Tubular suggestion

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Luca79

by Luca79

Can you name a few low-weight high quality tubulars with an acceptable puncture resistance?

I'm not too concerned about the durability, or price, I'm just looking for the lowest weight without too much risk of flat tires.

I know this is a difficult compromise to achieve, but maybe there is something out there that is better than the rest.

I was thinking Veloflex Extreme or Tufo Elite S3 225.

Thanks!

Pokerface07

by Pokerface07

What for? General riding? Racing? TT's? etc...
Twitter: @FormerTTchamp https://twitter.com/FormerTTchamp

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

Get the veloflex

em3

by em3

Vitt Pave...light enuf, supple, amazing grip and long lasting, U can still find some at bike-discount.de & probikekit.com

MJB

by MJB

Vittoria CG Pave are a little on the heavy side, however, they are reliable for punctures and roll very well.

I'm riding on my 3rd pair of Vittoria Pave at very low pressures on rural roads and they are yet to come to any harm - also have tried for a while or still ride FMB PR and CX Comp, Schwalbe HT and Vittoria SC and CX tubulars, the Pave compare well to all of these considering they are Vittoria's heavy duty offerings.

addictR1

by addictR1

Plus 1 on the Veloflex. Got the sprinter version and loved it! I have 3 x veloflex carbon haven't used

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jopie666

by Jopie666

Never used them but I would go for the Veloflex Arenberg or Roubaix. Keep hearing excellent things about em.

saeie1

by saeie1

I'm using the CONTINENTAL COMPETITION 25C, and the tires have good grip and light weight.

sungod

by sungod

Luca79 wrote:Can you name a few low-weight high quality tubulars with an acceptable puncture resistance?

I'm not too concerned about the durability, or price, I'm just looking for the lowest weight without too much risk of flat tires.

I know this is a difficult compromise to achieve, but maybe there is something out there that is better than the rest.

I was thinking Veloflex Extreme or Tufo Elite S3 225.

Thanks!

puncture resistance depends on conditions, if the roads are wet and you'll be in urban areas where there can be tiny bits of broken glass or where sharp flints get washed/blown onto the road from verges/fields, then the water helps sharp stuff tyres cut very easily, no lightweight tyre protects against that, it is just luck whether you get a puncture or not

if roads are reasonable and you'll have dry riding it is completely different, then for really light you could consider veloflex record (c. 190g), but there's not much rubber to stop sharp bits

the extreme is only c.20g lighter than carbon, i'd go for the carbons just for a bit more durability (i live in london)

if roads are not clean and you'll have wet rides, i'd go for carbon/arenberg front/rear, they'll still cut but the extra rubber gives a bit more protection

fwiw...
i've tried vittoria corsa g+, lovely ride but cut very easily in the wet, i'll never buy again unless i move to a dry country!
conti comps ride like hosepipe, wet grip is good but they cut about as easily as carbons, i was surprised at that
i've got a tufo <160g as a spare, ride is nothing special, they are great as a spare but wouldn't use day to day

phollingswo

by phollingswo

+1 for Veloflex Arenberg/Roubaix.

Raced and trained (unless awful weather) all season with only one puncture. They're fantastic. Just look after them - e.g. brush them lightly and pick out any bits of glass/flint every now and again, make sure to not ride over glass etc.

Mep

by Mep

I currently ride with the Veloflex Extreme and Carbon and can fully vouch for them. Weights are accurate and have not had a puncture on halfway decent roads.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

I've already tryed the Tufo elite, they weight a bit more then advertised, one came at around 255g.
They managed to go through quite a bit of km, but now I'm riding veloflex Carbon and they're soooo much better, would only switch, and will switch to arenberg once these are done.

Wookski

by Wookski

Arenbergs are awesome- have them on my travel/ wet weather bike and they are very durable

Steve_W

by Steve_W

Arenbergs here....I'm amazed how durable they are, plenty of hills, rough roads....I'm unable to see any wear to the rear after 500 mile. My conti comps would be nearly see through now.

Steve

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Can't believe you're all openly talking about p*nctures... :shock:

All the tubs I've tried have been fine, even on glass-strewn Sydney roads. Carry a bottle of Stan's and a valve spanner, then it doesn't matter anyway.