How to wire up new Bar-End Junction A for Di2 (EW-RS910)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Westbank

by Westbank

dak wrote:
w8weenie wrote:I've read through this thread and see that the 3T AeroNova bar does have an opening to allow internal cable routing for the RS910, but I haven't seen any confirmation about the Zipp SL-70 (unless I missed it). Can anyone confirm if the SL-70 has enough of an opening to allow internal routing from the bar-end up to the shifter? I want to avoid drilling a hole near the bar end to route the cable externally if possible.

I did find one photo that suggests this is possible with the SL-70: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQzDP1flJJW/

So I just got off the phone with SRAM/Zipp and they confirmed that their bars do NOT pass through and are not compatible with the bar end. Not saying nobody's done it, but she said there is blockage which precludes the use of the RS910.

Also called Easton, as my LBS has not had success passing through on my EC70 Aero bars. Easton rep gave a half-baked answer that they have been able to do it on some but on others the resin creates too much blockage. Bike shop is going to give one more college try. We'll see I guess.. :noidea:

Otherwise I'm ditching the aero thing and going back to my trusty Ergonova Team... :evil:

Thanks for checking with Zipp. I had the Zipp SL-70 on my list.

Anyone know if it's possible with the Deda Superleggera carbon handlebar ?
http://www.dedaelementi.com/?product=su ... ra&lang=en

dak

by dak

Westbank wrote:
dak wrote:
w8weenie wrote:I've read through this thread and see that the 3T AeroNova bar does have an opening to allow internal cable routing for the RS910, but I haven't seen any confirmation about the Zipp SL-70 (unless I missed it). Can anyone confirm if the SL-70 has enough of an opening to allow internal routing from the bar-end up to the shifter? I want to avoid drilling a hole near the bar end to route the cable externally if possible.

I did find one photo that suggests this is possible with the SL-70: https://www.instagram.com/p/BQzDP1flJJW/

So I just got off the phone with SRAM/Zipp and they confirmed that their bars do NOT pass through and are not compatible with the bar end. Not saying nobody's done it, but she said there is blockage which precludes the use of the RS910.

Also called Easton, as my LBS has not had success passing through on my EC70 Aero bars. Easton rep gave a half-baked answer that they have been able to do it on some but on others the resin creates too much blockage. Bike shop is going to give one more college try. We'll see I guess.. :noidea:

Otherwise I'm ditching the aero thing and going back to my trusty Ergonova Team... :evil:

from the pic on the Deda website it does not look like they have internal routing of any kind?
My 2016 Evo Hi-Mod
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=141400

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Westbank

by Westbank

dak wrote:
Westbank wrote:
dak wrote:

from the pic on the Deda website it does not look like they have internal routing of any kind?

Yes they do. Look at some better pictures over here: https://www.bike24.com/p2141951.html

I think there's even space in those channels to fit a spare tube :D

CrimsonKarter21

by CrimsonKarter21

I might add that Specialized Aerofly (the zero rise, haven't tried the +25) can fit a Junction B into the cable ports on the top of the bars. I have run a 200mm and a 300mm from the left and right shifter, connected at the Junction B, and run a 1400mm wire from B to a second Junction B in the DT.
The beauty of the Di2 system is that you can have several Junction boxes and run them wherever you please.

w8weenie

by w8weenie

dak wrote:So I just got off the phone with SRAM/Zipp and they confirmed that their bars do NOT pass through and are not compatible with the bar end. Not saying nobody's done it, but she said there is blockage which precludes the use of the RS910.

Thanks very much for checking on this - I had planned to call Zipp this afternoon to ask them. This is unfortunate.

So for Plan B (external routing), what is the fracture risk of drilling the SL-70 near the bar end? I typically would not be gripping the bar that far down.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

w8weenie wrote:
dak wrote:So I just got off the phone with SRAM/Zipp and they confirmed that their bars do NOT pass through and are not compatible with the bar end. Not saying nobody's done it, but she said there is blockage which precludes the use of the RS910.

Thanks very much for checking on this - I had planned to call Zipp this afternoon to ask them. This is unfortunate.

So for Plan B (external routing), what is the fracture risk of drilling the SL-70 near the bar end? I typically would not be gripping the bar that far down.

