't be riding this weekend. A holiday was planned 12 months ago with the family and I won't have a chance to ride with the children so I'm pretty peeved about that.

So after having a less than satisfactory time with the original retailer and then the distributor stuffing up the replacement part order, i'm looking for recommendations for new finishing kit (o'll be getting rid of my 3T stem and bars). Can't be Zipp because the distributor is also the distributor for Zipp/Quarq/SRAM.

I want carbon and have been looking at ENVE and Deda, although i'm open to recommendations.

ms6073

by ms6073

That is curious to see the inner cam brake like that. I have that posts predecessor, 3T Palladio, installed on cross bikes which saw 2-full seasons of heavy racing and never had an issue, although I think the design is slightly different for the cams on the older post.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

superdx

by superdx

Interesting, the DiffLock has been pretty good to me. I used to use two bolt seatposts like Fizik / Cannondale / FSA and they all slipped.

Maybe the screw on that side came loose and you didn't know? I had that happen once, luckily it was making enough of a racket that I stopped and tightened it up.

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I've been on that exact seatpost for 1.5 years with zero issues. Weird how only one(?) side of your clamp is bent? Seems the saddle rails wouldn't allow that to happen.

lw11

by lw11

kkibbler wrote:I've been on that exact seatpost for 1.5 years with zero issues. Weird how only one(?) side of your clamp is bent? Seems the saddle rails wouldn't allow that to happen.

It's actually both sides.

I really like the seatpost. It's a shame the retailer/distributor didn't want to inspect it further.

Left side of seat post:

kkibbler

by kkibbler

That tells me the bolts, as in both bolts, have been loose or broken for some time and the black alloy caps were turning freely.

lw11

by lw11

That's interesting because I didn't feel the saddle was loose and didn't hear any rattling of the caps or bolts. Maybe I should be getting the bike builder to organise a replacement. It was only built in December last year. In saying that though, I went to the Tour Down Under this year and when I found a few bolts on the stem and handlebars under torqued a fair bit.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Can't you just chuck on a cheap post to get you riding?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com