Anyone tried Look Keo Easy pedals?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

garyh

by garyh

I am currently using Keo Classics but want something lighter. I want to stay with Keos, so please don't suggest that I use another make. Looking at the various options the Keo Easy model gives me the best weight loss/cost ratio. I have never adjusted the spring tension on my Classics, so the loss of adjustability won't cause me problems unless they are too light as standard.

Is anyone using the Easy model? How do you find them?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

just go with the carbon Ti or HM Ti....Besides why would you want to downgrade? If you ever need to increase your tension, something that you will if you ever decide to get stronger then you are screwed. Not to mention the price isn't that bad. Since you are doing dollar per gram, the Carbon Ti's are only 75cents per gram more...and weigh 2/3 what your current pedals weigh, not 12/13 what your current pedals weigh...

SDP

by SDP

mrs sdp has them on her winter bike

they are not a WW pedal...

go for the carbons or Ti HMs ...

keevohn

by keevohn

I haven't used the Easy's, but here's something you can try:

Adjust your Classics to the lightest tension setting and ride them for a few days. Be sure to mix in some hard stuff, like hill climbs and sprints. Wiggle your feet around as you pedal, be sloppy. Ride them with worn cleats if you can.

If you do all of that and don't accidentally unclip, the Keo Easy's should work. Look states that they come from the factory with the lightest tension setting, which I'm guessing means 8nm.

garyh

by garyh

Good idea kevohn, thanks. I'll give it a go.

Yes, the Carbon Ti will give me biggest weight saving but they will cost me 5x the Easy for just over 2x the weight saving. I realise this is WW but I have a wife, three children and a mortgage that seem to think they are more deserving than my addiction. :)

prodigy

by prodigy

I'm currently riding on Keo Easy's but only from the beginning of this year.
The spring tension looks to be ok for now, but I didn't do any sprints yet.
The only thing that is strange to me is the opening angle of them - you have to twist you foot quite far in order to unclip.

Before I was riding Look 206's so for me they are an improvement. :roll:

Szczuldo

by Szczuldo

garyh wrote:Good idea kevohn, thanks. I'll give it a go.

Yes, the Carbon Ti will give me biggest weight saving but they will cost me 5x the Easy for just over 2x the weight saving. I realise this is WW but I have a wife, three children and a mortgage that seem to think they are more deserving than my addiction. :)

your looking at all the wrong places pal, Carbon Ti costs just over 200 and children can wait, the wife on the other hand..have to keep that one happy to continue cycling :lol:

Gert Jan Theunisse

by Gert Jan Theunisse

I've been riding Keo Easys for the last 6 months and love 'em. I've been a Speedplay user for the longest time but was finding the massive amount of float to be a bother.
I hadn't used Looks in awhile but am thrilled to be back. The Easys were inexpensive and relatively light. Go for it!

LonesomeRider

by LonesomeRider

I threw a pair of Look Easy pedals on a Trek 5200 I got on ebay that came with clip pedals on it. I wanted a pair of fairly light pedals to avoid weighing down my new carbon bike, but also something fairly cheap, since I though I might be upgrading soon, depending on how the Looks felt. And they are, indeed pretty light while still pretty cheap. That said, I've had a mixed experience with them. They stay engaged well enough, and disengage reliably, though it's true you do have to swing your heel out pretty far to get loose.
But my main problem with them is that they're a bit tricky to click into, because they seem to easily spin away from my cleat, as if they're not weighted sufficiently at the back -- relative to the front, that is -- in order to remain front-up for reliable catching with the front of the cleat.
In stark contrast, I have a pair of Campy Centours on my old steel Peugeot (I can hear the Weight Weenie gasps).The Centours have a nice wide opening and are back-weighted, so they're always ready and easy to engage. But, of course, they weigh a ton compared to the Look Easies.
I fear there may simply be a trade-off between weight and stability/ease of engagement. But I'm also wondering if the Easies pedals are simply not that expertly engineered or balanced, and that, for example, higher quality pedals, i.e., Campy Record Titaniums, would be easier to click into with only a small sacrifice in weight (Officially, I think Records are 266 grams, v. 240 for Look Easies, meaning a difference of 13 grams per pedal)
I apologize for hijacking this discussion, but anyone care to weigh in on the lightness v. ease-of-engagement issue for pedals and whether there is, indeed, a trade off?

alcatraz

by alcatraz

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/3245991 ... l#autostay

I use these and they work fine. Good price to weight ratio at 235gr for 42usd. Comes with two sets of look cleats, 0 and 9 degree float.

No reliability issues after using them one season. Each pedal has three sealed bearings and it can be rebuilt. I'm going to try to upgrade mine with full ceramic bearing.

/a

DamonRinard
in the industry

by DamonRinard

I tried Look Keo Easy. Like you, I was attracted by the low weight and low cost. Sometimes you find a product with both!

The light spring tension was no problem for me, even at 175 pounds and some spirited efforts. I liked being able to disengage without twisting my knee too hard.

But, after some use, the spindle was noticeably stiff to turn in one pedal. Too much bearing friction. Then I got the idea (maybe from the website?) it has a bushing, not a ball bearing or roller bearing, like the higher end Keos. (Maybe that's the source of some of the cost- and weight savings?) So I returned the Easys for that reason, and spent the extra money for Carbon Ti.

Hope that helps.
Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager, Road Bikes
Cycling Sports Group, Cannondale
Ex-Kestrel, ex-Velomax, ex-Trek, ex-Cervelo

moonoi

by moonoi

Holy ancient thread resurrection Batman! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CLEAR

by CLEAR

That xpedo is a go (tried the xpedo NXS around 220gr I paid around 35usd shiped on ebay, also Thrust 8 which 170gr but 4x the price still cheaper than my Look Keo max2 Ti) . I've also tried Wellgo 251 (a bit heavier but nice pedals for cheap, like 20usd cheap...)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com