Edco Monobloc : chain skip after new chain install on only 1 cog

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

When building up my new Canyon, I choose to try the Edco Monobloc cassette instead of DA or Red. Choise was dictatad by price, weight, 12-25 version and no possibliy for craking / faillure like some of you have experienced with DA. I knew I took a little risk regarding sfifting ( reality is, shifting is less smooth than DA or Campy for sure, but OK) and not having the ability to only change 1 cog if worn.

On my previous bikes, equiped with Campy, I changed the chain after 3,5 - 4k km, and can kept the cassette through 3 chains. After that, I usually get chain skip on the 15T (cog I use the most). As I have some spare ones, I change only that one, and can further use the cassette with 1 or 2 chains without any problems.

With the Monobloc, I knew it was impossible to change only 1 cog, but I was OK with the idea of changing the whole cassette after gone through 3 chains. Begin this week, at the 3,5K km point, I changed the DA chain, and to my horror, I already have chain skipp on the 15T cog :evil: It runs very smoothly on it, but past 300w, it skips. On all other cogs, not any problem, even at around 1K watts! I'm really disapointed by that early wear of the 15T, especially because :
1) I've gone to 52T on the front (instead of 50), and thus, I use the 52 -19 a lot more than before on flats, so I was expecting the 15T to last even longer than before.
2) It's a steel cassette, so supposed to last longer than the TI cogs of campy and DA

Question I have now. If I continue to use the monobloc, being carefull not to put to much watt's on the 15T, as the chain will start to wear, will the skipp on the 15T stop again? If so, god nows how musch km's it will take? Or should I bin it, and replace it with a DA for the peace of mind and ease of use?

Marin

by Marin

How long did you ride it for? Usually after about 150km, the cassette will be fine again.

I buy most of my cassettes used, some will skip for a while and are ok after riding for a bit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You have this wrong you change a chain after it reach a particularwear point not after a fixed mumber of rides. For ifj leave a chain on for more than 2k the cassestte is screwed and will not take a new chain.

F45

by F45

Shark tooth profile on the 15T "cog"?

emorydptt

by emorydptt

Why not use and Ultegra cassette?
Cheaper and lasts longer.
be Khoi, be Khang!
-2014 Cipollini Bond EPS | 2017 enigma echo SR11 | 2011 Time RXR ULTeam SR11 | 2010 Colnago EPS SR11 | 2013 Colnago C59 SR-EPS | 2011 Colnago Prestige Di2 | 2013 Specialized Shiv TT SWorks SR11

corky

by corky

emorydptt wrote:Why not use and Ultegra cassette?

You've already worn an Edco block out....wow

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Photo of the teeth on the 15 tooth cog might help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

Marin wrote:How long did you ride it for? Usually after about 150km, the cassette will be fine again.

I buy most of my cassettes used, some will skip for a while and are ok after riding for a bit.

Good to know. Something like 300 à 350 km until now.

Delorre

by Delorre

bm0p700f wrote:You have this wrong you change a chain after it reach a particularwear point not after a fixed mumber of rides. For ifj leave a chain on for more than 2k the cassestte is screwed and will not take a new chain.

I have a Park Tool to check chain stretch :wink: I did use it before the chain swap. Wear was still OK, but 3,5K km has always been on the safe side of things for my use, allowing me to wear down of few chains on the same cassette.

Delorre

by Delorre

mr4fox wrote:Photo of the teeth on the 15 tooth cog might help

Will do this evening. Profile is not sharp, but you clearly see that some material has worn down on the 15T.

Delorre

by Delorre

corky wrote:
emorydptt wrote:Why not use and Ultegra cassette?

You've already worn an Edco block out....wow

I suspect that the low weight has something to do with the fast(er) wear of the tooths :( Previous Record cassettes have last me a lot longer, but were also heavier.

mr4fox

by mr4fox

Are you sure it's skipping and not just trying to auto shift up/down due to imperfect derailleur alignment for example?
I've had a chain skip on a badly worn cog on a 100hp motorcycle but never on a bicycle. I would have though it would have to be really...really worn to skip

BRM

by BRM

When starting with a new cassette you buy 3 chains.
- First chain you use lets say 1000 km then take off, and lay it in your closet.
- Second chain you also use a 1000 km and take off, lay it in your closet.
- Third chain you use the normal time and when it is weared out you change it with one of the others, wear out that one too and use your last chain.

In this way your chains are Always pre-weared and will fit better on partly weared cogs.
But also on new cogs it will give no problems.

Delorre

by Delorre

Here a pic of the cassette. Forgive me for the very light rust spots. I cleaned the chain yesterday, but still have to apply some lube. 15T is the 4th cog:

You see there is a little less material as on other cogs. It's def. chain skip, because it runs very smoothlty on the workstand and at moderate efforts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I don't think your cassette look obviously worn!
Why don't you mail Edco and see what they say about your issue?
I have 3 Edco Monoblock. Shimano shift a bit better, but both DA and UL creak alot + i dislike the marks they make at the free hub body.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.