Colnago C60 Sizing Guide for short leg

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bryrene

by bryrene

Hi guys!,

I am new in this forum and I am in need to your expertise. I am planning to get a Colnago C60 however I am stuck with the geometry size of it.
I'm 173cm with inseam 79cm. The sales rep told me to get a size 45s for me? I am wondering will it be too small for me?

I am in dilemma to choose size 45s or 48s. My current bike is Polygon Strattos S7 Size:50 with Stack 522 & Reach 385. with 3 spacer below the stem.
Here is the link to the geometry: http://www.polygonbikes.com/ww/bikes/de ... 7#geometry

Thank you in advance!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

How long is the stem that you currently use.
The spacers under the stem? Is that 3 cm?
What about saddle height?

Based strictly on stack and reach numbers the 48s seems best. Reach is almost the same and the higher stack would help you get rid of some spacers under the stem. Of course this recommendation has limited value in the absence of information about exactly how your current bike is set up.

You can get some very good advice from the Colnago guys here but it would be best if we could see a photo of your current bike.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Do they even make a 45S?

JKolmo

by JKolmo

I'm 171cm 82 cm inseam. In sloping Colnago I run 48s with plenty seatpost showing. I actually have one 50s too. Wouldn't even consider 45s.

TonyM

by TonyM

171 cm and 79 cm inseam. C60 sloping in 48S and stem 12cm. Works perfectly for me :thumbup:

bryrene

by bryrene

Mr.Gib wrote:How long is the stem that you currently use.

Based strictly on stack and reach numbers the 48s seems best. Reach is almost the same and the higher stack would help you get rid of some spacers under the stem. Of course this recommendation has limited value in the absence of information about exactly how your current bike is set up.

You can get some very good advice from the Colnago guys here but it would be best if we could see a photo of your current bike.

Hi Mr.Gib

My Saddle height is 688mm and spacer height is 30mm and stem 90mm.

The Stem needed to be change between 100mm to 110mm

So do you think 48s still offer better position for me?

Thanks for giving a good advise. In my country I hardly find good bike fit sales rep. Normally they would just sell whatever left in their store.

3Pio

by 3Pio

bryrene wrote:

Hi Mr.Gib

Thanks for giving a good advise. In my country I hardly find good bike fit sales rep. Normally they would just sell whatever left in their store.

Im 175cm, 82 cm inseam and im riding C60 50S using Big Cone Spacer, having 12mm of spacers (i'll go for 10 or 8 this days), and using 110mm stem (-7 deg). My saddle setback is 52mm, and seatpost length 72.7 cm

30mm spacers are some higher limit without compromising stiffness of front end, so look like even the frame u ride in this moment is a bit on small side. The reason for this could be they sold u what they have on stock, or maybe u need very short reach or less setback, so compromise is big stack of spacers to have proper reach/setback.

The main difference between 45S and 48S are in reach (u'll need a bit shorter handlebar/stem on 48S, and seatpost with less setback compared to 45S).

I did not understund the length of stem u are using now. Is it 90mm, 100 or 110mm? And what is the reach of the handlebars u use now? Also tell me the setback u have on bike u ride now (including the exact seatpost seatback) and i can compare geometry on 45S, 48S and 50S to the bike u have now so u can choose what suit u best.

If u go 45S compared to ur frame:

- Ull have 28mm spacers under the stem

- Ull need about 5 mm longer reach

- U'll need about 6 mm shorter setback

If u go 48S:

- U'll have 24mm spacers under the stem (which is better then previous case)

- Ull need about the same reach compared to ur frame (maybe 2-3 mm less)

- U'll have the same setback to the frame u have now

This size is very comparable to the size u ride now, even better becase of less spacers under the stem, and if u ride a lot maybe u;ll improve ur flexibility so after some time ull need even less spacers.

If u go 50S:

- U'll have only 5 mm of spacers

- U'll need about 5mm of reach less

- U'll need about 5 mm less setback compared to what u ride now.

