Keywin Pedal Questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Keywins don't disengage or engage like a pair of Looks...
You have to unthank your habits from other pedal systems.
There is more of an arc in releasing - up and out with the heel.
It took me some time to get used to the lack of noise and heel stroke needed, but it becomes second nature.

From the box, you can use a slim flat head screwdriver to release the cleats, wear gloves.

Any friction in the system will soon clear up, but the Keywin designs are super easy to adjust and service, so you can alleviate the friction you may be experiencing by cracking them open and adjusting the tension.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Talked to Keywin some more. The problem is the 8mm bolt behind the end caps is too loose. To fix, simply remove the end cap per keywin instructions and tighten the 8mm bolt until there is no slop left, making sure the pedal still rotates smoothly.

There is a fine line between too tight or loose, so take your time in finding the perfect tightness.

Fixed the slop problem for me. I still have problems with one of the end caps falling out too easy, even after ensuring proper installation. No biggie, I'll just order more or keep using tape...

Shmitt

by Shmitt

How Keywin pedals works for You after this period of time? still have problems with caps, what about engage and disengage system , still work hard?

DaReef

by DaReef

Darceking wrote:I remember DurianRider complained about this and was after the old gen pedals

:doh:

eyedrop

by eyedrop

Shmitt wrote:How Keywin pedals works for You after this period of time? still have problems with caps, what about engage and disengage system , still work hard?

They have been great after getting over the initial problems. A small peice of electrical tape keeps the caps from popping out. And ever since I got the spindle bolt tightened properly, it has worked perfectly ever since. 1k miles later and still no slop. Engaging and disengaging is becoming more second nature, however It would be nice to adjust disengagement. I still find it more difficult than I'd like. But it's still doable. Haven't had a tip over accident yet, but a couple close calls with quick emergency clipouts. On the upside, they feel super locked in and secure, which is great for sprints. I use the zero float caps, and the power transfer feels awesome.