Crank arm size

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WhyZ

by WhyZ

I am 172cm/59kg and my inseam is 80cm.
Which crank arm size is more then better?

Presently used 170 size campy record crankset.
But now I'll build new bike storck bike and at rhat time I would like to using crank arm size 165.
I heard that, short arm is better then candance.

Please let me know your opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I have an 82cm inseam and I reckon my optimal length is 167.5mm although currently on 170mm doing ok. (Not that old).

I would say 165-167.5mm is just right for you. Have a try. Obviously the ideal before buying is to try it out. Also worth mentioning is that it does have a small impact on your gearing. If you are depending on your largest cog when climbing you might need to change your cassette.

/a

WhyZ

by WhyZ

alcatraz wrote:I have an 82cm inseam and I reckon my optimal length is 167.5mm although currently on 170mm doing ok. (Not that old).

I would say 165-167.5mm is just right for you. Have a try. Obviously the ideal before buying is to try it out. Also worth mentioning is that it does have a small impact on your gearing. If you are depending on your largest cog when climbing you might need to change your cassette.

/a

Thank you dude,
I'll try change crank arm size.

BRM

by BRM

Comment 1
In general with your measurements for a road race bike 170 mm is right for you.
The recommendation for your person to go to 165 is based on nothing. Maybe 172.5 will even suit you better . . .

Comment 2
You dont mention any properties that can be used for advice.
Nothing about your fit, neither style, terrain you ride, special needs, special preferences, etc
How the heck people can give proper advice when there is no reference for advice?

Comment 3
This is a returning topic.
For ages people discuss cranklenghts. Tons of information on this forum and the internet. There is no solid formula for.
When sitting on a timetrial /triathlon bike in very Aero position you maybe could benefit from shorter cranks, because your knees comes less up to your chest.

sp3000

by sp3000

There is a GCN video on youtube that tests crank arm length, basically very very little difference at all between them unless you go crazy extreme. Are you running compact, semi, or classic?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

All things being almost equal, the shorter the better, because this is WW forum.