Seat comfort changing over time?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

superdx

by superdx

As you progress (more fitness, more muscle mass etc.) in cycling, do you find that your seat preferences change?

I've been on the same saddle since I started cycling 3 years ago, but feels like the last couple months my butt is wanting to go with something a bit narrower. Is it possible that as you progress more in cycling that your sit bones need something else?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

last time I did a century , my arse decided it didn't like the Sworks power anymore and this is after doing 3 centuries prior with it and using it for a year +. I'm back to my AX saddle now.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Saddle preferences can definitely change over time. I rode and loved SLRs for years, and suddenly started to find them uncomfortable on longer rides. Switched to Specialized Romin and am happy again.

I tried switching back to SLR several times but sadly can no longer ride them. I notice the lack of center channel the most.

Miller

by Miller

If you get more fitness that comes with more power and less weight so, all in all, on average your backside isn't pressing so hard on the saddle. Yes, this allows a change to more performance-oriented saddles. Plus I think the industry has generally improved the saddles on offer over recent years.

mattr

by mattr

If you've actually been on the same saddle, it's quite possibly knackered by now.

AJS914

by AJS914

My saddle preferences don't change but have evolved as I've tried new saddles. Saddles seem to have gotten a lot better too. I standardized on the Prologo Scratch. I always liked the basic Selle Italia Turbo semi-round shape. I played around with Flite saddles for a while but they were never that comfortable. I tried a Fizik Alliante which had a similar shape but seemed saggy in the middle.

I came across an inexpensive used Scatch Pro and decided to try it because it reminded me of the old Turbo. My butt was in love. Now, I have a Scratch Pro Nack (carbon) on my road bike and a Scratch 2 Pas (channel) on my mountain bike. I also tried the wider 143mm model and prefer that now (compared to the 134mm).

kode54

by kode54

i've often wondered about saddles. was using the Antares 00 and eventually migrated to the Arione 00. but now, i think i got so used to the Arione 00, that i have to find another one to sit on.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

superdx

by superdx

mattr wrote:If you've actually been on the same saddle, it's quite possibly knackered by now.

It's the same saddle design (old Fizik Aliante), but the current one I'm riding on is about 8 months out of the box.

Miller wrote:If you get more fitness that comes with more power and less weight so, all in all, on average your backside isn't pressing so hard on the saddle. Yes, this allows a change to more performance-oriented saddles. Plus I think the industry has generally improved the saddles on offer over recent years.

Update: I tried swapping out to the re-designed Aliante, which is narrower slightly and has much less padding. Definitely more performance oriented, it weighs almost 50g less.

First 23km didn't really notice any discomfort so will keep trying this week and see how it turns out. At the very least I didn't need to stand and re-adjust multiple times in this short ride.

kode54

by kode54

i had an Aliante early on...the dip in the saddle sagged more towards the 4 years that it was on the bike. it was looking pretty bad and the dip could have been a bit more.
i then switched to the Antares 00 and finally to the Arione 00 which don't dip at all in the middle (no sagging). i can move and reposition on the Arione the best.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Alumen

by Alumen

kode54 wrote:i had an Aliante early on...the dip in the saddle sagged more towards the 4 years that it was on the bike. it was looking pretty bad and the dip could have been a bit more.
i then switched to the Antares 00 and finally to the Arione 00 which don't dip at all in the middle (no sagging). i can move and reposition on the Arione the best.

Did your saddle width choice changed with that as well ?
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

perwjensen

by perwjensen

Another variable that will affect your saddle preference is your padding in your shorts. So as you move from thick to thin padding your saddle preference is likely to change.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I was riding S works toupe for 4 years on both bikes. Then suddenly found i had a hot spot on one sitbone when riding this saddle. Tried everything to get rid of it (cleat position, stretching, nose tilt, seat height) but couldn't adjust it out. Switched to a berk saddle: much more comfy. Not sure what happened, but wasn't the saddle packing in as both identical saddles were affected simultaneously.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MJB

by MJB

Fitness comes and goes with me esp. aerobics so my experience is purely comfort related.

Years ago the 143mm Toupe Gel was a good saddle for me except for longer rides where I found the saddle edge dug into the insides of my thighs which was uncomfortable at worst but it did take my mind right off riding which was a fun killer for me and did wear out a pair of bib knicks prematurely.

I tried and failed several saddles before switching to SMP Glider and SMP Dymanic (138mm) for several years which were about as comfortable as the Toupe Gel but never dug into my thighs on longer rides.

I have now gone back to a Romin Evo 143mm and it seems to be as good as it's ever been for me - top side comfort and the slighly more contoured saddle edge is yet to bite my thighs.....

MikeD

by MikeD

I think they do change. Did for me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

superdx wrote:As you progress (more fitness, more muscle mass etc.) in cycling, do you find that your seat preferences change?

I've been on the same saddle since I started cycling 3 years ago, but feels like the last couple months my butt is wanting to go with something a bit narrower. Is it possible that as you progress more in cycling that your sit bones need something else?

Some relatively recent research on rider saddle width preferance showed that it was directly related to power output, not sit bone width, so what you are observing would support that. I thought I had seen a more in depth article on the study, but can't lay hands on it right now, however here are 2 articles that touch on and refer to some of the findings:
http://www.velonews.com/2015/12/bikes-a ... les_391089
http://www.bikeradar.com/us/road/gear/a ... rts-48355/

Another crazy finding from the study was that many riders can't distinguish between a saddle with vs. without a cutout, however both the tech editors referenced in the velownews article could.

There is also something to be said for what others have mentioned here regarding simply trying more saddles. Your ultimate favorite saddle only holds that place until you try one even more suited to you.