Campagnolo EPS V2 Battery Repair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Diverse

by Diverse

Hi. Maybe someone here have any experience with replacing power cell in PU14-REEPS for new one?
My battery taking no charge after being discharged for some time. I have disassembled it and found that all 3 Panasonic NCR14400 batteries are completly dead. And I need to replace them. But have been unable to find same batteries for selling anywhere.
Maybe someone can suggest any other batteries to replace my?

P.S. Is there is a chance to use NCR18650 batteries here with standart electronics?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ferrarista

by ferrarista

As long as you keep the same voltage it should not matter. I doubt the 18650 fit inside the stock casing as they are bigger. 18.5mm x 63.5mm. The NCR 14400 are 14.4mm x 40mm. They are also lighter compared to 18650. 16gr. vs 46gr. The 18650 does have much bigger capacity. . Your battery will last much longer, but will be much heavier. You will have to use them without the stock casing.

http://www.batteryspace.com/aaaaaseriesli-ioncells.aspx

You could use the 14430 instead 17gr. Or maybe the 14500 28gr.
Last edited by ferrarista on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
██

Diverse

by Diverse

The main problem that campagnolo stock case is very tight. Most of the space is taken by PCB. And there is not enough space inside it event to put 14430 batteries, because 3 of them will be 9mm larger in overall the stock 14400. The only way to put inside stock case, is to remove protection board from battery pack.

Maybe someone can suggest the way, to make new casing?

As far as I'm understand from this Campa doc (https://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/ ... _09_15.pdf), system operates using 10.8 voltage, so I need to install 3x 3,7 volts battery (14400, 14500 or 18650) in any case?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

You don't really need to use the stock casing really. The battery goes inside the frame so it is protected from the elements. You could use some battery shrink wrap to hold the cells in cylindrical shape just like the stock battery. It will be lighter than the stock casing. To prevent damage, use some foam around the battery when you install it so that it doesn't move.

Yes three cells at 3.6-3.7v will match the stock voltage.
██

UBRUBR

by UBRUBR

Hi, I am revisiting an old topic because I am in a similar position. The Chorus V2 battery has completed its cycle. Replacing the battery seems like a simple and inexpensive solution. Has anyone succeeded?

@Diverse?