S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

morganb

by morganb

I like the looks of it, its a bit more modern if a tad generic. The lack of 0 offset seatpost on the other hand is bewildering. They don't even have one available on the dealer end so if you have short femurs the bike is not usable as it stands.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

orange

by orange

morganb wrote:I like the looks of it, its a bit more modern if a tad generic. The lack of 0 offset seatpost on the other hand is bewildering. They don't even have one available on the dealer end so if you have short femurs the bike is not usable as it stands.

yes, that's odd - have you checked with specialized themselves - they must have something in the pipeline

liam7020

by liam7020

morganb wrote:I like the looks of it, its a bit more modern if a tad generic. The lack of 0 offset seatpost on the other hand is bewildering. They don't even have one available on the dealer end so if you have short femurs the bike is not usable as it stands.

Yeah, neither the 25mm nor the 0mm really suit me so the fact you can't change the seatpost on the new frame makes it a non starter.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

ergott

by ergott

liam7020 wrote:I usually like to have the latest thing but, and I'm probably in the vast minority here, I don't really like the new Tarmac shape. To me it resembles a cross between a Colnago V1-R and a Canyon Aeroad. Also not fussed on the fact that it's now not possible to change the Spesh seatpost to another brand. The supplied 25mm setback doesn't suit me and the first thing I did when I got both of my Tarmacs was to swop out the post.

I saw another forum member post details of a new painted Tarmac in 56cm weighing in at nearly 900g and when you add on the extra weight of the direct mount brakes it's not a huge saving on my present Tarmac which weighs in at 1048g. So not for me this time.

I hear you. I have a '16 and happy with it. There are a lot of changes (basically a completely different bike). There are bound to be refinements so getting it the first year seems like a mistake. The '16 I have has undergone improvements to the design over a lot of years so it's really dialed in.

Swannie

by Swannie

orange wrote:

yes, that's odd - have you checked with specialized themselves - they must have something in the pipeline

My lbs has a 0 offset on his Sagan tarmac.
The bike looks so much better in real life compared to web pics.
Took mine today for its first spin. Felt great! More comfort vs sl4. It seems to hold speed better.
So far i love it!

pyrahna

by pyrahna

liam7020 wrote:I usually like to have the latest thing but, and I'm probably in the vast minority here, I don't really like the new Tarmac shape. To me it resembles a cross between a Colnago V1-R and a Canyon Aeroad. Also not fussed on the fact that it's now not possible to change the Spesh seatpost to another brand. The supplied 25mm setback doesn't suit me and the first thing I did when I got both of my Tarmacs was to swop out the post.

I saw another forum member post details of a new painted Tarmac in 56cm weighing in at nearly 900g and when you add on the extra weight of the direct mount brakes it's not a huge saving on my present Tarmac which weighs in at 1048g. So not for me this time.

What weight penalty for direct mount are you referring to? Like for like Shimano Direct Mount brakes are a little (10-20grams) lighter than their traditional equivalents. And if you want to go hog wild the EE brakes work (with an adapter for smaller sizes).

moonoi

by moonoi

Has anyone tried installing the Campagnolo Direct mount brakes yet, and if so did you use 2 front brakes or front and stay brake? Planning on installing Campagnolo Chorus on my SL6 when it arrives and looking at this option rather than DA/Ultegra or EE brakes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liam7020

by liam7020

What weight penalty for direct mount are you referring to? Like for like Shimano Direct Mount brakes are a little (10-20grams) lighter than their traditional equivalents. And if you want to go hog wild the EE brakes work (with an adapter for smaller sizes).

I don’t use Shimano brakes. The TRP R920 brakes I have on my Tarmac are sub 260g, soon to be replaced by a pair of TRP R979SL calipers with a real weight of 235g which probably represents a saving of 50-60g over the DA direct mount brakes. :wink:

The EE brakes are indeed very light but they’re hideously expensive and, to my eye, are not particularly aesthetic.
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

pyrahna

by pyrahna

liam7020 wrote:....

I don’t use Shimano brakes. The TRP R920 brakes I have on my Tarmac are sub 260g, soon to be replaced by a pair of TRP R979SL calipers with a real weight of 235g which probably represents a saving of 50-60g over the DA direct mount brakes. :wink:

The EE brakes are indeed very light but they’re hideously expensive and, to my eye, are not particularly aesthetic.

Wow, I wasn't aware that TRP had gotten some of their brakes that light. That is a penalty in that case, but once again it can be fixed by $ (i.e. EE). I find the EE brakes attractive in a mechanical jewel kind of way in person. I think they look ugly as sin in pictures.

Arnoud

by Arnoud

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Arnoud

by Arnoud

Pictures made last weekend. Not so impressed by it.

Arnoud

by Arnoud

Just be a daredevil and go for it [emoji6][emoji109]

Arnoud

by Arnoud

I had the chance to ride this one. Very impressed by it!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I like the security zip ties.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

Arnoud wrote:Image

Pictures made last weekend. Not so impressed by it.

Had high hopes for this color but from these pictures I'm not a fan.