Recommend a decent easily available compressor plug thing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

I have this at the moment,

FSA Compressor
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/fsa ... 0wodvwAIZQ

and wish it would piss off. Maybe find a nice train to jump in front of. I can't seem to get the top cap to tighten down well. The spacers above the stem can spin with just a little bit of a flick though yes, the play is gone. Just doesn't inspire much confidence.

RedCoke

by RedCoke

Shimano pro. very light and good quality.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

I've had some good luck with FSA. Make sure you use carbon paste to create some friction.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Shrike wrote:I have this at the moment,

FSA Compressor
https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/fsa ... 0wodvwAIZQ

and wish it would piss off. Maybe find a nice train to jump in front of. I can't seem to get the top cap to tighten down well. The spacers above the stem can spin with just a little bit of a flick though yes, the play is gone. Just doesn't inspire much confidence.

Sounds like you simply don't have the plug deep enough in the steertube and the top cap is bottoming out before it's providing any preload at all. Thus the spacer above the stem can still spin easily. That should not be happening. Or you don't have enough torque on the expanding piece, allowing it to slide up the steertube as you turn the top cap.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Attermann

by Attermann

Sounds like you dont use it right, you need a unbraco that is a size smaller then the top, and tighten that, and then tighten the top part

Shrike

by Shrike

Hmm alright.. I'll have another look at it tomorrow before buyin' a new one :x

Attermann

by Attermann

my father had the same problem, until we figured out you need to tighten the bottom screw first :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com