I'll give u my final opinion when i know u'r correct stem length and setback u use now, but i'll choose the size which will put saddle in the center to have the setback i need , will have not more then 20mm of spacers (or less), and will put me on 100 or 110 mm stem (better 110)

Probably that will be 48S

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Bottom line IMO is that the 45s is too small.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

bryrene

by bryrene

3Pio wrote:
bryrene wrote:

Hi Mr.Gib

Im 175cm, 82 cm inseam and im riding C60 50S using Big Cone Spacer, having 12mm of spacers (i'll go for 10 or 8 this days), and using 110mm stem (-7 deg). My saddle setback is 52mm, and seatpost length 72.7 cm

30mm spacers are some higher limit without compromising stiffness of front end, so look like even the frame u ride in this moment is a bit on small side. The reason for this could be they sold u what they have on stock, or maybe u need very short reach or less setback, so compromise is big stack of spacers to have proper reach/setback.

The main difference between 45S and 48S are in reach (u'll need a bit shorter handlebar/stem on 48S, and seatpost with less setback compared to 45S).

I did not understund the length of stem u are using now. Is it 90mm, 100 or 110mm? And what is the reach of the handlebars u use now? Also tell me the setback u have on bike u ride now (including the exact seatpost seatback) and i can compare geometry on 45S, 48S and 50S to the bike u have now so u can choose what suit u best.

If u go 48S:

This size is very comparable to the size u ride now, even better becase of less spacers under the stem, and if u ride a lot maybe u;ll improve ur flexibility so after some time ull need even less spacers.

If u go 50S:

I'll give u my final opinion when i know u'r correct stem length and setback u use now, but i'll choose the size which will put saddle in the center to have the setback i need , will have not more then 20mm of spacers (or less), and will put me on 100 or 110 mm stem (better 110)

My current bike Polygon Strattos is actually not fitted on me, the stem it came was 90mm whereby advised from my friend that I do need at least between 100mm to 110mm

I will provide the setback later when I reach home.

I'm quite nervous now that you mention with my current bike (Polygon) probably on the small side. I actually been hearing mix comment on the current bike i have now. Some says it's too small, some says it's too large. so where do we begin from here? Totaly confused

Thanks for your thorough input!

bryrene

by bryrene

3Pio wrote:
bryrene wrote:

Hi Mr.Gib

If u go 48S:

If u go 50S:

My current bike Polygon Strattos is actually not fitted on me, the stem it came was 90mm whereby advised from my friend that I do need at least between 100mm to 110mm

I will provide the setback later when I reach home.

I'm quite nervous now that you mention with my current bike (Polygon) probably on the small side. I actually been hearing mix comment on the current bike i have now. Some says it's too small, some says it's too large. so where do we begin from here? Totaly confused

Thanks for your thorough input!

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I'm not tall just about 5'5 and my legs are not particularly long. I'm on a 45 cm sloping C-59 and it works just fine.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

I'm 5'6 on a good day and the C60 45s is the best fitting bike i've ever owned. 120mm stem.

chazmtb

by chazmtb

Op. I have the same measurement as you. I have a 48s. Saddle height is 70cm. Stem Stack is a little high and can go lower. Stem is 110.

Look565w

by Look565w

Bryrene,

I'm 170cm short but can't recall what my inseam is, however, my BB to top of saddle is 705mm.
I have a C60 in Traditional 53cm, an Extreme Power in Traditional 54cm.

Both fits me just fine, I'm OK flexible, but no big massive saddle to bar drop on my set-ups.

If I was to go sloping, I would get the 50s myself!

I echo a lot of guys above, the 48s would be fine for you ................ hell I'll even say the 50s would be good too, taller head-tube which means less (or no) spacers under the stem for the "slam" look :-)
If you rock a big saddle to bar drop, then the 48s would work better!

I have sent you a PM!

Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Bryrene - that photo says it all. If your measurements are the same as Chazmtb than IMO the 48s is your best size. That bike setup looks very balanced.

OTOH, if you has some strange fit issue that we're not getting (your info keeps evolving :? ) than perhaps you do need the 45s. Certainly you could make it work but from the info provided the 48s seems the best bet.