Giro Techlace Prolight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ringo

by Ringo

I think that sports which require your foot to stay locked in one position (snowboard, cycling etc) and don’t require foot flex (like running, soccer etc) are supposed to have shoes without laces for obvious reasons.
I believe it’s a gimmick and nothing more.
They re beautiful but the fact that they use also Velcro underlines that this system have flaws.
I hate all the preparation I have to do before I go cycling (dress up, check the bike, fill the water bottles..) the last thing I want is to lace my shoes..
The nightmare starts when you finish your workout and you have no patience!
Even with full boa on my bonts, I’m too tired to get them off! It takes forever!

If they add elastic laces which will adapt to foot without lacing I am in!
XXTi
C60

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:26 pm
IchDien wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:26 am
Does anyone have any reviews of these?
Some quick notes:
Fits true-to-size whereas the Empire SLX felt a half-size small.
Fits very much like the Empire SLX otherwise. It's easier to really cinch down the midfoot and ankle while leaving a bit of room for the toes to splay.
As with the Empires, I've never felt the need to adjust the laces midride. With my Boa equipped shoes, I tend to loosen them a click or two midride.
Like all Giro shoes, the cleat mounting position is about a centimeter more rearward than on other brands.
Replacement Techlaces in different sizes still aren't available. I have very low volume feet and the top techlace is almost too long.
The rear lug is glued on and will eventually start falling off. Make sure to reglue it before it detaches completely.
You don't want to know how much it costs with EPP.

Overall a great shoe that only needs minor tweaks for a v1.1 or v2.0.
I agree with this... except I dont have the issue with rear lug...yet anyways. I like them way more then BOA and I'm super quick them with in T1 ( I tried them in a triathlon)
Last edited by spdntrxi on Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

rgamble

by rgamble

Having ridden Prolights the past 7 months and having put a lot of miles on them the quick take is they're like Empires but lighter and easier to live with by virtue of the Velcro clousures.

The fit is consistent with Empires and in my experience the same as Sidi's in that for my average dimenstioned feet the 43.5 (US 10) fits perfect. In my case the variable insoles than come with them worked better than Lake heat mouldables. The outer soles don't budge.

You can put laces in them as I have but switched back. Janes Haung reviewed them somewhere and did just that.

Coupled with a light pedal like an Expresso 12 you've got a pedal/shoe combination at 70% of the average shoe alone. This being Weight Weenies that should be relevant. Beyond that the reduced rotational burden over a couple of hours probably makes a difference. I definitely perceive a difference between this set up & RXS's with Sidi's on another bike.

Given the light weight uppers they're super breathable, really nice in hot weather. Ironically that's the only down side to the shoes. If your bike slides out from underneath you *ahem* in a corner be prepared to write one off as it will shread.

da123

by da123

I've ridden them for a few hundred miles.

They are bigger in the toe box than the Empires. Otherwise fit the same.

I removed the laces and the velcro, it is easier to get the exact tightness you want that way.

There is some initial stretch, but then it settles down.

Stiff sole, but inevitably the flexible upper means these aren't a shoe for sprinters or those wanting a super locked down feel. Otherwise, very comfy, noticeably light on the feet and very breathable.

muffinman

by muffinman

They also don’t last through crashes at all. I hit the deck in a crit with these shoes and now they’re very holy. Still comfortable though.
Last edited by muffinman on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

If you need a different size lace for the velcro techlace prolight, email Giro's customer service. They are very accomodating. They will send you a pair(s). (The initial laces I received were too tight at the top and middle.)

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

desperado95219 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:45 pm
If you need a different size lace for the velcro techlace prolight, email Giro's customer service. They are very accomodating. They will send you a pair(s). (The initial laces I received were too tight at the top and middle.)

good to know.. I could use some longer ones
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package