S-Works SL 2018

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I wish they care about short guys like me and introduced a frame with a reach anything shorter than 375. :(
(Specialized, can YOU hear me??)

jeffy

by jeffy

Threaded BB

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I think Spec needs to shuffle around their marketing/product mix a bit if they are going to have so many bikes in the lineup. If you go for 6+ model lineup, you've gotta be bang on with where your customer is. It's really hard to market an "All arounder" message in that showroom. I think the Tarmac gets lost here... "When do I use this bike?" :

Code: Select all

buyer sold on: Aero      Comfort        Crit/Stiffness         Lightweight    Allroad
Specialized       Venge      Roubaix        Tarmac/Allez             ?           Crux/Diverge
Trek              Mondone    Domaine           ??                  Emonda        Boone/Crockett/Domane
Cannondale        ??         Synapse       Supersix/CAAD          Supersix/CAAD   Slate/CAADx
BMC               ??         RoadMachine/GF     ??                TeamMachine     Crossmach
Canyon            Aeroad     Endurance       Ultimate             Ultimate        Inflate     
Giant             Propel     Defy              ??                  ??            Revolt/TCX

?? = no direct marketing message

gangbang

by gangbang

Tarmac S-Works weights similar to BMC SLR 01, but only one of them goes to "lightweight" category? Very strange ranking though.
And where is TCR for Giant?

russianbear

by russianbear

gangbang wrote:Tarmac S-Works weights similar to BMC SLR 01, but only one of them goes to "lightweight" category? Very strange ranking though.

The Tarmac can't even break the kilo mark on frame weight, the SLR01 is ~200g lighter.

I'm pretty excited for a weigh weenie Tarmac frame if that's what's coming. I just hope they get their supply line stuff in order for the demand and not run out of stock. Always a problem with Specialized.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

nemeseri wrote:I wish they care about short guys like me and introduced a frame with a reach anything shorter than 375. :(

Just curious, what's your ideal stem length?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Lelandjt wrote:
nemeseri wrote:I wish they care about short guys like me and introduced a frame with a reach anything shorter than 375. :(

Just curious, what's your ideal stem length?

100-110mm depending on the handlebars. Unfortunately I don't like short stems and I'd need a 90mm stem for the current tarmac.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

gangbang wrote:Tarmac S-Works weights similar to BMC SLR 01, but only one of them goes to "lightweight" category? Very strange ranking though.

Didn't do it by specs, rather by marketing approach. What trend are you following with what bike? Why do you have 7 types or road bikes? If you're a customer thinking lightweight is the most important spec (and you're not getting clear weight information ) are you going to fall for the Tarmac's or Emonda's marketing message?

Samklee15

by Samklee15

1swiftvelo wrote:New Tarmac is coming. Horizontal top tube and seat stays like the venge and Roubaix. Disc and rim brake.

Almost like?

wingguy

by wingguy

jfranci3 wrote:It's really hard to market an "All arounder" message in that showroom. I think the Tarmac gets lost here... "When do I use this bike?"

Does this conclusion have anything to do with real world sales figures though?

'Cos I'm pretty sure that the Tarmac is still a very successful bike in terms of units shifted :noidea:

ergott

by ergott

Tracerboy wrote:I really, really hope that Specialized make new Tarmac first real eTap frame without no neccesary cable ports 8)

You mean this?

1swiftvelo

by 1swiftvelo

Also look for a new diverge.

vinuneuro

by vinuneuro

Lelandjt wrote:The Diverge is pretty new. My guess is they wait a year to see how the suspension stem Roubaix sells before updating the Diverge with or without that system.

It was introduced fall 2014.
2016 Diverge Expert

ssia157

by ssia157

Well it looks I may have spotted the first 2018 Tarmac or maybe Pro-Spec Roubaix. The Quick Step-Floors riders were out on the Flanders course doing recon today. I noticed the 'low-mount' seatstay, low-mount seat clamp (e.g.- the current Roubaix), rim brakes, and level top tube on the bike Boonen was riding. It was very sneaky of Specialized to paint it similarly to his special edition team frame.

Here are a couple of shots I noticed, and a link to a video where you can see the entire profile of the frame.

https://www.facebook.com/quickstepteam/ ... S_TIMELINE

boonen_1.jpg

Boonen_2.jpg

benzebub

by benzebub

he's riding a roubaix.. a clip showed up today of him riding up the paterberg and you can clearly see the future shock system working. He also confirmed this in a comment on an instagram page (forgot which page)
But I could be wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com