Trainer Voids Canyon Warranty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

asv

by asv

I saw an interesting post on Canyon's instagram

https://instagram.com/p/BQfwIgqjW-I/

It looks like any damage that occurs on a trainer voids the warranty? Is that a common policy? That seems absolutely nuts in the age of Zwift.

I was excited about Canyon coming to the USA, but that warranty policy seems odd. Looking at their warranty its not a lifetime warranty on the frame like Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, etc, its only 6 years. On the plus side it is transferable.

Any experiences positive or negative with Canyon's warranty?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

The loads on a turbo can't be any worse than going through a pot hole so I don't know how they can void the warranty. Seems bizzarre. I regularly run my cervelo in a turbo
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

AJS914

by AJS914

From a practical point of view, how will they know the bike was on a trainer?

Mep

by Mep

Very very good to know. My guess is that they'll eventually phase this out, but unless this gets more publicity I don't see it really hurting their sales.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Not being able to use their frames on a trainer is definitely not going to HELP their sales!

gsindela

by gsindela

With no due respect to Canyon, that is absolute BS.
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

hambini wrote:The loads on a turbo can't be any worse than going through a pot hole so I don't know how they can void the warranty. Seems bizzarre. I regularly run my cervelo in a turbo

Pothole has the tires and wheels to absorb the load. You're also generally "riding" (often underweighted) through the hole.

On a trainer the bike is supported only at the dropouts and taking riders full weight standing up cranking on it.

Not saying it shouldn't withstand it but the loads are different. Other brands also have disclaimer against trainer use.

scottmmw

by scottmmw

Canyon designed the bike for the road, not to sit on a trainer hence why they won't cover any damage done on a trainer. Definitely didn't stop me buying one, in fact it never even entered my head as an issue.

Shrike

by Shrike

scottmmw wrote:Canyon designed the bike for the road, not to sit on a trainer hence why they won't cover any damage done on a trainer. Definitely didn't stop me buying one, in fact it never even entered my head as an issue.

Precisely the problem.

People should know and be made aware clearly of trainer policy as Zwift etc are increasingly prevalent, and the marketing regularly shows posh carbon bikes on them. Tacx has a model sprinting out of the saddle on an expensive carbon Colnago frame in their video marketing for the Flux, for example.

Any play at all in the rear dropouts will quickly wear carbon away. People need to be super careful and get the bike on tight, making sure the dropouts are definitely fully engaged on the axle.

Hopefully we'll see manufacturers up their game when it comes to designing both trainers and frames to better accommodate trainer usage. They can't simply write the situation off by saying, 'oh well just use a crap bike you don't mind breaking on it if something goes wrong'. That's not reflective of actual usage.

Stueys

by Stueys

Shrike wrote:
scottmmw wrote:Canyon designed the bike for the road, not to sit on a trainer hence why they won't cover any damage done on a trainer. Definitely didn't stop me buying one, in fact it never even entered my head as an issue.

Precisely the problem.

People should know and be made aware clearly of trainer policy as Zwift etc are increasingly prevalent, and the marketing regularly shows posh carbon bikes on them. Tacx has a model sprinting out of the saddle on an expensive carbon Colnago frame in their video marketing for the Flux, for example.

Any play at all in the rear dropouts will quickly wear carbon away. People need to be super careful and get the bike on tight, making sure the dropouts are definitely fully engaged on the axle.

Hopefully we'll see manufacturers up their game when it comes to designing both trainers and frames to better accommodate trainer usage. They can't simply write the situation off by saying, 'oh well just use a crap bike you don't mind breaking on it if something goes wrong'. That's not reflective of actual usage.

The hilarious thing is that canyon have been very active with their marketing and sponsorship on zwift, competitions, pro team event, climbing event, canyon bikes on zwift etc. Somewhat ironic when it appears you can't use their bikes on a trainer....

kervelo

by kervelo

The trainer use issue has been discussed several times, for example here:
viewtopic.php?t=132217

I think the general consensus is that it is totally safe for the frame, if done correctly.
http://zwiftblog.com/will-indoor-traini ... bon-frame/

maquisard

by maquisard

As a few have pointed out, a modern carbon frame is more than capable enough of handling the loads from riding on a turbo trainer. Yes the forces are different but this isn't going to trouble a carbon fibre frame that has to absorb sudden stress/strains like hitting a pothole or bump in the road at 80 kph.

The problem, again as a few have said, is that most modern carbon bikes use carbon fibre dropouts front and rear. These will wear and get damaged if the bike is not clamped in place securely. This is the sort of damage the likes of Canyon are distancing themselves front with this warranty restriction.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

I have had a my carbon dropouts destroyed by a Kickr. Luckily insurance covered it. Think about it carefully. In a trainer the forces acting on the dropouts are lateral and compressive. On the road they are vertical and the only compression is by the skewer which the bike is designed for.

If you want to smash it up on a kickr I would get an old aluminium frame that you don't care about. Completely understand Canyom here and I would say that quite a few people have had what I have had happen to them so they know there is a problem and are protecting themselves

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tilf

by tilf

Stueys wrote:The hilarious thing is that canyon have been very active with their marketing and sponsorship on zwift, competitions, pro team event, climbing event, canyon bikes on zwift etc. Somewhat ironic when it appears you can't use their bikes on a trainer....

They even post pictures of their bikes being used on trainers. They would have a very difficult time denying a warranty when they essentially market it via social media using pictures of their bikes on trainers. German/EU law provides pretty good consumer protections -- might be harder for those outside the EU to get government involvement though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike