Etap problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jase46

by Jase46

Hi guys
I'm running Etap on my roadie

I have had it fitted perfect by a sram dealer in Australia.

When I'm going for a big chain ring change it throws the chain starlight off 9 times out of ten

The crank is aligned up perfect
The adjustment screws are perfect
The front derailleur is set up great.

Bike changes gear greatbin all the other gears

I'm been told that the front derailleur is knacketed.
He said there should be any movement whe it's in the big ring(movement with your hand)

I have emailed ribble but they are asking if we have installed it correctly.

Any known problems you guys know of?

Thanks for your time

Jase

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Obviously its not set up perfectly!!

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=142807&hilit=etap+front+shifting

The reverse of your problem, but if you check your set up according to whats said there.
Official cafe stop tester

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Yeah I have trouble getting it into the big ring. Hard to pinpoint the issue as well. You can set it all up nicely, then go out on the road and it'll jam up when trying to shift into the big ring. Stop, put it back into the small ring, and try again, and it'll be fine. Real head-scratcher. Mostly just riding around in the small ring at the moment, because of it.

On my things to fix some weekend bucket list.

wingguy

by wingguy

Jase46 wrote:When I'm going for a big chain ring change it throws the chain starlight off 9 times out of ten

The crank is aligned up perfect
The adjustment screws are perfect
The front derailleur is set up great.

The obvious answer would be that this is not the case...

Now it may be that you've got a duff part but first, if it is throwing the chain off all the time, by what criteria are you judging that it is 'set up great'?

moonoi

by moonoi

What crank and rings are you running? I had a similar issue with my Quarq Red with Red chain rings, and it turned out to be because the LBS that set it up, hadn't correctly aligned the chain rings, once corrected I've had no issues with the chain being thrown off. There is an indicator to show how it should be aligned on SRAM hidden bolt cranks or standard 5 bolt cranks, so you should be able to check it yourself.

Shrike

by Shrike

I'm on Rotor myself Aero NoQ..

Jase46

by Jase46

Thanks for the info guys.

When I say set up great, I mean all within sram guidelines.

I'm running Etap cranks 39/53.
Now I'm running no washers apart from the ones sitting on top of the crank bearings.

Someone said you need a wavy washer, but then the shop said you don't need one due to running a collar that sits on the crank that sorts it out(don't know name sorry).

Jase46

by Jase46

Moonoi

That sounds like a good check.
How do I find out if my cranks are aligned correctly.

grover

by grover

Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlLwu-SDo5w

What bottom bracket 'standard' do you have? I'm assuming BB30 or PF30 given talk of wavy washers and preload collars.

If there is a threaded preload collar on the non-drive side then you don't need a wavy washer. You can the preload collar in the picture below. Is that what your setup looks like. If so all you need is that on the non-drive side, and a 13mm spacer on the drive side.

I initially had my etap throwing the chain over the outside of the big ring when shifting from small ring to big ring. Adjust the 'high limit screw' (which I recall might be a reverse thread - watch the video). All I needed was an eighth of a turn to move the derailleur in toward the frame a tiny bit. Now I get no rub at either extreme of the cassette and I don't throw chains. Initially it had looked like I had the derailleur aligned with the rings, and now it still does. If the chain is being thrown off the outside, the derailleur is moving too far to the outside (or perhaps the chainring isn't true/straight).

Jase46

by Jase46

Great info dude, thanks

I have the same preload collar
On chain ring side I have just a washer that sits on top of the pf30 bearing.

moonoi

by moonoi

Just look on the back of the chain rings, it will say "with hidden bolt, align crank arms here" and "with non hidden bolt, align crank arms here"

As you're running the Red eTap cranks, you need to ensure the chain rings are aligned with the "hidden bolt" indicator.

You can see the markings on this pic of a force22 crank and chain rings

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com