Cervelo S5 replacement

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brycerider

by brycerider

I currently have a 2014 S5 VWD running SRAM Red 10 on some Enve 45s. Thinking about a replacement for it and wanting some input. I now live in a hilly rural area where the road surfaces can get pretty rough - riding is 95% on chip seal. My second bike is a S Works Tarmac SL3 and I have found myself wanting to ride it more than the S5 of late - thanks to being able to run 25mm rubber and a more forgiving rear triangle compared to the S5. I find the S5 to be a bit squirmy in the front end when giving it stick out of the saddle and pretty unrelenting in transmitting road buzz from the rear up my back.

I do the odd road race at Cat B level and my local rides are 60-100k in length and usually > 1,000m of vertical.

I am not tied to the idea of an aero bike and rate ride quality and handling ahead saving a couple of watts.

Current contenders for replacing the S5 are the Canyon Ultimate SLX (or maybe the Aero if the ride is smooth), Focus Izalco Max or Tarmac SL5 (or whatever the current frameset is). I did look at the Basso Diamante SV (I think it looks great) but they are hard to find locally and priced around the same mark as Pinarello F8 framesets. Prior to the SL3 I had a Cannondale Super Six which was a great crit bike but unless the frame layups have changed likely to be on the harsh side on country roads.

I am going to run Dura Ace mechanical and get a set of 45mm+ carbon hoops for go fast days. Welcome some input on any of those I am looking at compared to the S5 - particularly if you have owned an S5
N+1 It Never Stops

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nvroadie

by nvroadie

I went from the same S5 that you have to a Cannondale SuperSix Evo 2015. Much more comfortable but has more bb stiffness. No regrets!

RyanH

by RyanH

A Cervelo R5 (or R3) should be a lot more comfortable than both of your bikes. I found the Tarmac to be on the harsh side, but then again my reference points have been Ti and carbon bikes known for compliance. If the size works for you, a Scott Foil rides exceedingly well on chipseal and chainstay clearance was massive. I had gobs of clearance with 28mm (actual) tubulars.

From what I've read, the Izalco Max is probably not what you're looking for as it's supposedly on the very harsh side. Granted, the tight seat post and 28mm rubber can alter that significantly.

wingguy

by wingguy

brycerider wrote:Prior to the SL3 I had a Cannondale Super Six which was a great crit bike but unless the frame layups have changed likely to be on the harsh side on country roads.

The Supersix was replaced by the Supersix Evo which was waaaaay more comfortable than the Supersix, and has in turn been replaced by the new Evo which is smoother riding again. It's a fantastic bike for riding around the country lanes down here in the westcountry. It's definitely significantly better in that respect than your old gen S5, and it'd be noticeably stiffer in the HT for cornering as well.

Otherwise if you like the other aspects of the S5 aside from the harsh ride the R5 would be much smoother riding too.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

I've been happy with Scott Foil. Quite nice ride, comfortable. Previously I have had Focus Izalco Max and Giant Propel and I rate Foil higher.
Cannondale SuperSix
Shimano 9270

Shrike

by Shrike

I ride on bad roads too. Utterly ridiculous actually, no clue where our taxes go. It's like an assault course. Dream about moving somewhere with a patch of smooth tarmac.

Anyway, I've got the newer S5 and run 25's on it. Really comfortable actually. Just as good as my endurance bike, Infinito CV. Running around 90psi front, 95psi back. Hoping to go a bit lower though, dieting at the moment :P

Going to try 28s on the Infinito when I rebuild it. Must be like riding on pillows :shock:

Wondering if it's the carbon rims, stem and bars that are helping too come to think of it. Never really bought into that whole carbon deflection thing, but it is surprising how comfortable the S5 is in its current kit.

Definitely mostly about the PSI though. I had some horrible rides on the Infinito CV when I had 25's on but with 100PSI. Was getting beat up something shocking.

hambini

by hambini

I ride on rubbish roads with the same bike that you have. I have found that the wheels make quite a big difference to the comfort. When I had carbon rims it was horrendous. I then switched over to dura ace 9000 C35 which are a carbon composite aluminium laminate and the ride was much better.

Be warned even the later model S5 which can take 25mm rubber won't take high 25mm rubber on certain rims, it rubs

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Stueys

by Stueys

I run an R5, which is a beautiful bike, the new one would be tempting when it lands in a couple of months. I'd agree with the posters above that wheels make far and away the biggest difference to comfort, so if the only issue with the s5 is that it might be worth playing with wheel options first.

I run a set of enve 4.5 on 25cc, which are reasonably comfortable. my c24's on 23's make a marked improvement in comfort from there.

springs

by springs

Shrike wrote:Anyway, I've got the newer S5 and run 25's on it. Really comfortable actually. Just as good as my endurance bike, Infinito CV. .

Wow, S5 as comfy as Infinito CV. They must have worked some magic on the new S5!

grumpus

by grumpus

I think the real magic is in 25mm+ tires. Hardly a secret at this point, but clearance for 28s will be at the top of my list for next-bike features.

brycerider

by brycerider

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. My S5 won't take 25mm rubber unfortunately. I can get a good deal on a Cannondale and a test ride so I will take a look. Be keen to hear what people think of the Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 in the context of rough country roads.
N+1 It Never Stops

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Just move to Majorca, ride on super smooth roads and save yourself 5 grand on a new bike....simples!

Shrike

by Shrike

Cycling Maven said recently he preferred his Aeroad over the Ultimate as the Ultimate was a bit harsh. Think Canyon basically gave him both bikes from what I can gather.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

Is there anywhere in Aus that doesn't have shit roads?.. Where you located?

I have an S3 which I don't mind, probably not as harsh as the S5 but equally as capable when it comes to racing / flatter roads I am running 25mm rubber front and rear with decent clearance. It really seems to be a jack of all trades bike, yet isn't really a master of anything. I also have a BH Ultralight which is a fantastic which is a good mix of compliant, and stomp on the pedals and she goes; a great climbing bike with clearance for 27mm tubs. :smartass:

Of the two I probably prefer the BH Ultralight; it just seems to suit my position better (Saddle slammed over the BB) and the ride quality is a little less dead feeling (its a snappier bike). If anything I am wishing I got the S5 and convinced the wife I should keep the BH as well.

:beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

brycerider

by brycerider

I an in West Gippsland. There is lots of hills and roads are all chip deal with plenty of bumps,
N+1 It Never Stops