I'd say you'd be fine. The SL70 is alu right? So even easier.

The hole (or holes) aren't drilled that close to the end, because the RS910 is about 30mm long, then the 10mm connector, then the wire has to leave, so it'll be at least 40/50mm away from the end.

As long as you use nice sharp drill bits and start with a pilot hole, can't see any issues.

Question is, will you install dummy cables on the other side like Shimano says?!

KCookie

by KCookie

Was looking at the bar ends today at my LBS, sure is a good way to keep thing looking neat and tidy.
Would love this set up but have carbon bars with no internal routing.
I take it no one has tried drilling holes in their carbon bars yet. Is this a bad idea. !!!

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

KCookie wrote:Was looking at the bar ends today at my LBS, sure is a good way to keep thing looking neat and tidy.
I take it no one has tried drilling holes in their carbon bars yet. Is this a bad idea. !!!

Perfectly feasible if you do it neatly/properly.!

KCookie

by KCookie

cyclespeed wrote:
KCookie wrote:Was looking at the bar ends today at my LBS, sure is a good way to keep thing looking neat and tidy.

Perfectly feasible if you do it neatly/properly.!

Ok then, my LBS did say they would do it, so hey why not, I'll be the guinea pig. :D

kode54

by kode54

others have drilled their handlebars to pass through the e-tube wiring. also, some have drilled their frames. IIRC, most drilled an oval shape to as to not crimp the wire when at an angle. so make sure you make the holes elongated in the direction of the wire path. you don't want to have the carbon dig into the wire housing and eventually cut the wire.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

w8weenie

by w8weenie

cyclespeed wrote:I'd say you'd be fine. The SL70 is alu right? So even easier.

The hole (or holes) aren't drilled that close to the end, because the RS910 is about 30mm long, then the 10mm connector, then the wire has to leave, so it'll be at least 40/50mm away from the end.

As long as you use nice sharp drill bits and start with a pilot hole, can't see any issues.

Question is, will you install dummy cables on the other side like Shimano says?!

SL-70 is carbon fiber, if it were ALU I would feel a little better about it. I'll be picking up the SL-70 today and will see if the passage is indeed blocked.

I haven't read about the dummy cables you mentioned - what are these for?

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

w8weenie wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:I'd say you'd be fine. The SL70 is alu right? So even easier.

SL-70 is carbon fiber, if it were ALU I would feel a little better about it. I'll be picking up the SL-70 today and will see if the passage is indeed blocked.

I haven't read about the dummy cables you mentioned - what are these for?

Ah OK, I googled SL70 and it came up alu, I guess there are 2 versions.

The dummy cables, according to Shimano, are to even up the feel, so one side doesn't feel odd. I'm not sure I'd bother with that to be honest!

w8weenie

by w8weenie

Some good news on the SL-70. I was at Austin Tri-Cyclists yesterday, and the SRAM/ZIPP folks were setup outside (not sure why - perhaps South by Southwest). I asked them if they knew if the SL-70 was open to pass the wire for the RS910. The SRAM rep said it was, but it is tricky to get it through. So I bought the bar, and upon inspection at home, it appears to be blocked only by some plastic film packed into the bend. I'm not sure why it is there (moisture?).

I was able to use a coat hanger inserted from the top to easily poke through the plastic and have it come out the bar end (I filed the end of the coat hanger so that it was smooth to avoid scratching the inside of the tube). I tried pulling the plastic out, but no luck so far. I will try pushing it out from the top.
Attachments
Plastic film inside bar
Plastic film inside bar
Wire passed through
Wire passed through
Last edited by w8weenie on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Delorre

by Delorre

Is it possible to go end to end internally on your SL-70, f.ex to be able to wire from shifter to shifter?

w8weenie

by w8weenie

Delorre wrote:Is it possible to go end to end internally on your SL-70, f.ex to be able to wire from shifter to shifter?

Sorry, I should have tried that before. I'm happy to report that the SL-70 is open through the stem clamping area as well. I used a cable housing for this, and based on the noise I heard when the housing passed through the stem clamping area, there also appears to be plastic packed in that area. I was able to twist the housing and get it to pass through without too much difficulty.
Attachments
Cable housing routed through stem clamping area
Cable housing routed through stem clamping area

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com